Which one to chose?

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I think we need to know a little more about how you intend to use your motor home and some of your personal preferences before anyone can get down to recommending models or makes.

When we decided that a motor home was for us we sat down and wrote a list of possible features or facilities. we then batted these around and classified them as "must have, "would be nice" of "don't care". That then gave us a set of parameters to work with when looking through catalogues and magazines before ever venturing into a dealership.

Some of the topics we considered were:

Height, width, length and weight?
Bed arrangements, over-cab, fixed, bunk?
Security systems for both motor home and occupants?
Cooking arrangements, hob, oven, microwave, fridge freezer?
Shower and toilet arrangement?
Internal storage space?
External storage lockers?
Cycle rack and tow bar?
Heating and ventilation?
Fresh and waste water facilities?
Solar panels, leisure batteries and on-board charger?
AV entertainment options?
Fixed awning?
Drive away awning options?

The list goes on but does help you to narrow down the enormous number of options to something that can help you manage the search through brochures and, even more so, when you step onto a dealership forecourt.

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
This is a subject close to my heart as my wife and I bought a new motorhome. We settled on a van conversion simply because we thoroughly enjoyed our VW T25 for many years but wanted a bit more comfort and a big sliding door to 'have a front lounge in the outdoors'. The prime consideration for us was being able to park a bigger motorhome on our drive. The 6 metre Fiat Ducato just fits width-wise with some judicious reversing. A new motorhome will probably have all the latest basics on board anyway. We looked at many van conversions and found the best build quality and value for money from Vantage in Leeds.
We enjoyed a long tour of the Scottish Highlands this year in our brand new van with no problems whatsoever. The plus points for us are: it is wonderfully comforable, the kitchen layout works very well and when it is cold outside on site, the heater make the van lovely and warm. The Fiat drives very well and is also very comfortable. If you hadn't already guessed, we are delighted with our 6metre Ora and Vantage aftersales service is outstanding. Consider purchasing from a well respected van converter before making your final decison. You may get a longer warranty and a newer motorhome at a better price.I hope our experience helps.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
When we purchased our first van we didn't really know a lot and were lucky, in the end, to get one that suited us for 5 years before we wanted a change. As a result we drew up a checklist of essentials and desirables before buying our second van.

The list can be downloaded from Here. Obviously it's highly unlikely to match your requirements but it may be useful as a start rather than a blank sheet of paper.

Graham

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Well, As far as I concerned, you should go to Japan Car Import or directly meet them over here http://www.japancarimport.co.uk/

I bought Mazda Bongo Friendee from them at a very very affordable price. I just want you to check them once & maybe you get some nice car.

Cheers

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
It's a personal choice. The reason there are so many out there to chose from is because everyone is different, and has their own idea of what suits them.
Consider one aspect. If you like 99% of the features of a motorhome and you dislike 1%, I guarantee if you go ahead and buy it, the 1% will be a constant niggle to you forever and ever.
It might be a slight headroom issue..the bed might be an inch too short...there's not quite enough storage...etc etc
You are spending a lot of money, and you really only want to spend it once, so look and test until you are certain it hasn't got a 1% niggle

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
No compromises - EVER - then, Pete? It might take a long time to find a van on that basis.
For instance, a larger van has issues with parking, narrow roads, turning circle etc, while a smaller one might involve less storage space, a bed that needs making up, or whatever. So most of us end up compromising on something.
Lots of people make two lists: "Must have" and "Nice to have." Everything on the first list is an absolute deal-breaker, no compromise at all. Then you look for a van that has MOST of your "Nice" list.
But it's no good having a "must have" list that includes "Under 5m" AND "fixed bed" AND "plenty of storage," unless you're prepared to buy two motorhomes!

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Well Tony, if you had read what I had written instead of putting your own interpretation.......
We had four new caravans over 15 years. Each one I thought we had chosen the right one but after a bit of use turns out we didn't. The last one had one of those flexible roller doors around the washroom. The door itself wasn't a problem but I always had an issue with my knees wedged into it when using the facility. Something I never considered at the time of purchase.
And that one thing bugged me for three years, and that was the point I was making.
If you wish to type in capital letters, probably to emphasise a point, that's fine, however some people might interpret it as shouting and impolite.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Point taken Pete, and no offence intended! Sorry we got off on the wrong foot.
Perhaps it's lazy of me, when italics are available on this site, but I tend to use capitals for emphasis - only ever of one or two individual words though. I'm well aware that a whole sentence of caps is impolite, and you won't find that from me.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Morganic said:
I'm ooking to buy a motor home either van based or low profile. Anyone got any suggestions. Budget about £45000
Thanks

I would Hire one , as close to the type you aspire to, and give it a try for a week. expensive but not as expensive as making a mistake. Ray

TRENDING THREADS