Where can you find the best cream teas?

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone! I hope you can help.

Our Claudia is planning a trip to Devon and Cornwall, and wants to know where she can find the best cream teas! Any recommendations?

And dare I ask which order you'd apply the jam and cream (or should that be cream and jam?!)?

Thanks in advance.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
The ones the wardens at Trewethett Farm camc site sell are pretty hard to beat. We ordered 1 each for 3 of us and ended up using them over 3 days due to the quantity we got in each. Very reasonable price too.

Us groccles or emmets can never remember which county you put the jam or cream on first, so have 2 scones and do 1 each way :p

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Sorry Claudia but the best cream tea we've ever tasted was on Jersey. I think it was at the café in the La Mere wine estate but can't swear to that, all I know is that we went back for more on an almost daily basis. Just in the interests of sampling them, and the wine, thoroughly you understand :)

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
The best Cornish one has closed now but for us when in Devon, Badgers Holt at Dartmeet has to be one of the best (wedges not standard) Brimpts farm just up the road from there used to be good too.

May 12, 2014
Visit site
The Two Bridges hotel - https://www.twobridges.co.uk/.

Really picturesque location in the middle of Dartmoor, and scones the size of some of the boulders on the nearby tors. Despite being raised in Devon, having given it much hard work and consideration over the years I can declare the Cornish method of jam first, cream second to give superior results!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
On St Micks Mount, they do a variation. Im sure it was called Thunder n Lightning and is made with black treacle instead of Jam.

Being a proper Northerner, I am privvy to the location of the genuine Treacle mines at Tockholes and in truth was brought up on the stuff. Made me the man I am today.

As far as the Two Bridges Hotel is concerned, I concur. Have stopped a few times and they are to be recommended.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
And we thought we had the only treacle mine, it however is now closed - after the last disaster, when several miners came to a sticky end!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Ah no. The Lincs treacle mines are only for light girly treacle. The northern stuff is entirely different and can be used not only for cream teas and puddings, but also road resurfacing and tarring the hulls of sailing vessels.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Treacle instead of jam?! I quite like lemon/lime curd as an alternative, but I can't imagine treacle!

Any more recommendations? Thanks for all those so far. And where do you sit on the cream-or-jam-first debate?

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
As a bloke, I slice the scone in half horizontally, put jam on each half cut face then cream, put the 2 halves back together, so it is jam / cream / jam that negates the argument as it's not on the top :p

As a girlie you'll probably cut it in half and half again and take more than one mouthful to eat it, so you are back to your dilemma :evil: :evil:

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Right, lets take this to another level.

Firstly, warm or cold scone?
Secondly and most important, what flavour of jam if treacle is not to be used?

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
KeefySher said:
As a bloke, I slice the scone in half horizontally, put jam on each half cut face then cream, put the 2 halves back together, so it is jam / cream / jam that negates the argument as it's not on the top :p

As a girlie you'll probably cut it in half and half again and take more than one mouthful to eat it, so you are back to your dilemma :evil: :evil:

As a chap I eat in two halves as it equates to twice as much clotted. :p

Oh and everyone seems to be forgetting the butter before the Jam. :)

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:
Right, lets take this to another level.

Firstly, warm or cold scone?
Secondly and most important, what flavour of jam if treacle is not to be used?

Warm scone and raspberry or if you must strawberry jam. Nothing else acceptable.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
The worst we ever had was at Cotehele (NT) which was savoury. Cheese and onion scone with cream cheese and cider chutney. Instant heartburn, never again.

May 12, 2014
Visit site
KeefySher said:

If you can get your chops around both halves together, your scone is noooowhere near big enough!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Stowford Mill, near to Bradford on Avon on Kennet and Avon canal, Wilts. 4 star trip advisor rating . Caravan site alongside and wild swimming at the Farleigh Hungerford swimming club on River Frome adjacent to site, and English Heritage castle 1 mile away. And to cap it all you can do a course on glass blowing and stained glass, if you can extract yourself from the many nice local pubs. Trains and buses to Bath from Bradford on Avon.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I agree, no butter. Cherry or blackcurrant jam far exceeds the taste of plain old strawberry or rasberry, expecially if the cherries are soaked in kirsch. Plain scones take the day, fruit scones should simply be served warm with slightly salted butter.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:
I agree, no butter. Cherry or blackcurrant jam far exceeds the taste of plain old strawberry or rasberry, expecially if the cherries are soaked in kirsch. Plain scones take the day, fruit scones should simply be served warm with slightly salted butter.

GOT to have butter and jam........................but NO CREAM, disgusting stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts