Which route to take.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
We can input the dimensions of our unit into the Satnav and it avoids dubious routes. Finds you alternative routes.

Yes you can.

Ask yourself how the SatNav knows where not to send you taking account of the dimensions you input.

Obviously it compares your input with what information it holds on its map. How else could it operate?

Sounds great doesn't it. And great it is for avoiding known, and present on the map data (for example a low bridge or the A86 if you're in France). Included amongst the things is cannot do is avoid "dubious" routes as you've called them - and I know exactly what you mean.

Ask yourself how a SatNav knows if our "dubious route" is seen as a "dubious route" by someone else! Who should the SatNav listen to? Obviously it can only use the information it holds on its map and "dubious routes" don't exist. The route will either have known restrictions or it won't.

The things it doesn't know and can't know can still catch out unwary tuggers is what I'm saying.

SatNavs often have a choice of route. For example scenic, economical and fastest spring to mind. But even if they don't have such questionable "benefits" they will still treat all roads that have no restrictions on their map the same.

How many times have you been on a speed restricted road and a tiny lane would cut the corner and save you time and distance? The tiny lane is shorter, has no known restrictions such as low bridges and is de-restricted so must be faster says the SatBNav with a smile! :unsure:

If you have a few spare minutes try for yourself using Via Michelin (which incidentally offers a choice of Michelin recommended, Quickest, Shortest, Discovery and Economical) and your SatNav. I bet you will soon find routes that, knowing the roads personally, you would describe as "dubious" and avoid.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts