Where to jack caravan?

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
This is a stupid question, but in the event of a flat tyre, where are you supposed to jack an AL KO chassis?

I have a large scissor jack and a small bottle jack, but don't know where to place them.

I would like to fit Kojack brackets but my motor mover is fitted behind the wheels and is in the way, I think that this was fitted behind axle as shock absorbers are in front of the axle.

Any advice gratefully received.

Pete

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
If you cannot fit the ALKO/Kojack brackets in the holes on the chassis, the next best point is under the axle or the section of chassis immediatly behind the wheels.do not use any other chassis section as you can distort it

The problem is getting a bottle jack in with a flat tyre,you may have to pull the van onto a ramp in order to get a jack in

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Pete

Tony is correct.

Sorry Iestyn, you are wrong, no prize.

You WILL distort the chassis, maybe only slightly, by bending the bottom lip up.

My chassis was damaged this way by a so call caravan service engineer.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Iestyn

I refer to jacking on the chassis, not the Kojack brackets, but these can only fit to the dedicated pre drilled holes.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know that its not text book but for about 7 years on 4 vans since I had the Carver and Powertouch movers before I got the Kojack I placed the small trolley jack under the mover cross bar directly below the chassis rail

Its quite substantial and spreads the load on the chassis and I have had no damage/bending

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, I also concluded that the motor mover crossbar where it goes under the chassis would be a good bet, but of course it will be very low if we get a flat.

If this happens I will just tow it up a levelling ramp before I start jacking.

Regards

Pete

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When we lost a wheel and the van was resting on the brake drum the RAC man came and there was no option but for him to raise the van by jacking under the chassis rail towards the rear

He just raised it enough to get the Kojack underneath without any damage to the chassis

It was as is usual the nearside wheel and so the spare on Alko bracket could not be got at until the van was jacked up

May 21, 2008
Visit site
You could buy the Alko jack, which fits onto its own brackets bolted to the chassis in holes that are there already. A bit expensive though (being Alko) and it's only a car-type jack - so you have to take up the suspension movement before the wheel lifts.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
"I would like to fit Kojack brackets but my motor mover is fitted behind the wheels and is in the way, I think that this was fitted behind axle as shock absorbers are in front of the axle."

The Kojack uses the same holes as the Alko so that is the problem

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts