Where and when to sell

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Myself and my wife are thinking about whether to sell the caravan and everything that goes with it, my wife’s health is not good at all and my health isn’t perfect so setting up and packing up again is getting harder every time, our caravan is in excellent condition and we’ve got most accessories that are required, anyone know a good website to look at if we make the decision to go ahead with selling.

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Myself and my wife are thinking about whether to sell the caravan and everything that goes with it, my wife’s health is not good at all and my health isn’t perfect so setting up and packing up again is getting harder every time, our caravan is in excellent condition and we’ve got most accessories that are required, anyone know a good website to look at if we make the decision to go ahead with selling.

BP
I used the CMHC classifieds and got nowhere. So I went for a basic ad on Autotrader and within just over two hours of the ad being shown a chap had driven from Barry Island to view the caravan. He then paid a holding deposit and two days later paid the balance and collected the van. I had lots of replies from the Autotrader ad including agents for dealerships. They were all ready to make a quick purchase and collect next day. But I went for the private sale as the chap wanted all of the kit which saved me having to sell items separately. I got my asking price too.

I posted around 6 photos and had full service history invoices and a damp check only a couple of weeks prior to advertising it. Payment was via bank interchange and I could see the money arrive in my current account before I let the caravan go.

Reactions: Beachball
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think Autotrader is likely to give you the most exposure, but do be careful as there are a lot of rogues answering their adverts. The CAMH site is free if you are a member as I think is the PC one so there is nothing to lose there. Do be sure of your purchaser and do not let the caravan off your premises until you have the money in your bank.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i sold our touring caravan on Facebook marketplace put roughly 9 photos also spread out paperwork including service history going back since new and a latest damp check in the first hour i had 15 enquiries and then someone text me on my mobile and sent a deposit next day he pick up and paid the rest cash we also got our asking price

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have not yet announced it on the forum, but we sold our van last week due to health problems on my part. As it has damp in the floor, which I have documented in another thread, I already paid £1300 for sealing but it is still bad in places and I have had enough of trying to deal with it. But mainly, my vascular issues just make it too hard as well as being pretty well trapped on sites unless I use the mobility scooter.

I bought the van new in 2015 and I first tried to call the same dealer. I spoke to the same salesman/director who sold it to me and he looked at the history. We were then very honest with each other. me re the damp, and him on the value. He said if it was damp free he would put it on the forecourt for £16,000, But he thought he could do £12.000 but needed to look at it.

Before I did that, a friend of a friend of my daughters showed interest. They came to see it and loved it. I showed them the damp with the meter. and explained there is no rot at all. They loved it and gave £12,500 straight away. I threw in the barrels, waste, and two Calorlites,( one full). Also bits and bobs including the damp meter.

I think the damp has cost me around £3,500!

One thing they said, which is a new way of looking at things from my point of view, is, that if it only lasts them 5 years, they will have had their money's worth.

Even at this time of year, I think it is still a seller's market. So I suggest Beechpee works out a value he is happy with it and tests the water.

So, after 39 years, we have left caravaning. I will now need to copy OC's signature.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear that John it must have been a difficult decision, but I am sure that when the dust has settled you will find new ways to enjoy your leisure time. I still miss not having the caravan but I don’t regret making the decision to sell it last summer (2021) , even though it wasn’t connected to health issues; ours was family and canine constraints.

ps my signature is not copyrighted so please feel free.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have not yet announced it on the forum, but we sold our van last week due to health problems on my part. As it has damp in the floor, which I have documented in another thread, I already paid £1300 for sealing but it is still bad in places and I have had enough of trying to deal with it. But mainly, my vascular issues just make it too hard as well as being pretty well trapped on sites unless I use the mobility scooter.

I bought the van new in 2015 and I first tried to call the same dealer. I spoke to the same salesman/director who sold it to me and he looked at the history. We were then very honest with each other. me re the damp, and him on the value. He said if it was damp free he would put it on the forecourt for £16,000, But he thought he could do £12.000 but needed to look at it.

Before I did that, a friend of a friend of my daughters showed interest. They came to see it and loved it. I showed them the damp with the meter. and explained there is no rot at all. They loved it and gave £12,500 straight away. I threw in the barrels, waste, and two Calorlites,( one full). Also bits and bobs including the damp meter.

I think the damp has cost me around £3,500!

One thing they said, which is a new way of looking at things from my point of view, is, that if it only lasts them 5 years, they will have had their money's worth.

Even at this time of year, I think it is still a seller's market. So I suggest Beechpee works out a value he is happy with it and tests the water.

So, after 39 years, we have left caravaning. I will now need to copy OC's signature.

John
Hi John so sorry to hear your news but your health issues comes first but good luck in your next adventures

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
John

We are in the same boat and I need to make a decision in the next couple of months once we get the caravan back from the dealership. OH who has always been a fit and healthy person with never a day off work has been in hospital 4 times this year and each time it is up to 3 weeks before they discharge her although she is still ill.

It will be a very difficult decision as we have spent a lot of money upgrading the caravan over the years to make it comfortable and just right for us. There is of course always the option of going seasonal, but again that depends on OH's health. Pointless paying £4-£5k for a seasonal pitch and you hardly use it.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
We are in the same boat and I need to make a decision in the next couple of months once we get the caravan back from the dealership. OH who has always been a fit and healthy person with never a day off work has been in hospital 4 times this year and each time it is up to 3 weeks before they discharge her although she is still ill.

It will be a very difficult decision as we have spent a lot of money upgrading the caravan over the years to make it comfortable and just right for us. There is of course always the option of going seasonal, but again that depends on OH's health. Pointless paying £4-£5k for a seasonal pitch and you hardly use it.
Our first van was put up for sale on one of these Supermarket notice boards.
20 minutes later we got a phone call,van was viewed and sold on the spot,just a case of the right place at the right time! - dead lucky.

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
We’ve more or less decided to sell up as we never know when she is going to be unable to do anything, as someone else said JC I think, being restricted to moving around the site on a mobility scooter isn’t great for her and the scooter when stripped for travel takes up the car boot more or less, my health is COPD, not severely and setting up when arriving on site and packing up to leave is the biggest problem, I think I’ll list all the kit I’d like to sell as a lock stock lot, then I’ll put it on sale and test the water.

BP

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We had similar thoughts of selling our caravan due to Mrs H having COPD and a displaced Pelvis, mobility chariot, a pride rapide breaks down ok for inside our Santa Fe, after a week away at the Woosie fest and seeing a friend with more severe problems than the wife, and still coping well, we shall carry on for another year, might have to fit snow tyres for the wife's chariot for the winter to get from the site to a pub.

Reactions: Buckman
Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
We sold our old van last year and put it on Facebook and autotrader, lots of replies on both but sold it via autotrader within 48 hours (for more than we paid for it in 2018).

Crazy market, I see dealers advertising our current van for up to £6000 more than we paid in 2021, possibly driven by the shortage of new vans?

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm also looking at selling up after 44 years, lost my wife beginning January last year not the same being solo and a young 81 year old.
My daughter knows someone who wants a caravan so may be able to sell that way.

Trevor

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm also looking at selling up after 44 years, lost my wife beginning January last year not the same being solo and a young 81 year old.
My daughter knows someone who wants a caravan so may be able to sell that way.

Trevor
Hi Trevor
It must be difficult to plan your next adventure now you are solo, at least your have happy memories of over four decades and having your daughters support and knowing someone who will enjoy it as much as you both did. Good luck with this and hope that all goes to plan with your future.

Reactions: Mel and Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We sold our old van last year and put it on Facebook and autotrader, lots of replies on both but sold it via autotrader within 48 hours (for more than we paid for it in 2018).

Crazy market, I see dealers advertising our current van for up to £6000 more than we paid in 2021, possibly driven by the shortage of new vans?
Just had a look on Facebook the sale of caravans i have notice price decreasing is this a new trend ?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think that the economic woes may be part leaving less people with the cash to spend on a caravan. Apart from that though the supply of new ones is picking up meaning more second hand ones on the market although he price of new ones is getting too high and this tends to increase second hand prices. The latest news suggests that the Coachman Lusso has broken the £50,000 barrier and Eldiss have increased prices by 17.5% without any change to the ranges in most cases.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think that the economic woes may be part leaving less people with the cash to spend on a caravan. Apart from that though the supply of new ones is picking up meaning more second hand ones on the market although he price of new ones is getting too high and this tends to increase second hand prices. The latest news suggests that the Coachman Lusso has broken the £50,000 barrier and Eldiss have increased prices by 17.5% without any change to the ranges in most cases.

Wonder if Eldiss have gone for such large percentage increase in price to support warranty claims :eek:

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
A friend down our road has decided that their big caravan sitting on the drive is not getting enough use so they would sell it. If they later decided they are missing caravanning they could buy a used but smaller unit.

They stuck 'for sale' notices on the front windows on Tuesday afternoon and it was sold the following day for cash - at almost the asking price.

There is obviously still demand out there!

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Passed a Baily dealers while away on the A12 lots of new vans lined up not sure if they were sold waiting collection or not. Didn't drop in to find out.

Trevor

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
All our local dealers have lots of used vans on display, a complete change from a year ago so I would not be surprised if used prices dropped. However we're running uphill to keep our new for old insurance valuation up to date, new prices are rocketing. Totally confused here 😕

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I did check a couple of local dealers stock and while they have a few there is a lot less than pre pandemic. One had gone from none to five and the other from single figures to 13. There still seems to be a shortage although I did notice some 2020 ones which might be from those who tried caravans and have now given up.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
A friend down our road has decided that their big caravan sitting on the drive is not getting enough use so they would sell it. If they later decided they are missing caravanning they could buy a used but smaller unit.

They stuck 'for sale' notices on the front windows on Tuesday afternoon and it was sold the following day for cash - at almost the asking price.

There is obviously still demand out there!
Might be some caravans but depends what you are selling but we are now going into winter these are both factors to consider .

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Like several of you I lost my wife last July. I then done September and October for a week each..For what ever reason people I use to see were not there so bit lonely and evening the days were getting shorter and no one to tell about the day you have had. So 22 Nov booked for a coach holiday to Scotland. Hotel was fully booked with people from all over UK. From day one even getting on the coach people were greeting me. Trips out were interesting but as we have been many times all over Uk it was the people which made the holiday. So my thoughts on selling has become harder, at moment slightly in favour of selling. BUT my neighbour said would I miss my independence of where or when to caravan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts