Which Ford

Jan 8, 2007
Visit site
I am undecided on my next Ford. Should I have the Galaxy or the S Max? I have a series 5 Bailey Pageant and both of these vehicles are more than capable of towing this van but which one would be the better day to day vehicle.

Look forward to your comments

Nick "G"

Hi Nick, I have the Galaxy (2.2); I have never driven a more comfortable car it is night and day in comparison with the old model. The S Max never took my fancy as I want a 7 seater (3rd row of seats in the S Max are a joke) even though I like the look of the Max. On a run doing about 70 I get 45mph and if I tow at 60 it's in the 30's.

You might get a good deal on one of these cars as Ford are revamping both models (tweaks here and there)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Nick2 - those two vehicles have exactly the same "DNA", ie chassis platform, power train, body systems, electrics etc so it has to come down to which vehicle suits your needs most.

Others can give their opinion of the two vehicles but can't make your choice.

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Nick

ever considered a Mondeo 2.0 / 2.2 TDCI Tatanium

has been voted tow car of there year

it plenty room and execellent fuel comsumption

A great family car. Due to change my focus this year have my eye on a mondeo. Used to have one previous to the focus wish i hadnt have changed my mind

if i had a choice of just the galaxy or the Smax I think i would go for the Smax doesnt look like a galaxy school bus.

but each to there own ... only you can decide

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
Hello Nick

I have a Mondeo 2ltr TDCI Zetec model,On a54 plate i,e, 6years old. It is the best tow car I have had considering price, running costs, depreciation etc.

The latest model is a higher rated engine and has an enormous boot. The main problem is that Ford have increased prices four times over the last 15 months so it is not that good a bargain right now. "What Car" have just nominated the Mazda 6 Diesel as their car of the year for 2010 due to Ford price increases.Internet brokers are offering new uk sourced Mazda 6 models for under

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
My next door has a mazda 6

He scared of anything going wrong with it

as he says its so expensive to repair and get parts for

I think no matter what i will still go for the mondeo anyday

been a ford man all my days

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Some have rated the S-max as a better tow car as it is a more "sports" orientated vehicle and has stiffer, more heavily damped suspension.

Supposedly, below the window line, the Galaxy/S-max are identical but I'm not sure whether the 3rd row of seats in the Galaxy have you sat on the floor as they do in the S-max, I'm 6'1" and can easily sit upright in the 3rd row of the S-max, there is actually more headroom than in the old Galaxy but you're sat on the floor with your knees up to acheive this.

Most people prefer the looks of the S-max, rather like a hatchback on steroids than an MPV.

We chose the S-max over the Galaxy because

It was much cheaper

Better looking

Better to drive

The additional space in the Galaxy isn't actually that usable for us.

It tows our 1600kg t/a caravan through strong crosswinds with barely a flinch but front wheel drive and a tall reverse gear are a pain at times. A 4wd S-max would be a fantastic towcar. I don't go offroad and have no use whatsoever for a car with any offroad capabilities thats big on the outside and no space on the inside but I would like a decent 4wd MPV.

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We tow a Series 5 Bailey Pageant Bretangue with an S Max, good tow car and solo both on motorways and country roads. We are a family of 5 so only use the 3rd row of seats if we have additional relatives or kids friends, cousins with us. OH has had 7 adults in the car and enough head room and space. There is plenty of space in the boot area if you are not using the 3rd row of seats. This weekend we managed to get a superking size mattress in the back to take to local skip. Mechanism for the 3rd row of seats is easy to use.

Annette

As far as I know that Galaxy and the Smax have the same running gear.Even tho its just the Mrs and I we have the Galaxy as I stated before, the reason is the boot fold the back seats down throw 2 sets of golf clubs and all the gear that goes with that and still have loads of room.

My main concern when buying the Galaxy was the tow ball limit,its only 75kg.The old shape Galaxy is 85kg

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
The S-max towball limit is 80kg up to Feb 2008 and 90kg for any that were built afterwards - don't know where the difference come from as the towbar is the same (also fits the Galaxy).

We've got a 2.0TDCi, pulling 1410kg of Pageant Champagne. Pulls like a train and it's rock steady. We get about 34mpg towing, 45-50mpg solo depending on the roads/journey type. Loads of space inside and very comfortable for 5 adults and the kids love the two rear seats. I'm 5'10" and find the rear seats reasonably comfortable although I'm not sure if I'd want to go all the way to Scotland in them but a couple of hours wouldn't worry me.

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
Scott

If it is just the two of you, have you considered the Kuga ...?

Not quite as much space, I will grant you, but you get four wheel drive, 100kg noseweight and 1600kg vehicle weight.

I like mine so far, but have yet to give it a good test with the van on the back.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
The S-Max towbar load is 80kg up to Feb 2008 manufacture and 90kg for any built after that. I'd assume that its similar for the Galaxy as it's the same chassis. The towbar is the same for both vehicles.

We've got a 2009 2.0TDCi S_max pulling our 1410kg Pageant Champage. The car pulls like a train is is rock steady not usually aware of lorries or white van man hurtling past unless you see them in the mirror. We get 34-35mpg towing and 45-50 solo, depending on the journey/roads (we live in the country and the roads are very twisting and rough. It also handles very well around the country lanes.

There is loads of room with the back pair of seats stowed and a good amount when they are in use. The grandkids love the back seats and I'm quite happy to sit in them for an hour or so. The main passenger space for 5 adults is more than adequate - loads of legroom and the three individual seats are wide enough for comfort, even the one in the middle doesn't feel squashed. It's got a nice high seating position which suits my wife's dodgy hip and give a better view than a saloon like the Mondeo. Even my 86 year old mum can get in and out with relative ease compared to struggling in a saloon.

We've also got a 2.0 TDCi C-Max which is nearly as good (we've towed almost 5000 miles with it) but you can notice the subtle improvement of the extra weight,longer wheelbase and slightly lower gearing of the S-Max. The towing mpg is about the same but the C-max is 3-4mpg better than the S-Max when solo. Again a very comfortable roomy car and a bit quicker off the mark than the S-Max when solo.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
I have an SMax and agree with the comments made by Dave above. Mine has the 2.2 TDCI engine and I have always found that it has plenty of torque when towing (I have an Ace Aristocrat - 1480kg)and the SMax manages about 30mpg towing.

There is plenty of space for the heavy items in the back and the Smax is always stable when towing.

I too have previously towed with a 2.0 TDCI CMax and also found it quite capable as but the SMax is about 150kg heavier and it is noticeably more stable in general when towing the same caravan, especially at motorway speeds.

Jeff

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
s-max looks a nice piece of kit,I would not be dissapointed with one,Galaxy though ,it just says Cletus from the simpsons to me,expect the doors to open & be bombarded with 20 urchins

Scott

If it is just the two of you, have you considered the Kuga ...?

Not quite as much space, I will grant you, but you get four wheel drive, 100kg noseweight and 1600kg vehicle weight.

I like mine so far, but have yet to give it a good test with the van on the back.
Hi Basil, I like the look of the Kuga but if I was going back to a 4x4 I would go for a Freelander but like the Kuga the boot is a bit wee 2 sets off golf clubs 2 trollys (1 electric) and all the other rubbish that golfers carry about.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
With all the alternatives available, why limit your choices to a ford? i haven't had one since the mk4 cortina, lots of cars just as good available, or dare i say better?

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I sell new Ford cars for a living. I was so impressed with the S-Max I bought one myself. I have a Titanium 2.0 TDCi and can't fault it for either solo or towing.

Feb 10, 2007
Visit site
With all the alternatives available, why limit your choices to a ford? i haven't had one since the mk4 cortina, lots of cars just as good available, or dare i say better?
according to the reliabilityindex.co.uk Ford are rated in the top ten best cars Far better build than any German makes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts