When towing

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our hitchlock is the Alko Safety Plus (red) which uses the hard plastic hitch ball. I wouldn’t use it whilst travelling and can’t ever recall leaving a van unattended when stopped at services. More often than not there’s always one of us stays with it.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have the Nemisis Ultra wheel lock that I can attach in seconds and is far more secure than a hitchlock. That and the Wraith look to be the best alternatives for leaving the caravan at services. You may also find your insurance requires a wheel clamp to be used even if you only leave the caravan for a short period.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I always keep my Wraith handy when towing (in case i have to stop). Reality is, i would never leave my unit unattended at a motorway services following a couple of near misses.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I always keep my Wraith handy when towing (in case i have to stop). Reality is, i would never leave my unit unattended at a motorway services following a couple of near misses.
Like you we always carry the ALKO Secure but mainly in case the van has to be left unattended when not on a site. Together with the hitch lock that’s about all you can do to help. On most sites I don’t use the Alko wheel lock but a lighter Milenco. Although on CL/CS I will use the Alko dependant on how I feel about the general security. But the Wraith, Nemesis option does seem to be a very good alternative compromise.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our insurance with the C&CC does require you to use the clamp you specify when you take out the policy. In our case the lighter Milenco might be regarded as a breach of the policy conditions.

Reactions: Kevin M
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
With CMHC there’s no specified make of security device other than hitchlock and wheel clamp required. You can get a 10% discount for Alko Secure but that obviously requires it to be used all the time. I decided that the £20 approx saving wasn’t that big a deal given that I don’t always use it when touring.

Reactions: Hutch and Kevin M
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The hitchlock is only really effective if used to fasten the caravan to the tow car. In normal circumstances thieves will have a strong chain or even a fabricated A frame which can then be used to attach the caravan to another vehicle and the hitchlock can be dealt with later.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts