Why am i struugling to sell my caravan?

Oct 18, 2006
Visit site
I put my caravan up for sale a few weeks back now, it's on a dealers forecourt in Fife, it's had 2 complete weekend and 2 full weeks on display but i have had no luck and it's also on the dealers website with photo's, i have also got a classified advert on ebay and an advert on www.sellingacaravan.co.uk, but so far it has been quiet. I know caravans are selling because since i dropped mine into the dealer a lot of caravans on the dealers website have sold, however they are the expensive ones (well what i could class as expensive) over £7k, mine is up for under £6k and i went by the glass's guide. I don't know whether it's because finance is cheaper for the more you borrow. Because mine is a private sale at a dealer the dealer cannot offer finance but even then if you shop around you can sometimes get good dealers without going to the likes of blackhorse finance.It is just getting frustrating. The only other possibly reason is that people are going for fixed rear bed and mine is the slats at the front. Can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andrew, the simple answer is we are in an economic downturn, almost bordering on recession.

People are struggling to pay mortgages, extra fuel increases in domestic as well as motor fuel.

It is bound to have an effect on sales, especially second hand sales.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Have you tried putting an ad on the Practical Caravan's own 'For Sale' on-line page?

A Bailey near us isn't selling, despite being an absolute bargain. As Damian says, people are keeping tight hold of their money to pay future rising bills.

Oct 18, 2006
Visit site
the dealer in fife where mine is located have sold a alot of stock in the past fortnight and it's not been the cheaper end of the market that is selling, they are selling the expensive vans. I have sold up myslef because it was getting too expensive for towing infact it was the cost of fuel which forced me to give up my car which was my pride & joy(peugeot 406), how do i advertise on the magazines online site?

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
the dealer in fife where mine is located have sold a alot of stock in the past fortnight and it's not been the cheaper end of the market that is selling, they are selling the expensive vans. I have sold up myslef because it was getting too expensive for towing infact it was the cost of fuel which forced me to give up my car which was my pride & joy(peugeot 406), how do i advertise on the magazines online site?
Andrew I know of one or two postings on this forum for selling caravans we www.caravanfinder.co.uk and sold quite quickly but the choice is yours.

Regards Sir Roger

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
You used to go the 'Home Page' - then Buying Used - then 'Selling Used Caravan' - and create your own advert, but this morning the service states 'unavailable' so I'm not sure how long this has not been working.

Good luck in selling your van.

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Andrew,

Is your caravan a 2 bert? (reading another thread, it looks as if it is) Although not in the market for a new 'van, I have been keeping an eye on what is about at the cheaper end and it seems that an awful lot of them are 2 berths. Many people (even if there are only 2 of them) want 4 berths for the space and to avoid making up the bed every night. There are also a lot more families out there looking for 'vans. It's becoming trendy to holiday in the UK again.

Jan 23, 2007
Visit site
I sold my Bailey in three weeks,however it was a fixed rear bed model,and I certainly won't go back to slats.

I advertised mine on www.c4caravans.com and on the Caravan Clubs Online Trader.The caravan club site was a waste of time:relatively few viewings and one complete timewaster.I got dozens of viewings on the c4caravans sites,and two good responses including the nice lady who bought my caravan.

I was careful to advertise mine close to the guide price,which my dealer assured me was

Oct 18, 2006
Visit site
I sold my Bailey in three weeks,however it was a fixed rear bed model,and I certainly won't go back to slats.

I advertised mine on www.c4caravans.com and on the Caravan Clubs Online Trader.The caravan club site was a waste of time:relatively few viewings and one complete timewaster.I got dozens of viewings on the c4caravans sites,and two good responses including the nice lady who bought my caravan.

I was careful to advertise mine close to the guide price,which my dealer assured me was

Jan 23, 2007
Visit site
thanks for that frank i have been onto that website and i have put the caravan onto it, do you know how long it takes for the advert to go live.
Advert went live in 24 hrs.Beware emails from traders posing as private individuals,who offer far below the going rate but are prepared to travel down to you immediately with cash.Hold your nerve and try to achieve a reasonable value,while recognising that everyone is out to achieve a result for themselves.A useful ploy is to ask just a little above book value and then give prospective buyers this amount off as an incentive for a quick decision.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Hello Andrew.

There may be one reason why more expensive caravans are selling before yours. It may be down to being able to get finance on a more expensive van, which is usually preferable to buying one 'cash in hand'.

As with cars, you will get some that the finace companies won't look at, maybe being a bit too old, yet the same article maybe slightly too expensive for people to buy outright.

Obviously a finance company will be interested in funding an item, which is worthy of re-selling if the customer fails to pay. This may be part of your answer

Oct 18, 2006
Visit site
No matter how good a warranty sounds, you do have to be carefull as warranty care can be very selective as too what it covers, like with cars i have bought warranties in the past and they have been a waist of time they parts which pack in are not covered

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
The answer is the same as for anything else that does not sell - the asking price is too high. Something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay, no matter how much you or anyone else who is not actually trying to buy it thinks its worth. Ask any more than that and it will not sell. Simple really...

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Have you talked to the dealer about why he thinks it isn't selling? It might be very useful to know what sort of comments he's getting when he shows people around, or if he can offer any pointers as to what you could do to make it more saleable (such as find out information about bank loans/other finance options). Put some 'information leaflets' together about the van - with photos, so people can take them away, and think about it elsewhere but on the dealer's forecourt - and include your finance information in these. Point out any extras you might be throwing in with the package, and how much these would cost to buy new, make sure the van is as clean and well presented as possible (think how these shows about selling houses make very small changes to make a house sell) - even a brand new pair of matching cushions on the settees can make a difference.

I know when we sold ours privately (to the first person to look at it) they commented that it looked, and smelled, like a brand new van. I'd spent ages cleaning it, especially the hob, sink and bathroom, and even shampooed the removeable carpets. We put an information pack together, also featuring one or two similar vans on sale at dealerships, and comparing the price of ours. It was actually this which clinched the deal in the end, as the couple had actually seen one of these other vans, and had compared the value offered with ours, against the one at the dealership - and decided that the no warranty, cleaner, and cheaper van was the one to go for.

Jul 31, 2008
Visit site
I can give you a definitive answer to your question: the caravan isn't selling because the price is too high and/or the part ex offered is too low.

That sounds opinionated but as ex caravan salesman and an ex estate agent (oh dear) I can tell you ANYTHING that is sound will sell at the right price.

Never ever ever give your van to a dealer to sell on behalf. He will ALWAYS push his own stock in which he has his own money tied up before yours. Also the part ex he offers will be way lower on yours than one of his vans for the same reason.

Happily there is a perfect market place for caravans. It is called eBay. Gets more potential buyers looking than all the othetrs put together, but you will only sell if you are CHEAPER than elsewhere. You can't offer warranty finance or most importantly part ex so the only reaon they will buy off you is PRICE.

I sold a one year old Coachhman Pastiche on eBay a year ago. Price of a new one 15K. Real selling price of a new one after discount

Oct 18, 2006
Visit site
the dealership where it is being sold are also selling customer caravans for a few other customers, but i am on friendly terms with the company as i have bought a few different models from them in the past. there have been a few viewings and some people are keen on it but it's just getting someone to part with there cash is the thing especially with the credit crunch, i may look at reducing the price is there is no movement in the next week. they seem to be selling a lot of there more expensive stock, but i am going by the glass's guide to value it because i know the owners i got to look at the book price.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Henry mentions eBay...a lot of people don't realise that EBay has a Classified Ad section which for a fixed fee reaches just as many potential buyers but does not involve the usual bidding lottery. It's very effective for items such as cars and caravans which need prior inspection - bit like a local paper, but nationwide! I sold mine this way and had loads of inquiries, selling to the first person who contacted me. Of course, as everyone else says, the price has to be right in the first place.

Oct 18, 2006
Visit site
Henry mentions eBay...a lot of people don't realise that EBay has a Classified Ad section which for a fixed fee reaches just as many potential buyers but does not involve the usual bidding lottery. It's very effective for items such as cars and caravans which need prior inspection - bit like a local paper, but nationwide! I sold mine this way and had loads of inquiries, selling to the first person who contacted me. Of course, as everyone else says, the price has to be right in the first place.
I have actually got it on ebay under the classified section, i have now actually reduced the price which might help it too sell, but then again much how much do you reduce the price.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Andrew,

I sympathise with your question, but the answer has may seem a little harsh.

Try putting your self in the potential buyers position, think like a buyer, and perhaps you may find something you have done or failed to do that might be hindering the sale.

Fundamentally most purchasers will know what make and models they will be interested in than they will be looking for condition, price, and location.

Dealers prices are usually higher than private sales, but sometimes the opportunity to PX a caravan or have some kind of guarantee may be attractive to some buyers.

The current economic conditions and the prospect of a longer downturn in fortunes, will also have an impact on people and what they may choose to purchase.

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
if you would like to send me the details I will put you an advert on my site free of charge. Like people are saying credit is hard to come by at the moment so you are looking for someone who has the money. Another aspect is can you arange a credit deal for the buyer then just add credit aranged to your advert .

Good luck with it

Oct 18, 2006
Visit site
I am very annoyed, i got a call on Wednesday from someone who was wanting to buy it they were going to come down from Skye yesterday on route to an event in fife, but they never phoned or came, i tried to call them but got no response, how rude can people be why make arrangements to view and not bother to come or even phone to say they were not coming.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts