Which one would you have!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, in the next five months we are going to change our car, The Caravan we got is a Bailey Moselle weigh 1300kg, The cars we like are VW Passat Estate and the Rover 75 Estate and the Freelander 5 doors model all diesel and Automatic, which one would you go for, Thank you for your time. Trevor

G

Forget the Rover, family friends Rover suffered some water damage in recent heavy rain and flooding about a month ago.

The insurance company wrote the car off straight away as the demise of Rover made the car worthless in the insurers view. The owner has lost a small fortune on the deal and it was a great car.

The car was bought new at a reasonable price but the minimal damage and subsequent payout was "minimal"

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
We bought a new Freelander Td4 5 door station wagon in March this year and have just towed our caravan to the Highlands of Scotland and back from East Anglia. We also did a lot of driving over the two weeks we were there and it was a good test of the vehicle. We are more than pleased with the way it handled and would thoroughly recommend it. The drop down back window is especially useful when someone is guiding you back to hitch up. Land Rover are doing a good deal at the moment, possibly because the new Freelander is coming out at the end of the year.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Pauline, Thank you for your info, just a couple of things,What do you get to the gallon towing and solo, and is your a Automatic? Thanks Trevor

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
Are you buying new?? I'd go for the Passat, (4 motion tdi 130).I know a lot of people would disagree, but i wouldn't touch the Freelander with a barge pole. A pal had one and had nothing but grief with it. How about a Honda crv? Great deals on just now as new model is due soon, great to drive solo, and ultra reliable. As for the rover, i'd rather have a Skoda!,

regards, Gavin.

Sep 3, 2006
Visit site
Had a CRV some years ago and it was great (never used it for towing though).

Our Honda dealer always said that the best advert for the CRV was a Freelander because people who bought them loved the concept but couldn't stand the unreliability and so swapped to a CRV!

Barry

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To balance this one out a bit, don't dismiss the Rover. The 75 was and is a reasonably reliable car, quite a bit better than other Rover products, which were not as bad as people make out. It's comfortable, economical in diesel form and personally I think, good looking. Add to that, how cheap they are, you get a surprisingly capable car for little dosh. I have had two Passats (much older) in the past and found them to be characterless and not such great shakes in the reliability department either. As for the Freelander, with the new model on the doorstep, you need to buy cheap. You will probably wonder how much better the new model is and would it have been worth waiting for one.

At the end of the day, just buy like you would a caravan, something that fits your needs and buy on condition, not age.

Hope this helps.

G

Family friends has received a derisory offer yesterday that will only buy them a "banger" to replace their lovely 75 Estate. At present they stand to be about ten thousand out of pocket.

If you buy a Rover and are unfortunate to have to clain on insurance what will it cost you ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's quite simple Euro, either your family fiends paid too much for the car in the first place or they chose the wrong company/policy for their insurance. You cannot blame the Rover for their predicament.

Instead, why not blame the government for standing idly by while our motoring heritage was destroyed, or the constant harping on by detractors, who really should know better

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi Pauline, Thank you for your info, just a couple of things,What do you get to the gallon towing and solo, and is your a Automatic? Thanks Trevor
Ours is a manual Freelander.

We haven't yet calculated exactly what mpg we're getting.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Are you buying new?? I'd go for the Passat, (4 motion tdi 130).I know a lot of people would disagree, but i wouldn't touch the Freelander with a barge pole. A pal had one and had nothing but grief with it. How about a Honda crv? Great deals on just now as new model is due soon, great to drive solo, and ultra reliable. As for the rover, i'd rather have a Skoda!,

regards, Gavin.
The problems were with the older Freelanders and have been sorted out with the newer models.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
euro, why don't you ask your friend in the trade to see what

the value of the rover is in the glassiers guide.or check out

the autotraders site for similar cars.

Insurance companies do have to take note,and if they are offering below book, or you find that they are selling for more

they have to listen, you may be able to do youe friends a good

turn.

2nd hand, the rovers are a lot of car for the money.

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site

regards, Gavin.
I didn't think the new model was out long enough to prove its reliability?

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Rover 75 every time.

Either in estate or tourer it is a lovely looking car and built like no other Rover over the last 30 years i.e correctly. The real gem is that an the diesel engine is a BMW unit as is the axles and the drive train. Couple this with some very nice interior design and you've got a bit of a winner!

Rover or BMW parts are easily available in fact they are now more available than they were before because the makers are no longer in dispute with Rover over when they're getting paid !!

Monkey's Husband

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's quite simple Euro, either your family fiends paid too much for the car in the first place or they chose the wrong company/policy for their insurance. You cannot blame the Rover for their predicament.

Instead, why not blame the government for standing idly by while our motoring heritage was destroyed, or the constant harping on by detractors, who really should know better
Here, here. Well said.

Sep 15, 2005
Visit site
Courtesy of Auto Express.

75s produced by MG Rover at Longbridge are better than those built by BMW at Oxford, and the handling is superior, too. The easiest way to distinguish a Longbridge example is that they have body-coloured sills rather than the Oxford-made cars' black ones

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/usedcartests/57742/rover_75.html
Brian
i myself tow with a 1998 rover 400 tourer ave done for the past

4 years troublefree

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts