Which Breakdown Cover?

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
Which breakdown organisation do you recommend? I want myself & wife to each be covered in the uk with roadside assistance & towed to a destination of choice. I'm also off to France with the van for a couple of weeks in the summer & want cover there including the caravan.

Cheers for any good tips!

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
hi we are members of mayday which is green flag. we had to use them in oct when i had problems with timming belt.

they recoverd 4x4,caravan, 2dogs myself oh and hubby back to sheffield with no problems. then on the monday towed 4x4 to garage of my choice.

we have personal cover so if out with friends and they break down we are always covered.

sorry not sure how much we paid.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
make sure that they will take your caravan if your car brakes down may day do so dose britania i think rac will have limits to the hight and length i changed due to this.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Just re joined Mayday after the free one we had from Discover that came with the new van ran out, had it before but never had to use it touch wood (my head l mean)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Whoever you use be certain they will cover the caravan if that breaks down.

We have the CC Mayday "Green Flag" cover purely for peace of mind. The cost imo is not much different to the big boys. Check it out on the CC site.

Not sure if the C&CC do a similar scheme.

Cheers

Dustydog

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The RAC arrival scheme through the C&CC. This scheme has no restriction what so ever on caravans either length or recovery if the problem is with the caravan not the tow vehicle. Used it last year in France, absolutely brilliant, I would not even consider using anyone else.

Steve W

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
Thanks so far. I'm a CC member but the mayday scheme is Greenflag & it seems to cover the vehicles & not the people. Also its more expensive than either the AA or RAC at least for our two cars of 4 & 9 years old.

I havent yet found a reasonable priced scheme that will cover us both in the uk for basic recovery home or destination & also for our 2 week trip to France. The full European cover is very expensice & seems a waste unless you travel there several times a year. Still looking tho........

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The full European cover is very expensice & seems a waste unless you travel there several times a year.

I thought that until I broke down on a Sunday afternoon in the South of France, towing a 7 metre van. Under those circumstance, I would have paid the annual fee 10 times over, just to get it sorted with out a fuss. As I said, The RAC were brilliant.

Steve W

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Glenn, our mayday covers everything its personal cover for me and wife so it doesnt matter what car we are in. Includes completing your journey if on way to site etc.

The price was half the renewal i had just got from the AA

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Glenn, all "car based" recovery services have a least 1 restriction regarding car & caravan recovery some are as follows

length restriction on caravan

will not attend to c/van unless attatched to the car

will not recover the caravan unless the car is also unroad worthy

will only recover to nearest garage

will not recover the caravan in the case of a road traffic accident

will not attend to a fault on the caravan

no doubt there are many other variations, But you can bet your life if some thing happens when you are away that incident will not be covered.

The only sure way is to take up cover Via the CC or the C&CC.They are the only ones to specificaly design their cover for caravaners & the cover they offer is not the same as the cover offered by the base agents Green flag for CC & R A C for the C&CC

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't fault Green Flag when we broke down in France a few years ago. I have now taken breakdown insurance with Europ Assist which as a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists, I can get alongside my car insurance at a cost of

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Consider one of the schemes linked to a bank account.

E.G. I have breakdown cover with recovery (including European cover), worldwide travel insurance, use of airport lounges, and some other minor things for

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
This is funny, I've just asked about this on the 'GENERAL' link and i have made my mind up to join Greenflag, Got some good feed back about Mayday.

Reagrds, John

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I've found the number of recommendations for Green Flag surprising as having read through their policy documents I thought their limit on the length of caravan too restrictive at a maximum of 7 metres?

Would I be right in thinking that Green Flag is now owned by the Direct Line Group (Churchill etc.) who all apply the same restrictions to their breakdown policy (Direct Line specified a maximum length of 6.49 metres when I spoke to their customer services?) and Churchill states that it covers your caravan or trailer on its website but when you read the policy document the 7 metre limit applies.

Can anyone recommend breakdown cover for caravans longer than 7 metres?

Maybe PC could do an article/test of the best breakdown cover for Caravans?

Thanks

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We had the delema last year of breakdown cover for 8 metre caravan I asked on line on this Forum and had a number of replies from caravanners who have European breakdown cover with ADAC the German equilivant to AA but the cover is fantastic.

If you look at my website www.dvthompson.webs.com/joysof caravanning you can read about this and how to join. The price for my husband and I car and it includes 8 metre caravan is 98.40 Euro's per year. Any help you need let me know.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts