Wheel spin with front wheel drive

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
Not heard of front wheel drive slip before. There is a very easy solution though

Step 1, switch on traction control (leave mine off so I can get the tail out on roundabouts, even when towing.)

Step 2, floor it ................ traction control stops wheelspin, jobs a good un!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Believe me Kanga - if you ever towed with a Front Wheel Drive car - wheel slip happens - I cannot believe you have never heard of it.

Traction Control - Brilliant isnt it! Our Freelander has it. I had a lot of fun the other year on the ice.

If you have never heard of FrontWD wheel slip - you may not have heard of the use of Traction Control in conjunction with ABS to produce "Hill Descent Control" used on many LR cars.

It is just as you say but of course it applies to all four wheels so even tho' that makes it even more capable - especialy on wet grass - I accept the fact that you will not like it.

Still if you run three cars - you could use one of the others to tow you out.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All but one of the many cars I've had were front wheel drive.

I have never had wheel slip. I've seen many 4x4 drivers simply flooring the throttle and taring up the grass on caravan sites though. This is where skill overcomes brute force.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Of course you have Stinky - its outrageous behaviour by each and every one of these brutish 4x4 drivers that made you what you are today no doubt.

But getting back on good old planet earth - do you think you could bring yourself to answer the question I posed on "How green is your car?"

Its on "Cut & Past" - just next door.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Of course you have - thats why 4x4's are recomended for towing heavy loads - its because the rip up the surface because their grip is SO inferior to a 2 wheel drive car.

I find your comments TOTALLY at odds with what I have seen. Dorset Steam Fair a couple of years ago, if it wasn't for the 4x4's that the Police asked for help most car drivers would have spent the night there!

At numerous Gymkanas a spot of rain has had horse boxes bogged down and 2 wheel drive cars churning up the field. The farmer was running round telling the drivers to stop as the damage to his field was getting so bad. Again - 4x4's in low range (thats a second lower range of gears in case you didn't know) and dif lock engaged (thats a device that locks the two propshafts as one) simply hitched up and towed every thing gently off the field with no further damage and the thanks of the Farmer.

Sorry Dave and Pete - your story just does not add up based upon my experience.

Once again "Methinks thou dost protest too much!"

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To answer your question, no the Ford and VW are no better or worse where wheelspin is involved. It is clear that you don't want a 4x4 that is fine and down to choice, just don't use your car where you really need to use a 4x4, and you should be fine.

PPPPPP.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Believe me Kanga - if you ever towed with a Front Wheel Drive car - wheel slip happens - I cannot believe you have never heard of it.

Traction Control - Brilliant isnt it! Our Freelander has it. I had a lot of fun the other year on the ice.

If you have never heard of FrontWD wheel slip - you may not have heard of the use of Traction Control in conjunction with ABS to produce "Hill Descent Control" used on many LR cars.

It is just as you say but of course it applies to all four wheels so even tho' that makes it even more capable - especialy on wet grass - I accept the fact that you will not like it.

Still if you run three cars - you could use one of the others to tow you out.
Think Kanga means his BMW is rear wheel drive, even worse in the slippy stuff, all you need to do is look at a site on Easter Bank holiday after a little rain to understand that.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jim, without doubt you cannot beat a four wheel drive towing a caravan of wet grass especially up a slight incline. However I use a company vehicle and cover over 50,000 mile per year and you will never find a four wheel drive which offers the comfort and refinement solo as a car. I currently drive an Accord estate diesel and use the caravan all year, you just have to make some compromises like using hardstandings. As previously mentioned good clutch control and always trying to maintain some forward momentum help in wet conditions. Richard S

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
Think Kanga means his BMW is rear wheel drive, even worse in the slippy stuff, all you need to do is look at a site on Easter Bank holiday after a little rain to understand that.
I always get the warden with his two wheel drive tractor to tow me off the grass.................... I can't stand getting the beemer muddy, I always have to look me best!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Of course you have Stinky - its outrageous behaviour by each and every one of these brutish 4x4 drivers that made you what you are today no doubt.

But getting back on good old planet earth - do you think you could bring yourself to answer the question I posed on "How green is your car?"

I looked on "cut and past" but couldn't find the question.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

It is on my post at 08:42 am 6th Oct.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Any chance of a sensible answer re the green credentials of our respective transport?

Kanga it seems has a gas guzzling 3 litre BMW as well as two other cars (goodness I am still shocked!!)

Any responces from Dave or Stinky?

I would love to compare the 39 mpg equivelent and low emmissions of my planet eating 4x4 to what you guys drive - but I notice you have all gone a bit shy.

But perhaps you're missing the t e bit.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Clive, once again you are digressing totally from the subject. May I remind you that the subject of this thread is:

'Wheel spin with front wheel drive'

With reference to this subject title, I don't think anybody is interested in long discourses about 4x4's or even tractors. It doesn't help Jim one bit in answering his question. Please stick to the topic with a constructive suggestion how to avoid potential wheel spin problems with a front wheel drive car.

Your criticism of my suggestion to keep a recovery rope in the car is fair (although I don't see it quite as critical if you use a bit of common sense) but although you have said a lot you have not offered much in the way of an alternative.

Having said that I wouldn't overrate the problem. There are so many front wheel drive cars towing caravans that they can't all be unsuitable and anyway, there is nearly always someone nearby to help on the odd occasion where they may have got stuck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lutz, are you applying in for the Mods job?

Simon, it is true that the 4x4 debate crops up in most places, it will always crop up while there are two opposing sides, it is unfair of you to single out Clive as the perpetrator of these posts, many of us take part in the discussion, the Anti's are usually the first (although not always) to start the ball rolling.

Stinky, I thought you made a promise that if Kanga was allowed back on the Forum you would drop the 4x4 subject, so why are you clearly feeding the fires now?

To all of you, what happened to the "agree to disagree" result from a couple of weeks back?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lutz

Oh deary deary me! - the cardinal sin of going "off thread".

Sorry but conversations are like that! You start off talking about football and end up discussing the latest film or whatever.

Can't help think you're a bit miffed because of the Health & Safety issue of what you suggest. Shame - I wouls have thought you above that.

Hi Simon

Towcars = Vehicles that tow - two types - two views - debate.

Believe it or not debate is a healthy thing!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just in case anybody doubted what I (and Lol) say about the agenda of the anti's and the way they never miss a chance to spout their bile - this on General as a responce to a sensible question from merv who simply asked what constitutes a 4x4 as there are so many cars these days that are AWD.

You guys make your own mind up as to who is "on a mission"!

Kanga

6 Oct 2005 08:41 PM Merv,

I think you will find that you are ok with a small jacked up estate car like an x trail, the tax is aimed at chelsea tractors such as Range rovers, shoguns etc and any other monster 4x4, which pollute the atmosphere at an alarming rate and kill pedestrians outright when they run them down, as is so often with these beasts as the braking distances and handling is so poor.

The sooner we rid the earth of them the better!

Oh and by the way - Kanga has a "gas guzzling" 3 litre BMW as well as two other cars.

My 4x4 runs on LPG (circa 39 mpg equivelent running costs) and produces mainly water vapour as an emmission!

Bizarre - truly bizarre!

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Jim, without doubt you cannot beat a four wheel drive towing a caravan of wet grass especially up a slight incline. However I use a company vehicle and cover over 50,000 mile per year and you will never find a four wheel drive which offers the comfort and refinement solo as a car. I currently drive an Accord estate diesel and use the caravan all year, you just have to make some compromises like using hardstandings. As previously mentioned good clutch control and always trying to maintain some forward momentum help in wet conditions. Richard S
Richard

Everyone to their own but I have to disagree with you on this one. I do a similar mileage to you every year in a 4x4. The car before that was an Audi A4 which I loved, but I would not go back to a saloon car for a gold clock. The space and comfort associated with a decent 4x4 is brilliant ( well that's my view)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts