Where can you find the best cream teas?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Thingy said:
I agree, no butter. Cherry or blackcurrant jam far exceeds the taste of plain old strawberry or rasberry, expecially if the cherries are soaked in kirsch. Plain scones take the day, fruit scones should simply be served warm with slightly salted butter.

GOT to have butter and jam........................but NO CREAM, disgusting stuff.

With that attitude you should be ashamed to be Devonian. :p

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Gagakev said:
Thingy said:
I agree, no butter. Cherry or blackcurrant jam far exceeds the taste of plain old strawberry or rasberry, expecially if the cherries are soaked in kirsch. Plain scones take the day, fruit scones should simply be served warm with slightly salted butter.

GOT to have butter and jam........................but NO CREAM, disgusting stuff.

With that attitude you should be ashamed to be Devonian. :p

This is Gagaland :evil:

Gagaland%20Flag_zps3kamiaj1.jpg

But just go be kind the best Scone & Jam ever was here Rectory Tearoom Oh and Mrs Gaga loved hers with the cream and has always said it was the best ever :)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
Might not like your taste in 'buns', but I like your 'new' avatar Kev. ;)

Why thank you young man :whistle:
Thought it was so good it was a shame to hide it ;)
And it was made just for me by a fellow Woosie.................Thank you Sir Gab

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Kev, as you appear to be the unelected [strike]president[/strike] dictator of Gagaland, maybe your omnipotence would be kind enough to share the legal ruling on the formation of the aforementioned scone so we may have it included in the constituion of Great Brexitannia as a genuine British Standard.

Scotland have their own unique one which is made from Ersatz bread and a compote of sour grapes and old trout. They do I believe use a variety of whitewash instead of cream.

In Wales they favour a savoury one based on the leek. I know cos I was there.

In Ireland I forgot to ask as the Guinness took precedence.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:
Kev, as you appear to be the unelected [strike]president[/strike] dictator of Gagland, maybe your omnipotence would be kind enough to share the legal ruling on the formation of the aforementioned scone so we may have it included in the constituion of Great Brexitannia as a genuine British Standard.

Scotland have their own unique one which is made from Ersatz bread and a compote of sour grapes and old trout. They do I believe use a variety of whitewash instead of cream.

In Wales they favour a savoury one based on the leek. I know cos I was there.

In Ireland I forgot to ask as the Guiness took precedence.

Dont reveal local recipe's normally but as it's only me and thee on here i will relent.

It is formally known as........................ Be Bappa Scona
The bappa scona is traditionally cut in two, but keep both parts as you well need one half for the top and one for the bottom we eat it all together not like other well to do persons, half at a time!!!!! (i'm off to hiide) :lol:
we are'nt fussy what goes first, sausage,bacon or egg it makes not one blind bit of difference,
slappa ona browna saucea, puta topa ona and divulge.
You can even substitute brown for red sauce if so required.
Dont worry about Great Brexitannia as it is already a reckonised standard in it's own right.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Surely you cant be suggesting jam, cream, sausage bacon and egg all on one scone, the egg would make it too messy and up here would be considered overkill and gready.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Martin24 said:
I'll be seeing you in September Kev :evil:

I'll bring the recipe :lol:

And Thingy I told you before DEFO NO CREAM........DISGUSTING
Oh and the egg has to be hard cooked, cant stand runny bits :silly: :lol:

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
The best and only cream tea's are Devon cream tea's as we know which comes first not like the Cornish
just having some fun they are just as good which ever way round you can all way turn them over :whistle:

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Having done cream teas to death, which is a girly subject anyway, can we have a discussion that really matters.

Why cant I find a decent pint in either Devon or Cornwall, and please dont suggest Doombar, that stuff has begun to appear in the North too, its like an infection. Southern beers, weak, flat and pale, yuk.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:
Having done cream teas to death, which is a girly subject anyway, can we have a discussion that really matters.

Why cant I find a decent pint in either Devon or Cornwall, and please dont suggest Doombar, that stuff has begun to appear in the North too, its like an infection. Southern beers, weak, flat and pale, yuk.

Jail Ale, made by Dartmoor brewery, brewed in Princetown.
Give it a whirl.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Ill de down that way October or November, Ill give that a try. Cant be any wosre than the rest down there. My next trip is Scotland, the land of really rotten beer. Ill have to take my own supplies on that one ;)

May 12, 2014
Visit site
That's because if you're down that way you should be drinking scrumpy. Not the stuff they sell in shops, find a farm which will sell you a 4 pint milk container full of stuff they've brewed themselves. That's the way to drink down south! :woohoo:

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Aye. We tried that. Brimblecombes Farm. Never again. I would rather gargle battery acid.

Not fit for human consumption.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Thingy said:
Aye. We tried that. Brimblecombes Farm. Never again. I would rather gargle battery acid.

Not fit for human consumption.

Ah ha, we finally get to the nub of it, you Northern Nancy :p us Southern Softies have cast iron constitutions :p :p

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Ah ha, we finally get to the nub of it, you Northern Nancy

:p us Southern Softies have cast iron constitutions

A lack of taste buds seems to go with it :cheer:
brimblecombes-devon-farm-ciderfarmhousealcohol-barrel-beer-cider-container-c6pa5j.jpg

The customer reception centre says it all. Tried it on the windscreen to get the bugs off, my wiper blades perished.
dsc2128smallma27552570-0004.jpg

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Never tasted a decent Skrumpy, Went to Dulverton, in Somerset only to find the guest beer was my local Bombarier . It still travelled well . Just love Inches Cider, . Always works wonders :p !!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts