Which Van - bunks and proper bathroom?

Dec 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi All. I am after a bit of expert advice as a soon to be caravaner with a young family and were a bit stuck as I am sure a perfect layout is available to us, but perhaps I’m struggling with the time of year to buy so there are fewer options available to me? We have been looking at a large 4 birth, 5 or 6 – pretty open to that side of things. What we really want is bedroom (has to be bunks as they love bunks) where we can shut the kids away (ideally at the back of the van) so we don’t wake them from 7.30pm when they go to bed when we are cooking or playing cards, glass of wine etc. We also really want a proper toilet/shower and not a wet room – ideally a totally separate screened shower. We ideally want something from 2005 onwards (ideally 2007 or 2008+), and have about 8k to spend. Simple you think? Well yes I did until I involved my wife :p . We had 2 main contenders – Abbey Vogue 540 and a Swift Challenger 490. The Abbey has a wet room but seemed lovely apart from that, whilst the Swift has a great end room, but the bunk layout is not ideal and would rather have it more like a fixed bunk like the vogue which we can close off for the kids and not have to fight over who has the double and who has the bunk as well as the top person clambering over the person in the double to go to the toilet. Is there a caravan out there which has a layout like the Abbey but has a proper bathroom/showroom type thing and not a wet room. We would be happy for the rear or front room to be smaller. A van with the bunks in the middle by the kitchen would not suit us as we would wake the kids (they are light sleepers as it is). I could consider a rear ended bathroom IF the bunks were closed off next to it (i.e. we walk through the bunks to get to bathroom). A twin single bed again is not suitable as doesn’t give the kids the fun factor. Complex or are there solutions and I just can’t see them? Thanks in advance if anyone has any good ideas!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Michael. Welcome to the forum. If you go on the Caravanfinder website you can search by layout so you can see what models fit your brief. Just remember that when choosing a layout there is always a compromise because what you gain on the roundabouts you lose on the swings. Hence a bigger bathroom means less living/play space. You just have to decide which compromises work best. You don't say the age of the children but bear in mind they can grow out of bunks really quickly so if they are anywhere near aged 10 take them with you and get them to lie in bunks before you buy. Rear single beds and a rear washroom may be a better bet if they are older.
Happy hunting. Remember condition is more important than age (as applies to us all) and if there is any sign of damp walk away.
Mel

Dec 12, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Mel. I have been on that site for what feels like a week now but the only vans it comes up with are what is for sale. I am hoping my criteria rings some bells with someone out there :cheer:

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm with Mel, our three girls grew out of the bunks quickly. It's not necessarily the size of mattress but access and ability to sit up that are the two main issues we encountered. As far as the bathroom goes, we thought we would miss our end washroom but we haven't. Because we now have a wet room and toilet with the washbasin in the bedroom two people can perform the necessary at once. With five on board it's much easier. We had no problems sleeping wise with central fixed bunks and side dinette with the end washroom(twin axle Coachman). Equally no sleep issues with side dinette, end bunks and side washroom(single axle Coachman). Now that we all go to bed at much the same time on holiday our layout of fixed french bed, side dinette and two front singles works really well.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
we have an Adria, Alta 552 Tamar 7 berth with 3 fixed bunks and a separate shower and toilet in the bathroom with a fold down sink.
There are three bunks but there is a two bunk version making six berths. As has been said, with limited space you have to give and take a bit. There are a couple of lay outs available in the Tamar as well, one with a central wetroom and one with the bathroom set to the rear on the near side (the version we have.) Pros and cons to each one to be honest, I preferred the central wetroom but Mrs Spoon decided differently.
The bunks however are longitudinal as opposed to transverse meaning they are longer than the transverse bunks and will do our children who are both quite tall until they are much older. Vans with transverse bunks are limited and a friend who had one with that lay out had to change his in. Anyway, the Adrias seem to be reasonably priced even if they aren’t as fashionable as the other makes. Family caravans with bunks tend to be less luxuriant in their build because they are built for families and not couples. We love it.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have three girls who are now grown up so no longer a problem. We always used bunks at the back with a central washroom of the wetroom style and never found it a problem. With five of you on board I doubt you will all want to shower in it as the need to get water, heat it and empty it is just too much even on a serviced pitch so it ends up basically a toilet and washroom. There are one or two models that have a full sized mid toilet and shower but you do end up with a longer heavier caravan but if that suits you then it is a question of checking the adverts until one crops up. They are available from several makers but are fairly small in numbers produced.
I would not go for a rear toilet compartment although they tend to be bigger as it means potentially waking the children when you need the toilet or even just brushing your teeth at night. Do also check the headroom in the bunks to make sure this is adequate.

TRENDING THREADS