Who brings a cat away with them when caravanning?

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
This is not a wind up I promise, during the summer I saw a cat sat in the caravan next to us I thought cats were only home bound and normally stay at bording kennels, but this was just peculiar has anyone else witnessed it?

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes. My late parents were well known on a number of sites for many a year as they always caravanned with their two cats. Black and and Ginger moggies, they travelled harnessed in the car normally perched on the rear seat back and parcel shelf having a good look at what they passed or were passing and getting the attention of many people, They walked on on leads on site
We've seen a variety of caravanning cats, regular moggies and some more exotic types including Maine Coons in France and a couple of valuable Persian pedigree cats with a St Bernard in Switzerland and a valuable Bengal cat in the Dordogne.
The very large Maine Coons also went walking harnessed on leads around the site and badly scared a few dogs
smiley-smile.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have spoken to two caravanners who had cats. One always used a lead on site and both used travel cage for the car, but the other said their cat had always been a 'person cat' and seemed to attach to people rather than places. It was never on a lead at the site, and it could come and go as it pleased, but it tended to stay in or near the the awning during the day and went inside at night. When the owners went out for the day, they locked the cat inside the caravan. I asked them about really hot weather, when they siad they used the travel cage and made sure it was in the shade and under cover either in the awning or near by.

As a slightly different angle on the subject, it was quite common to see working barges on the canals with cats.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
AbbeyOwner said:
This is not a wind up I promise, during the summer I saw a cat sat in the caravan next to us I thought cats were only home bound and normally stay at bording kennels, but this was just peculiar has anyone else witnessed it?

It was probbaly us as our cat went everywhere with us. She was allowed to roam freely, but she stayed close to the caravan occasionally going for a walk with the dogs.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our cat came with us caravanning in UK for many years - no longer with us, unfortunately. She walked on a lead on site, travelled in her bed box ( a carrier designed for a medium size dog, so she had plenty of room) put on the rear seat with the opening facing forwards so she could see we were still there. Same bedbox was used in the caravan - in the washroom. Put a false floor in the shower compartment which helf both food bowl and litter tray.
She eally enjoyed the van and would often be found asleep in it at home. Only downside was the hair - she was a female ginger cat with some Persion blood and left a fringe of fine ginger hairs wherever she rubbed.
The big snag was Continental touring. She was too old to be chipped (according to the vet) so had to go to the cattery. Cattery fees often cost us more than the campsite fees. She was also very useful as the 'third party' to blame for things which went wrong and as the (nominal) arbitrator for some difficult decisions.
Still travels with us but only as a photograph.

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Surfer said:
AbbeyOwner said:

It was probbaly us as our cat went everywhere with us. She was allowed to roam freely, but she stayed close to the caravan occasionally going for a walk with the dogs.
Might have been the campsite was at flagg.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
AbbeyOwner said:
Surfer said:
AbbeyOwner said:

Might have been the campsite was at flagg.

Not us then!
smiley-laughing.gif

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Several years ago when we were at Top Lodge a caravan parked up next to us. A few minutes later they let a cat out of the car whereupon it did no more than run across to a tall tree just across the roadway and climbed up to about twenty feet. This was on a Friday. On Sunday the cat was still up the tree despite its owners trying to coax it down with food. It ended up with a Forestry Commision guy attending with a long ladder. Unfortunately we were just leaving when he arrived so, disappointingly, we didn't see the outcome. It might still be up there !

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
On sites in France we've met both British and French people with cats with them - and most of them have roamed freely around the site, without any problems. Apparently the British cats love caravanning and have been 'all over the place' and just make the caravan their home, wandering around the pitch and then extending their range around the site, without problems.
One of our cats used to come on dog walks, off up to about a mile and a half, without problems.
Next year we may spend more time in France, and if we do, then we may need to take our cat with us.

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
We were in Troutbeck caravan culb site and opposite us was a van with a very large new awning, next to them was a van with a cat, the cat didnt go very far, in fact all it did was come out of their van, and spray up the side of this awning, and do its other business under the same van, I am glad we had the dogs, which we left on a short leads out side our van, they dont bark or chase cats so we didnt have a problem, glad it wasnt my awning.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
The first ever weekend we went caravanning in our van was in March this year and we saw two lovely cats outside of their owners caravan in a huge travelling cage. They seemed to take no notice of passer bys, dogs etc. and later on in the weekend we saw them led on the front seat in the caravan dozing in the sun.
I thought this was lovely - we have a cat who is a real psycho so we couldn't possibly take her away with us as she has gone missing from home over 20 times (she's a wanderer) and she would obliterate any animal or small child who dared come anywhere near her in her 'cage' - her claws put Freddie Kruger to shame. Also I just couldn't stand the hairs ... she's mainly white with some grey patches and her fur is found everywhere in our house, it clings to black clothing!!!!!!!! I wouldn't enjoy my holidays knowing that she could go missing at a minute's notice so we leave her at home where fortunately I have a group of very good friends/neighbours who will feed her for us whilst we are away and shut her in at night to keep her safe.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
28032008393_zps3eda8b08.jpg

16102010646_zpsafe53209.jpg

Hi to you all out there. Yes,we have had our cat Charlie with us a few times,indeed the last time I recall was at The CC site at Cae Mawr,Anglesey. We have yet to introduce the other two into the caravanning thing. They travel in a large travel cage (full width of Volvo V70) with a double access front opening and a double access top opening. They go complete with litter trays,dry food and a shallow amount of water in a 50mm deep flat bottomed bowl. When we moved from UpHolland,Lancashire to Ellington,Northumberland the only thing that I did on that occasion was that I used Feliway Spray,absolutely wonderful and totally stress free after a rather hectic 6hrs of them being restricted during the packing of the removals van and two cars and an 8x4x4 trailer.

Have Cat Will Travel.
Charlie was the scrawniest and most pathetic looking rescue cat in the shelter some 7+yrs ago,but he had the sweetest face.
He has grown into the most beautiful Long-haired Tabby & White cat that you could never have imagined,indeed he is far to pretty to be a boy!!! but he has been adjusted.
We decided to offer him a home along with our much older variegated Tortoiseshell Female.

Please note,the attached images are by courtesy of how to post images directions/guidance from Parksy and others on the forum.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Beautiful cats TR, we used to leave ours at home with my Number 3 son who would stay here to look after the cat and the house when we were away in the caravan.
Unfortunately for us he's decided to get a dog, so his cat sitting days are over and it's beginning to look as if we'll have to start taking our cat away with us in the new year.
On Photobucket click the Direct Link (2nd one down) to copy it and then paste it into the top box of the image inserter (the square box with the tree icon from the top of the forum reply box)
Ignore the other boxes except the size where you can enter 600 X 400
Click 'Insert' and your photo will appear on the forum page.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
09052007070-1.jpg

Hi Parksy. I thought that was what I had done,but obviously not. Indeed when I tried earlier with the other two images of Charlie they actually appeared on my reply page prior to posting as a text reference. This one is as you suggested in your post but I have not influenced the size.
This is one of him in his full groomed Summer Posers Jacket.
We had plenty of birds into our garden despite, having at that time,four cats. It was funny watching the antics of them high into the trees and then looking at the quizzical look on their faces as the birds took flight away from their stealthy approaches.

PS. This has gone in as a huge and slightly fuzzy image.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Our cat belonged to a neighbour who moved house, she was an outdoors cat when she was younger and before she adopted us but after a few years of pampering by Herself the cat is happy to spend most of her time indoors now and presents no threat to birds.
I resized your picture by subtracting 200 off each dimension TR

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi Paksy. Thank you he now looks less like I have been on the hooch. It will take a while but I will eventually catch up with the use of Photobucket. I must admit,I have always been a bit put off by image hosting sites,reading their T&C's is like reading through a revised copy of the 5th ammendment and re-presented in Gobbledy ****.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Aw Charlie is a magnificent looking cat ... as you say, far too pretty to be a boy! I have a wonderful pic of our cat Misty as a kitten. I opened our washing machine and there she was sat up as if to say, "at last, someone to let me out!". It looks as if she is smiling in it. I also have a fab one of her balancing on top of our bedroom door with very lamp-like eyes (spooky). She is not what I would call a 'normal' cat but we love her to bits.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
TheTravellingRooster said:
Hi Paksy. Thank you he now looks less like I have been on the hooch. It will take a while but I will eventually catch up with the use of Photobucket............
You don't need to resize your pictures on Photobucket TR, it's much easier to enter the size on the forum picture insert box:
Caravanaccesories111_zpsb35fd71d.jpg
Caravanaccesories111_zpsb35fd71d.jpg

Just enter 600 and 400 into the Dimensions boxes, click Insert and your picture will be resized, you can make your pictures any size, the smaller image is 200x200

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts