Wheel/tyre cover for caravan storage

Feb 23, 2018
889
66
10,935
Visit site
Does anyone use a cover for their tyres when in the caravan is in storage? Is this a good idea to prevent UV damage, or does coving the rubber cause other issues? My caravan is stored oriented east/west, so the near side gets the sun all day, while the offside is in shade.
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
We don't cover ours as we are away every for 5 weeks but ours is situated in a storage facility where there is only about 4 foot gap as you can see between each caravan so not really in direct sunlight all the time unless you got and end spot which we haven't .

Mine's the white one !! :p
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,620
6,378
50,935
Visit site
I put covers on when its stored at home as the sun hits the offside for a long period. Cant think why they should do any harm. I also try and rotate the tyres monthly when not in use.
 
Feb 23, 2018
889
66
10,935
Visit site
otherclive said:
I put covers on when its stored at home as the sun hits the offside for a long period. Cant think why they should do any harm. I also try and rotate the tyres monthly when not in use.

How do you rotate the tyres? Jack the van?Also what do you use to cover them? I would need to put a hole in the cover to allow the wheel clamp to go back on.
 
Oct 17, 2010
1,245
484
19,435
Visit site
I made a plywood cover that fits nicely back of the wheel arch, covering all the tyre, off side of van in full sun for at least half the day, near side against garage wall. No damage to tyre.
If van is to stand for awhile I will lift up on axle stands, takes weight off suspension as well as tyres.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,620
6,378
50,935
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
otherclive said:
I put covers on when its stored at home as the sun hits the offside for a long period. Cant think why they should do any harm. I also try and rotate the tyres monthly when not in use.

How do you rotate the tyres? Jack the van?Also what do you use to cover them? I would need to put a hole in the cover to allow the wheel clamp to go back on.

Lift it on jack and quarter turn the wheel. My cover goes over the Alko secure lozenge.
 
Feb 23, 2018
889
66
10,935
Visit site
DaveA1 said:
I made a plywood cover that fits nicely back of the wheel arch, covering all the tyre, off side of van in full sun for at least half the day, near side against garage wall. No damage to tyre.
If van is to stand for awhile I will lift up on axle stands, takes weight off suspension as well as tyres.

Thought that would be the best thing to do.

I'm cool with where to jack the van, but where do you place axle stands? On the axle tube or the frame?
 
Oct 17, 2010
1,245
484
19,435
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
DaveA1 said:
I made a plywood cover that fits nicely back of the wheel arch, covering all the tyre, off side of van in full sun for at least half the day, near side against garage wall. No damage to tyre.
If van is to stand for awhile I will lift up on axle stands, takes weight off suspension as well as tyres.

Thought that would be the best thing to do.

I'm cool with where to jack the van, but where do you place axle stands? On the axle tube or the frame?
Not on the frame. Put them under the axle tube as near to the chassis frame as possible.
 
Nov 6, 2006
731
5
18,885
Visit site
I have some twin axle wheel covers by Milenco, which fit fine, but the elasticated strap supposed to hold it in place is feeble and gave up within a few weeks. They are also quite tight to fit as you have to reach under any wheel arch spat to the inside of the wheel to manoeuvre into place. Still to figure out a simple retention method.
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
Tempted now since reading the last few posts ! I've just been looking at them on Amazon and I can get them to match my colour graphics on my van , set off 2 for £13.oo . ;)
 
Sep 29, 2016
1,805
214
19,935
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Tempted now since reading the last few posts ! I've just been looking at them on Amazon and I can get them to match my colour graphics on my van , set off 2 for £13.oo . ;)

Link please Craig.
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
Try this Anseo ,
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=caravan+wheel+covers&oq=caravan+whee&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i60l3j69i57j0.10055j0j4&client=ms-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#scso=uid_gF5tW4HJNoey0gWj9b-ICw_5:0
 
Sep 29, 2016
1,805
214
19,935
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Try this Anseo ,
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=caravan+wheel+covers&oq=caravan+whee&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i60l3j69i57j0.10055j0j4&client=ms-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#scso=uid_gF5tW4HJNoey0gWj9b-ICw_5:0

Thanks Craig, cannot find a set of 2 for £13.00 though.

I do like a bargain ;) ;)
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
Anseo said:
Craigyoung said:
Try this Anseo ,
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=caravan+wheel+covers&oq=caravan+whee&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i60l3j69i57j0.10055j0j4&client=ms-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#scso=uid_gF5tW4HJNoey0gWj9b-ICw_5:0

Thanks Craig, cannot find a set of 2 for £13.00 though.

I do like a bargain ;) ;)

Sorry , £13.99 for one that I was looking at
 
Sep 29, 2016
1,805
214
19,935
Visit site
Just had a thought (I know-very unusual for me :lol: ), but my car sits in all sorts of weather all the year round, apart from the time in the garage when not at work.

I never give a thought to UV protection for my car tyres; I'm thinking - why should I give a thought to UV protection on the caravan tyres?
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,620
6,378
50,935
Visit site
Anseo said:
Just had a thought (I know-very unusual for me :lol: ), but my car sits in all sorts of weather all the year round, apart from the time in the garage when not at work.

I never give a thought to UV protection for my car tyres; I'm thinking - why should I give a thought to UV protection on the caravan tyres?

Car tyres are relatively unaffected as regular use keeps the anti ageing compounds distributed through the rubber. Plus you tend to wear them out before you get any noticeable ageing effects too.
 

TRENDING THREADS