Which Computer?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi All
I'm looking for some computer advice.
My trusty desktop computer works really well after at least six or seven years but the old operating system, Windows XP, will no longer be supported by Microsoft after next month.
I hope to keep it to store pictures and music on it, I'd hate to get rid of it because it really works very well.
I don't think that my tower would support Windows 8 however so I've been having a look round to see what options are available to me.
The computer retailers (Curry's etc) are full of laptop models these days, and I've been wondering whether to buy a laptop model so that I can also use it when I'm away from home, it's just that I've never had one or used one.
My youngest son reckons that Windows 8 isn't very good, he said that Windows 7 is better but I don't want to buy something which is out of date, although I remember the Windows Vista fiasco and I don't want to make a big mistake either.
Would I be able to connect a laptop to my existing flat screen monitor which also still works well when I'm at home?
The models that I've been looking at are mid range at between £350-£400, 15.6 screen, 1 TB hard drive and 8 GB RAM
Obviously the guy in the shop is going to tell me whatever he thinks I want to hear, he needs the sale, so for an unbiased opinion from experienced laptop users over to you ......
smiley-smile.gif

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
There is a huge choice Steve......IMO you are looking in the right area if you want a new laptop......I have a Fujitsu laptop bought new @ £340 on Windows7 and I cannot fault it...........I also have two IBM laptops bought refurbished from this company who I can recommend if you consider buying second hand......they are a top notch company who will give you unbiased advice if you need it.......all my laptops have a socket for an external monitor.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve,
I have recently changed from tower to laptop and have an Aspire V3-751 which has Intel Core i17 processor, 1Tb HDD, 8GB Ram.Intel HD Graphics, CDRW, multi card reader, webcam etc etc etc
I find it very good as it has a large screen (15.6HD LED LCD) and it is fast!
I cannot get used to the touchpad for the cursor so use a wireless mouse instead, which works really well.
Windows 8 is "different" and takes some getting used to but I actually prefer it now to W7

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Gents, quite a few options to consider because I hadn't thought about a reconditioned desktop tower or getting the motherboard on my Fujitsu desktop upgraded so that I could install Windows 7 and still have a laptop for when I'm away in the caravan.

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi Parksy, have you thought about replacing XP with something like Linux Mint? You can download it from here:
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/www.linuxmint.com/pub/linuxmint.com//stable/16/linuxmint-16-cinnamon-dvd-32bit.iso
Just burn it to a DVD and boot from this, It will not do anything to your PC, but will allow you try it and see if you can get on with it and if you do like it, you can then install it to your HD.

Pro's:
You do not need any anti-virus software
It does not use any version of IE ;-)
Vast amount of free software available
It is free (well appart from the cost of the DVD)

Con's:
It is not windows, so you cannot use windows software, though some of it can be used via a program called 'wine'

If you do buy a laptop, get the best you can afford. Check, before you buy, if it can be downgraded to windows 7, some can. If you do get a windows 8 one, then all is not lost, you can very easily make it look like windows 7 and I believe that the next version (8.1) is going to look like windows 7, windows 8 is supposed to be faster than 7.

PS, when did the formatting go up the spout ???

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Hortimech
I thought about Linux but didn't realise there was a free download so many thanks for that.
I've been out and about talking to one or two people today and have found out that the issue with Windows XP and Microsoft ending support is not of immediate concern, my desktop tower will still work very well and although Windows are not going to provide security updates I use a paid for version of Kaspersky Anti Virus which will continue to ward off anything nasty as it has done for the past few years.
The computer has enough spare capacity for an upgrade to Windows7 if and when I need to do this according to the online compatibility report from Microsoft.
The trouble is that having had a play around with several different laptops over the past couple of days I've found that I like them and now I've got to have one, it's just got to be done
smiley-laughing.gif

I found out that an important consideration for a laptop with what I want to use it for, social media, music and photos which I can move to my desktop tower, a vast memory isn't really necessary but the proccessor is an important consideration for speed and useability.
Apparently good proccessors are graded, with i3,i5 i7 being the ones to look for.
For what I want to spend (around £400) I can get a laptop with a 15.6 screen and an i5 processor running Windows 8 which should fit the bill.
I'm getting an Acer laptop with £100 off the original price tomorrow which should help me to keep in touch when I'm away in the caravan.
The formatting problem for this forum first showed up in January, it doesn't look as though a repair is going to be made available for us anytime soon
smiley-frown.gif

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
The problem with the end of XP updates is not so much concerned with virus problems, but with any 'holes' that can be exploited. Nobody knows if there are any and if there are any, they will never get closed, so the bad hats out there will try to exploit them and this could be huge problem.

As for Linux, apart from distributions like Red Hat Enterprise Linux or Suse, then they are all free and most XP users would find them easy to use.

May 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi Parksy, i had a Lenovo, in fact i still have it but it started to go a bit slow so went to PC world and asked for advise, told them what i needed and they showed me an Apple Macbook air, unbelievable compared to mine . 18 hour battery life and so quick !!!. It was a lot more money than a windows system but no way will i change back.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Steve, don't bother with upgrading and carry on using XP for the next couple of years. After all how often have you contacted MS to ask for help? All that is going to stop on the updates. I still have XP on my other laptop and use it from time to time although I prefer Win 7. Win 7 according to a lot of pundits is far better and easier to use than Win 8.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I think you're right.
My brain is fried trying to get my head around how to get my new laptop to do what I want it to do.
I'm off to the pub, I'll have another go tomorrow
smiley-laughing.gif

TRENDING THREADS