Which wheelclamp

May 14, 2006
Visit site
Can anybody recommend a good quality wheel clamp? As a newcomer to caravanning i am trying to gather all the essential equipment that i will need. However i have read so many different articles about wheel clamps and how easy even some of the more expensive ones can be to remove if a thief is determined. The latest model i have been looking at is the SAS Clamp. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm afraid all security devices are realy only a deterant to the opportunist thief.

I personally favor Bulldog security products for strength of manufacture.

You can make life more difficult for the thief by using different types of wheel clamp and clamping more than one wheel.

Simple things like drilling a 6.5mm hole through the side of the hexagon of the steady drive shaft and snapping paddlock through will delay the thief. Do that times four steadies and now you have quadrupled steal time.

My van is stored at home and I put the wheel clamps on, then park our alarmed car tight to the side of the van. This makes it very difficult to get to the clamps.

Then with a hitch lock and a security post concreted in the ground, I've managed to have 24 years of caravanning un-interupted.

The top tip is to think like a thief and look at how long it would take to remove a locking device and how noisey. But do bear in mind that these days they come equiped with Oxy-Acetylene torches, "jaws of life" air powered croppers and of coarse the drop box for the hitch as so thoughtlessly advertised in a PC mag theft prevention cover story.

The more awkward and time consuming you make it for the theif, the more likely he/she is to buzz off to easier pickings. Sure it's a cruel world to think like that, but I'm afraid you do have to look after number one as the coppers won't.

Steve.

Sep 20, 2006
Visit site
I have the al-ko wheel lock and got 20% of my insurance through c&cc straight forward to use and not to big

Nothing and nobody is safe nowadays but don't spend all your time worrying

life is to short

Merry Christmas one and all

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Lee,

I agree with Steve in Leo, what ever you use it's only a deterant, but the harder & noiser it is to remove the better.

Nothing but nothing will stop a really determined thief who wants what you've got, and you'd be surprised at ho brazen some of them are.

All I will say is buy the best quality deterants you can afford & make sure that they're reasonably easy for you to fit & secure.

Previous caravan I used a SAS wheel clamp, (Plus alarm & hitch lock) a doddle to fit & remove, I suspect it would have been relatively easy for a suitably equipted & determined thief to remove, latest caravan comes with an Al-Ko wheel clamp (lock?) well made & I suspect very dificult for a thief to remove, but OH, WHAT A PAIN IN THE ARSE TO FIT!!!!!!!!

GeorgeB

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
I have one of these
product.asp
seems very good but (touch wood) not been tested by them little ruggers who nick vans yet.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
I have one of these http://www.towsure.com/product.asp?p=13026 seems very good but (touch wood) not been tested by them little ruggers who nick vans yet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts