Wheelspin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are changing our small 2 berth for a 4 berth Swift, mro 1162kg mtplm 1399kg, and I am concerned that our old 2.2 SRI150 Vectra wont be up to the job. Apart from a low kerb weight, the sporty petrol engine has a tendancy to spin the front wheels on almost any grassy slope. I dont really want to get a 4x4, I prefer another large estate such as the Vectra, Mondeo etc. but with a decent diesel engine this time. I know that the extra weight of the diesel engine will help but I am worried that I will still have problems. By modern standards this is not a heavy caravan, but it is by far the heviest we have had and I want to reduce my stress levels as much as possible! Any comments on this car/caravan combination, and does anyone have any tips to avoid the dreaded wheelspin? Thanks, Jim.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the comment Lutz, we never had a problem with our old Volvo 740 with rear wheel drive but there is very little choice now. Jim.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A car with traction control will be more resistant to wheelsin. if you look at the Youtube video of Tiff Needal in the X type Jaguar on an icy slope it shows what TS can do. Also tyre choice can make a difference. A diesel or car with good low down torque will resist wheel spin too. My wife's 225bhp Saab 9000 with no traction control was never a problem with wheel spin when towing as it had good low down torque. But get it solo and boy did she burn the rubber!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi J&P,

Very Brave to mention that you have a Vectra , as in previous discussions the windup merchants have given them a good grilling.

I have had a vectra 2.2 diesel 51 plate for several years now, never had wheel spin, I tow a bailey 5 berth ,on grass i just let the clutch out and the engine tick over torque (no additional throttle )will pull the car and van off pitches that other cars have stalled on due to the damp grass.

Tyres I allways use Pirelli 6000, whether that helps with the grip cannot comment, as never usede any other make.

Royston

G

We have towed our 1500 kg van firstly with a ford Galaxy and now with a seat Alhambra 130 tdi. never suffered from wheel spin, and although strictly not an estate, they have masses of space.

having said all that, your vectra was a petrol engined car and possibly needed more revs to get it going compared to a diesel version that would have far more low-down pulling power.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all your comments. Regarding the windup merchants, I must be very brave (or stupid!) because, not only do I have a Vectra but I am thinking of getting another! I bought it at 3 years old for a very good price and have found it to be a very nice sporty car (if you like that sort of thing!), but its not really a good tow car, the self levelling suspension is the only good thing. I wasn't quite so pleased when the timing CHAIN broke and bent all the valves (a common problem on this engine appartently), my local garage thought it was christmas! The new van has now arrived and we will go shopping for a car this week so please keep the comments coming. Thanks, Jim.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi J&P

I tow mainly with a long wheel base Renault Grand Espace but I also have used a Saab 9-3 both are FWD. Both are diesel.

The only time I have had a problem was when on a Scout Camp where I used the Espace to pull the kit trailer. We had to ascend a loose gravel 1:5 track., and I needed a gentle shove to get the outfit moving, but once going simply using 1st gear and the engine governor to keep it at tick over, we climbed to the top without further incident.

Never had a problem on wet grass with trailers or caravans, it just needs you to plan your path to avoid the obvious steep parts.

Having a diesel does seem to help with the availability of torque at low revs, but I have also towed with a Saab 9000 2litre petrol, and the engine management seemed to keep the tick over revs pulling quite well.

Avoid high revs, and slipping the clutch, just get moving and let the management system keep the revs at tick over.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
As you don't mention the name "Insignia" (Why am I reminded of deodorant?) I guess you are buying a few years used. If you are a fan of Vauxhall's the Omega was rear wheel drive. These went up to 2003 so getting on a bit but I don't know your budget. I had an Elite estate which was good (self leveling suspension etc) except for the woeful 2.2 Diesel engine in it. The 2.5 BMW unit would be far better.

With the demise of the Omega and the Granada/Scorpio neither Ford nor Vauxhall now make a large executive saloon which is a shame as they were great for towing!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As you don't mention the name "Insignia" (Why am I reminded of deodorant?) I guess you are buying a few years used. If you are a fan of Vauxhall's the Omega was rear wheel drive. These went up to 2003 so getting on a bit but I don't know your budget. I had an Elite estate which was good (self leveling suspension etc) except for the woeful 2.2 Diesel engine in it. The 2.5 BMW unit would be far better.

With the demise of the Omega and the Granada/Scorpio neither Ford nor Vauxhall now make a large executive saloon which is a shame as they were great for towing!
We will not do a very high mileage in the car as we also have a little Clio for day to day use so I cant justify buying new. Probably looking for about 3 years old and a bit up on the mileage. I am a bit worried about your comment on the "woeful" 2.2 diesel engine, hopefully the later 1.9 is better. Not especially a fan of Vauxhall, the Vectra is my first, just needs to be big enough in the back for two largish dogs and able to pull the van without stress.Jim.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
We will not do a very high mileage in the car as we also have a little Clio for day to day use so I cant justify buying new. Probably looking for about 3 years old and a bit up on the mileage. I am a bit worried about your comment on the "woeful" 2.2 diesel engine, hopefully the later 1.9 is better. Not especially a fan of Vauxhall, the Vectra is my first, just needs to be big enough in the back for two largish dogs and able to pull the van without stress.Jim.
I thought the engine was noisy and lacked grunt. Considering the VW group at the time were getting 130/140 BHP out of their 1.9 & 2.0 litre engines 120BHP out of the Vauxhall 2.2 unit was pretty poor and the Estate I had was a big car. You should be looking at about 170BHP out of a diesel 2.2. The word agricultural springs to mind. These will be too old for you though if you wanted a car that was about 3 years old...

May 25, 2010
Visit site
If you do not have rear seat passengers try loadig behind the front seats, or fir a tow ball on the front of the car and push or pull the van onto a hard surface, hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts