Where will your first trip be?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully, and I'm still not counting my chickens, being not only dependant on lockdown easing, but also that the caravan gets repaired as and when promised, our first run out will be June, a week down at Exebridge near Dulverton and moving on to Trethem Mill for a further three weeks. BTW, a heads up on that. The wonderful Trethem Mill has become adults only. My grandson isn't happy at all about that. After that, we are going to our beloved Hawes in October for a fortnight

So, where are you all heading for?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully my first trip will be Friday 23rd April for 1 week to Westgate Carr Farm Pickering it our first time it has been recommended and we cannot wait.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
York Moors for two weeks in May. Nothing else booked as June-July is new kitchens in our house and daughters house. Rhodes fir the ladies in July for two weeks while I dog , house and rabbit sit two houses. Then the ladies have booked the Highlands based in Fort William for a week in August (Sorry Sam and Ray).
May get Mrs OC to address caravan trips from September onwards. But I had marked France down for that period without the van. From Feb 2020 to date has been oh so delightfully simple.

Reactions: Sam Vimes
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Nothing booked yet,
but looks like too many of you are coming to the Devon area

I'll be getting out of here and heading up country :LOL: :LOL:

EDIT: wrote this at 7.59 time now 9.31, on Parksy's choice above I took a look at the site and decided to head down country and booked Polmanter for our 39th wedding Anniversary so 4 nights from 20th May

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Closer to the time we will probably book a CL for 2 - 3 days. The idea being to make sure we have everything we need in the caravan for our longer trip beginning May. We had to empty the caravan of a lot of stuff as it was in for its service in Oct and we have not used it since.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
End of April we're away to Fort William - Bunree - for a few days. Since we live in the Highlands we hope that any possible travel restrictions may still allow us to move around our region at least.

Stayed there before and its a good base to travel around the area.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Assuming we could get away before the booked trip in August we will see what is available at short notice and choose then. It may be just a short trip to make sure everything works before we go further.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
End of April we're away to Fort William - Bunree - for a few days. Since we live in the Highlands we hope that any possible travel restrictions may still allow us to move around our region at least.

Stayed there before and its a good base to travel around the area.
Hopefully,, Holyrood parliament will give more detail next week about travel restrictions within Scotland as Covid regulations are relaxed - the wording I've seen so far is that travel between areas in different tiers (including between England and Scotland) will continue to be restricted even after self-contained accommodation has reopened.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Last time we stayed at Bunree it seemed that all the pitches on the loch shore were reserved for motorhomes. Otherwise not a bad site however we left early to stay at an affiliated CMC campsite North Ledaig Caravan site. Very nice there. Unfortunately we were not very good a picking decent restaurants when visiting Scotland so can't say we enjoyed the food there. LOL! :)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Last time we stayed at Bunree it seemed that all the pitches on the loch shore were reserved for motorhomes. Otherwise not a bad site however we left early to stay at an affiliated CMC campsite North Ledaig Caravan site. Very nice there. Unfortunately we were not very good a picking decent restaurants when visiting Scotland so can't say we enjoyed the food there. LOL! :)
Bunree doesn't allow awnings on the lochside pitches, so many caravanners opt for the rows further back - we don't use an awning so we got a lochside pitch when we stayed there. The Lochnell Arms at Connel used to serve excellent food but we haven't been for a very long time.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We stayed at North Ledaig CMHC section and had a nice waterfront pitch. Beautiful sunsets. Puzzled at your problems finding good restaurants and eateries. Oban had some really nice ones plus a couple quite local to the site. We’ve found Scotland very good for food. When I did a spell in the Govan shipyard I ate out at smashing places in Glasgow. Even the shipyard Scotch Pie was tasty, and deep fried Mars Bar is a major contribution to world cuisine🤭

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We've travelled through a lot of Scotland as we live here and would have to agree that once outside the main towns finding decent places to eat can be disappointing. There are a few gems around if you search in advance.

A number of years back we toured by car what's now known as the NC500, stopping at B&Bs. Very disappointed in the culinary offerings when we could find them.

Best fish and chips though - not NC500 - is The Real Food Cafe at Tyndrum.

Reactions: RogerL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We stopped by a restaurant near Loch Ness where there was a canal with many locks. OH's food okay but my burger was frozen on the one side.
Next time we ate out it was on Isle of Mull and the wife's turn for a poor meal. She ordered a seafood platter and the salmon was frozen solid.
Lastly we chose what was supposed to be the best restaurant in Oban and ordered a seafood meal. Cost an arm and a leg for rocket leaves and three scallops. Did not bother with eating out again until we got back to Carlisle.
As said we just happen to pick poor restaurants as I am sure there are a lot more good ones, just do not believe what you read on Tripadvisor. :)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Closer to the time we will probably book a CL for 2 - 3 days. The idea being to make sure we have everything we need in the caravan for our longer trip beginning May. We had to empty the caravan of a lot of stuff as it was in for its service in Oct and we have not used it since.
Our caravan is always empty through the winter season and we hoping to take it for a service on the 29th March ready for this season to each its own .

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We've travelled through a lot of Scotland as we live here and would have to agree that once outside the main towns finding decent places to eat can be disappointing. There are a few gems around if you search in advance.

A number of years back we toured by car what's now known as the NC500, stopping at B&Bs. Very disappointed in the culinary offerings when we could find them.

Best fish and chips though - not NC500 - is The Real Food Cafe at Tyndrum.
Made a note of the great Fish and chips up your way if we get there (y)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts