Which breakdown insurance

Mar 22, 2007
Visit site
Can anyone recommend Green Flag or CC Rescue (Mayday)? May Day use Green Flag trucks for recovery. Gren Flag is a lot cheaper than Mayday. We have an Indianna caravan which is 7.194m 23'7" Green Flag state maximum size is 7m and width 2.25 width of Indianna 2.28. Can anyone recommend which one? Any replies much appreciated.

Mar 28, 2007
Visit site
CC Mayday use Green Flag but there is no restriction on size. You can only get that concession by going through Mayday.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Isabel,I would strongly advise you to use either the C&CC or CC variations of the RAC & Greenflag as they are specificly designed for the use of caravaners. All other recovery agents including RAC & Greenflag even though they say they cover caravans as well,seem to have disadvantages such as only attending to the van if it is attached to the car,or not recover the van in the case of a road traffic acident,or will recover the van only to a local garage,Or as you have found out restrictions in van length.some will not attend to a fault that is on the caravan at all

regards TD

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Isabel,I would strongly advise you to use either the C&CC or CC variations of the RAC & Greenflag as they are specificly designed for the use of caravaners. All other recovery agents including RAC & Greenflag even though they say they cover caravans as well,seem to have disadvantages such as only attending to the van if it is attached to the car,or not recover the van in the case of a road traffic acident,or will recover the van only to a local garage,Or as you have found out restrictions in van length.some will not attend to a fault that is on the caravan at all

regards TD
PS I use Britannia via the CSMA which cover all aspects,even cover in the EU but they will not recover the car or the van in the case of a road traffic accident . I ended up using red pennant when we toured France just in case.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Try German ADAC they do cover for car and caravan over 8 metres for 97 Euros if you look at their website Google can translate into English.

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Tony

I was a bit shocked to read that Brittania do not cover the car or van in the case of an R.T.A..

I'm just reading my policy doc now and it clearly states that they do cover recovery in the case of an accident. They do ask you to try your insurance first "so that you receive the full entitlement from your insurance poicy"

They then say they that if inurance asstance is not available they will "happily provide the services a shown under your cover entitlement"

Do you know something which contradicts these statements, if you do I would very much like to know, it would concern a great deal to think I could be left at the side of a motorway with a smashed car and a van and no easy way to get towed away without remortgaging the house.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
I was the same as yourself, but as we were touring france for 6 weeks I double checked with CSMA/Brittania & was told that they would not recover from a camp site or in the case of a road traffic accident as this was down to the car insurer,I then checked with the car insurer, who would not recover the van,& the C&CC van insurers would not recover the van either, So I ended up taking out red penant with the CC

& yes we do have Britannia premium cover which covers the EU

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Tony

Thanks for update.

I've just called Brittania who confirmed that in the case of a RTA or breakdown they WILL recover anything being towed.

I can sleep easy.

I didn't ask about recovery out of the UK, perhaps you were refering to european cover and I didn't read the thread correctly.

Thanks for the update though.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi thorpedo,I suggest you get their answer in writing.The following is a copy of the reply I received

Dear Mr A Drew

Thank you for your email requesting information about caravan cover with Brittania Rescue.

I hope the following answers your questions:

We would recover a caravan to the UK if it was not towable due to a problem with the van itself.

We would not recover caravan/car from a bona fide camping/caravan site.

The only instance in which we would not assist caravan breakdown/recovery is in the event of a Road Traffic Accident.

Best Regards

Hardip Heer

Customer Service Representative

Britannia Rescue

St George's Square

Huddersfield

HD1 1JF

from Brittania.

I did not let it rest at this reply but double & triple checked, & still was told that in the case of a RTA they would not recover car or Van

Tony

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi thorpedo,I suggest you get their answer in writing.The following is a copy of the reply I received

Dear Mr A Drew

Thank you for your email requesting information about caravan cover with Brittania Rescue.

I hope the following answers your questions:

We would recover a caravan to the UK if it was not towable due to a problem with the van itself.

We would not recover caravan/car from a bona fide camping/caravan site.

The only instance in which we would not assist caravan breakdown/recovery is in the event of a Road Traffic Accident.

Best Regards

Hardip Heer

Customer Service Representative

Britannia Rescue

St George's Square

Huddersfield

HD1 1JF

from Brittania.

I did not let it rest at this reply but double & triple checked, & still was told that in the case of a RTA they would not recover car or Van

Tony
I have sent an email to the CSMA requesting full clarification on this subject

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi again Tony

I had a phone call from Brittania followed up by this email which I will print and keep in the car :-

"

Following our telephone conversation please find confirmation of cover below.

In the event of a road traffic accident, we will recover your vehicle and trailer or caravan, if you are unable to drive or move your vehicle.

There is no cover through your motor insurance to repair the item being towed as it is covered on a third party only basis, while attached to the car.

"

I hope you receive a somilar reply Tony.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi again Tony

I had a phone call from Brittania followed up by this email which I will print and keep in the car :-

"

Following our telephone conversation please find confirmation of cover below.

In the event of a road traffic accident, we will recover your vehicle and trailer or caravan, if you are unable to drive or move your vehicle.

There is no cover through your motor insurance to repair the item being towed as it is covered on a third party only basis, while attached to the car.

"

I hope you receive a somilar reply Tony.
Thanks Thorpedo.I have received the following reply

Mr Drew,

I write regarding your Britannia Rescue caravanning query.

As this product is supplied by Liverpool Victoria as well as all terms & conditions underwritten by them , I have forwarded the matter on to them at the address below, with a request that the matter is investigated and a response sent directly to you:

Affinity Relations

Liverpool-Victoria

County Gates

Bournemouth

Dorset

BH1 2NF

Alternatively, if you have any further concerns, please feel free to contact us on 0845 345 7444.

Kind Regards

Membership Number :

James Pennick

CSMA Club membership advisor

James Pennick I Member Service Advisor I CSMA Club I Britannia House, 21 Station Street , Brighton , BN1 4DE I d 01273 744 744 I f 01273 744 450 I e James.Pennick@csmaclub.co.uk {pipe delimiter} csmaclub.co.uk

I would vey much appreceate a copy of the E mail you received though

Xaad@fsmail.net

Regards Tony

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
06:28 PM Thanks Thorpedo.I have received the following reply

Mr Drew,

I write regarding your Britannia Rescue caravanning query.

As this product is supplied by Liverpool Victoria as well as all terms & conditions underwritten by them , I have forwarded the matter on to them at the address below, with a request that the matter is investigated and a response sent directly to you:

Affinity Relations

Liverpool-Victoria

County Gates

Bournemouth

Dorset

BH1 2NF

Alternatively, if you have any further concerns, please feel free to contact us on 0845 345 7444.

Kind Regards

Membership Number :

James Pennick

CSMA Club membership advisor

James Pennick I Member Service Advisor I CSMA Club I Britannia House, 21 Station Street , Brighton , BN1 4DE I d 01273 744 744 I f 01273 744 450 I e James.Pennick@csmaclub.co.uk {pipe delimiter} csmaclub.co.uk

I would vey much appreceate a copy of the E mail you received though

Xaad@fsmail.net

Regards Tony

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts