Which type of stabiliser?

Jul 4, 2006
Visit site
Hi All

I need some advice on which type and make of stabiliser is best with regards to ease of use and performance. I have an Elddis Avante 475 (2003) and need to get a stabiliser.

Please help!!

Magnus

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Alko AKS stabiliser is very easy to use and does a good job

The best I have used is the Straightliner but you have like with all blade type stabilisers to handle and install it.

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
Magnus

We had a blade staliser until earlier this year when we changed to the Alko Our reason was my husband has back problems and I had trouble getting the blade in place securely enough due to my arthritis

The Alko is so so very much easier,its worth its weight and price a hundred times over

Go for it

Gill

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Magnus

I use a straightliner stabliser. Although rather pricey they were highly recommended when tested by the Caravan Clubs and mags a few years back.

It is a blade stabiliser but different to other stablilisers in that it does not damp down the movement by the use of friction pads but actually has a gas strut which not only damps down movement but physically pushes the van in line again if it starts to snake.

I have towed all over the Continent, at higher motorway speeds, and in the UK using this stabliser, with 2 different vans,currently a large twin-axle, over the last 8+ years and I have been VERY PLEASED.

Even with a good stabiliser careful loading of the van and thoughtful driving are still essential, of course!

Happy 'vanning

Tim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Straighliner is very good indeed but the Alko is more convenient.

I keep intending to put my little used Straightliner complete with car bracket ,carry bag and video up for sale but another seaon has gone by .....

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Hello John

I used a bulldog stabiliser for many years, but eventually got fed up with it being another piece of equipment to be fitted/removed several times for each outing. After weighing up the Alko/Winterhoff options, I plumped for the Winterhoff, as this appeared, both to me and others I spoke to, to offer superior engineering at that time. It also very neat,compact, and there is a natty lightweight lock for it. This lock is worth considering, as it is capable of being fitted very quickly and easily whilst hooked up to the van, making it useful at motorway services. I don't use it on the move of course.

Athough I haven't checked this, I believe that the stabilser/lock combination offers is a significant weight saving over the blade, A frame shoe,car bracket,normal hitchlock set up.

With my T/A, the only dynamic difference seems to be less pitching, giving the rear seat passengers a better ride.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Hello John

I used a bulldog stabiliser for many years, but eventually got fed up with it being another piece of equipment to be fitted/removed several times for each outing. After weighing up the Alko/Winterhoff options, I plumped for the Winterhoff, as this appeared, both to me and others I spoke to, to offer superior engineering at that time. It also very neat,compact, and there is a natty lightweight lock for it. This lock is worth considering, as it is capable of being fitted very quickly and easily whilst hooked up to the van, making it useful at motorway services. I don't use it on the move of course.

Athough I haven't checked this, I believe that the stabilser/lock combination offers is a significant weight saving over the blade, A frame shoe,car bracket,normal hitchlock set up.

With my T/A, the only dynamic difference seems to be less pitching, giving the rear seat passengers a better ride.
Sorry Magnus - realised I should have addressed this to you!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Best stabiliser wre have had was the Bulldog 200Q blade type, however for ease of use we changed to an Alko 3004 whic is a close 2nd and easier to use.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
A stabiliser shouldn't be used to cure a stability problem. Attention to towing ratio, noseweight, and loading as well as ensuring that car and caravan are in good mechanical condition, should give a stable outfit.

A stabiliser should only be fitted for additional peace of mind.

The differences between hitch type and blade type, as far as lateral stabilising goes, can only really be measured in laboratory conditions. Unlike hitch stabilisers, blade stabilisers increase the dynamic noseweight of the caravan which should improve stability. So for practical purposes they're about equal.

Hitch stabilisers are more convenient, but more expensive.

Cheaper blade stabilisers have thinner blades, which doesn't alter the lateral stability but does reduce the extra downforce on the caravan hitch, making them less suitable for today's heavier caravans.

I still use a genuine Scott-Halley stabiliser from the '70s. I say "original" but I rebuild it every 5 years using new friction disks from Bulldog (they copied the Scott-Halley when the patents expired) and I recently changed the blade for another genuine Scott-Halley I came across, as the original blade had lost it's tension.

If I was buying new now, I'd buy the Bulldog, purely on cost. In reality any new caravan I buy will almost certainly have a hitch stabiliser, eg Al-Ko, I'd have no qualms about just using that.

"You pays your money and makes your choice"

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
30 years ago it was not unknown for Scotts to be copied.

I got a spring from a scrap yard and my engineering friend had it copied before the end of the next working day.

I used it for over a decade

The Alko is more convenient but had I got the rear mounted spare wheel on the car I would want the Winterhoff

Dec 10, 2006
Visit site
When I bought my new van last June, it was already fitted with an Al-ko 3004 hitch. Before taking delivery, I had the dealer replace the Al-ko with the Winterhoff hitch from my trade-in van.

The reason for this was that the removable towball on my car was too close to the rear bumper for the Al-ko not to foul the car when subject to tight turning. Because the Winterhoff pads are front and rear, its profile is tapered, unlike the Al-ko.

To anyone whose car has a removable towball, and is purchasing a van from a dealer, and which has an Al-ko fitted, I would advise that you check this factor PRIOR to purchase and, if necessary, get the dealer to change it. You could make quite a substantial saving.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In reply to Albert's post it is unusual for a detachble towbar not to give the clearance for the Alko stabiliser. One of the selling points for this type of towbar is the fact that it will work with a hitch stabiliser.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Agreed, Richard. It almost sounds as though the wrong detachable towbar was fitted. Sometimes, car manufacturers carry out model year facelifts which include changes to the styling of the bumper and this may possibly affect towball to bumper clearance. This may restrict interchangeability of the towbar old-for-new or new-for-old. Also, there may be small differences between the saloon and hatchback (or estate car) models which also prevent a common towbar to be used for all body styles.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Same as Steve - towing since 1966 and never used one until this year when it came as part of the new van. Get the loading and noseweight right and drive reasonably and you rreally shouldn't need one.

As someone once said, all a stabiliser does is to get you into trouble at a higher speed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Same as Steve - towing since 1966 and never used one until this year when it came as part of the new van. Get the loading and noseweight right and drive reasonably and you rreally shouldn't need one.

As someone once said, all a stabiliser does is to get you into trouble at a higher speed.
Only if you drive faster!!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
That's right. Normal frictional stabilisers only increase the threshold speed at which instability may occur. Once one is over that limit the only chance to recover from a snake is to reduce speed as quickly as possible, even with a stabiliser. Only electronic, and to a lesser extent, viscous stabilisers remain effective at any speed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
30 years ago it was not unknown for Scotts to be copied.

I got a spring from a scrap yard and my engineering friend had it copied before the end of the next working day.

I used it for over a decade

The Alko is more convenient but had I got the rear mounted spare wheel on the car I would want the Winterhoff
Hi John g the winterhoff is better all round because its a one handle operation

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts