Which caravan??

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
Looking to spend up to £8000 cash for a caravan after packing the family into a 1985 Compass Echo 3.6 /2 like sardines but still having fun!

The tow car is a Mercedes 2.4 diesel estate.

Desire; somewhere for my 4 yo disabled son to sleep where he cant roll out of bed and hurt himself, somewhere for able bodied daughter to sleep, double for me and wife, who likes to sleep in so, a seperate 2 berth dinette would be good for me to have my breakfast and read my paper.

Looking around a site at Coniston this weekend, I saw every shape and size and would like some advice before looking at the dealers.

Anyone have any pointers, a good layout fitting the above requirements?

What makes resell well?

So I guess some 5 berth format will be in order.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Richard Not sure you will get everything you are after in a 5 berth? (thinking of the 2 berth dinning area) but we have an Abbey Aventura 5 berth. It has a double of single at the end and another bunk on top (the whole bed spans the width of the van). The good point is that your son could have the lower bed made up as a double which would give him plenty of room...also it has a solid wood sliding door which can be part closed and will help with the issue of perhaps falling out of bed? Our kids call it the den, in the day time it has an L seating arrangement down the lower end with a table and TV shelf. When the weather is bad the kids shut themselves off with the door and watch TV? Top end is conventional layout and you can sleep double or singles...single may be better, then you can use the fixed table in front of the window for breakie (It slides out) without disturbing your wire. You also have a non fixed table that can be used for all eating around at the lounge end if you prefer. Our van is actually a special from Michael Jordon, we are very please with it and for us appears to be the ideal solution with good space for everyone. We also use the lower end with the sliding door as a changing room, easier than trying to change in the bathroom which is the conventional built in shower mid van type. Good luck and enjoy the hunting..P&R

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Meant to say, we paid 10k for a 2004 van that was harldy used about 6 months ago, this van is immaculate, you should get a nice van for your 8k budget.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
HI Richard

I have the single axle 6berth, fixed bunk at the back,side dinette which turns to two good solid beds and the double at the front, I put my two year old in lower bunk and he's rolled out a couple of times,not hurt as its quite low to the carpeted floor!!!!!!!mines the lunar zenith6, 1300kg! Avondale dart 650-6(i think) is the same layout,great for familys !! mines an 04 for 9k so you should do ok !!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Richard

just as an after thought, you are probably aware of the bed guards you can get in the likes of argos and such, for when the child first goes in a big bed,tomy do a travel,fold up one! these fit nicely in a caravn bed and will protect your son, should give you a wider choice of layout !!!!

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Richard

just as an after thought, you are probably aware of the bed guards you can get in the likes of argos and such, for when the child first goes in a big bed,tomy do a travel,fold up one! these fit nicely in a caravn bed and will protect your son, should give you a wider choice of layout !!!!
Thanks for the help! Made the mistake of of looking at new ones and nothing secondhand looks quite the same does it?

A Bailey Ranger 5500/6 seems to fit the bill perfectly except for the price.....

The bed guard thing seems a terrific idea, I'll look ino them!

Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts