Where do you put yours

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
Hello everyone

Where do you put the spirit level to get the caravan level?

I've tried a few places,each giving a different reading.

The cooker which i know could be fitted on a slant.

The window ledge at the front.

The top of the cupboard at the front of the caravan

Where's the best place to put it to get a correct reading??

Please help

Thanks Will

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Will

I just open the door and place it on the floor. Lutz once posted that he never uses a level, he does it by the rack of eye method !!!. I have found I can get front to back pretty good using this method, and the level on the floor is used for across the van only. Most others I have seen tend to be on the shelf in the front window.

Val & Frank

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Will

I put the level inside the door on the floor but have to say we do not worry too much.

That`s the fun of a caravan and it is very useful when the cutlery draw opens easily because you are on a slight slant!

Not so good when the beds not level and Don rolls over.

Seriously I would only try and get the caravan level if we were to be there for a week or more but other than that approx is good enough for us.

Joyce

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I also use the Lutz method of squinting at from front and rear. I have a level to check if necessary but I've never been that far off so most times don't even check.

I think they call it "tradesman's eye"!

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
I had a small level super glued to the a-frame chassis member next to the jockey wheel clamp - till it fell off ! Now I use the on the floor near the door method. The a-frame method saves all the trotting back and forth to check for level so I am on the look out for a suitable sized replacement.

Feb 4, 2007
Visit site
Try here Mike http://www.towsure.com/product/895-2_Way_Spirit_Levelling_Device I use one of these in the same place as you did.

Colin.

May 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi folks,

I use a battery operated level by the doorway, when the van is near level it starts to beep until it's level then it is just a continues tone, it's great as you don't have to keep checking the level when winding the jockywheel up or down.

Regards

Graham (Ponty)

Aug 8, 2005
Visit site
We have a small spirit leve showing back to front and side to side levels - and it's on the front window ledge so my husband can see it when he's winding up the jockey wheel .

He sorts out side to side frist and then back to front

G

A very interesting topic here.

We have a circular spirit level and like you, I find it gives different results wherever I put it. Like many, I don't worry about the caravan being "spot on", as long as the doors stay put. That is another way to check your leveling. Does the fridge door swing open and whack your shins? Or does it slam shut the minute you open it? If so, a little more leveling is needed. Same applies to the washroom door or indeed any other door you have in the caravan. To me, there's nothing more annoying than doors with a mind of their own.

A couple of other tips I've picked up from various forums are......

Use a bottle of water or other drink (half full) as a level. Water will always find it's own level.

Use a plumb-bob hanging in the doorway of the caravan with a spot on the floor of the doorway marked as the centre on a known level surface.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Mike E

The a-frame method saves all the trotting back and forth to check for level so I am on the look out for a suitable sized replacement.

The one I use is not available as a bought model ( mind they are expensive ) she is about 5' 2" and a little under 8 stone, and she saves all the trotting back and forth. It's amazing how you can train the female to understand "the bubble in the middle means it's level principle" The best part of using this model is that if the water does not run away from the shower/sink you can always say I never levelled the van!!!!!!!!

Of course that's if your brave enough.

Frank & Val

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Colin A,

Thanks for that - the one I had was a cut down cheapo from Boyes designed to clip into a top pocket and, to tell the truth, the green liquid was beginning to fade in the light.

Frank,

I like the thinking behind your solution to this vexing problem. Sounds like Val is a bubbly character and full of spirit !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Depends a bit on how you use your van. We use the in-van shower, so level such that the shower drains well. Set up the van at home with level placed in the shower tray - fore and aft and across the van in turn - and then super glued small levels on across the van under the front window (outside ) and one fore and aft to the drawbar housing. Checked that this produced rreasonable level for the fridge. Got the simple levels by taking a junior hacksaw to a cheapo level from screwfix which had three vials. The fact that the liquid has faded obviously makes no difference to the level - it's only when the bubble has burst or gone away that you need worry.

For those who have not yet found out the hard way, the way to test a spirit level is to put it on a surface and see where the bubble goes, then turn the level through 180 degrees and see if you get the same reading - quite often you will not. If not, mark the "mid point" between the two readings and this will give you a pretty fair indication.

Aug 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi folks,

I use a battery operated level by the doorway, when the van is near level it starts to beep until it's level then it is just a continues tone, it's great as you don't have to keep checking the level when winding the jockywheel up or down.

Regards

Graham (Ponty)
Not seen the battery spirit levels.....sound good, where can I buy one please....Eric

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Nice one Mike E. I would tell her but I haven't the bottle to tell what I posted for the first reply

Frank Val's making lunch
She is bound to find out one day Frank so take the plunge and level with her sooner rather than later.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts