Why are Avtex TVs so expensive?

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
When I started this thread I could not justify nor afford the expense of the premium Avtex TV; which was roughly the same price I paid for a 32" LED Samsung some 6 years earlier. 2 years later I do not regret that decision and would recommend Cello to anyone who wants an inexpensive TV with 12v power for occasional use.

So for the curious here is an update on my experience. For obvious reasons the Ferguson/Cello TV has not had much (read any) use this year, but 2019 was quite a good year for touring nights. We use the TV on the stand, not wall mounted due to having no suitable mounting position. So it sits on a ledge where the TV points are [by the habitation door] so from the front lounge, it is at the perfect viewing height.

Screen quality and sound are perfectly adequate for the caravan: HD channels look good, SD channels look "ok" and sound is loud enough without resonating outside the caravan. The limited PVR (recording) functions were rarely used as it appears to only be able to record the channel you are watching. Pausing works ok, but my expectations were tempered when comparing to a dedicated device. Overall very happy with it. I have even used it as a second monitor for my laptop when I 'worked from home' in the caravan.

Issues:
1) The remote control issue was fixed by a replacement handset.
2) The viewing angle: Fine if you are sitting down with TV at eye-level, but the picture cannot be seen if you standing (for example when cooking) over the screen.
3) DVD Player: We had a stay at a Caravan Club site which had zero phone and TV reception, we did not have a cable to connect to the TV point on the bollard, so watched DVDs we took with us. The player refused to play some disks and would only play half (stalled at layer-change) of others. Once again Cello customer services fixed this very quickly: they sent a courier to collect the TV and replaced the DVD unit, which fixed the problem.

With the TV now out of warranty should it break again, I may eat my words and have to fall back on "Buy cheap, buy twice" but we travel with the TV in the car wrapped in a custom made protective sleeve [thick bubble wrap and Gorilla Tape!] placed behind the drivers seat, so we look after it as much as possible and hope it lasts.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Given most of the major manufacturers are straying away from little tv's and as you say you don't need amazing res from a 21" tv we'll be buying Cello next-and the 12v useage will be a bonus-we won't want the dvd player as we carry a blu ray player so it'll be cheaper. And we'll be supporting a uk -Northe East, company-win win. Sounds like customer service is superb-we had a panasonic dvd player that packed up 1 year and 1 month in and they weren't interested at all!

And don't forget compared to Avtex prices you can have 3 cellos for 1 avtex!!!!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
In our case the TV is rigidly mounted, on a pillar to be turned to the bedroom or lounge as needed, so that harsh mounting might account why the [claimed] ruggedness of the Avtex has paid off.
The original fit Vision Plus TV faied in days of buying the van and was replaced under warranty, only for its replacement to fail just out of warranty.
So far the Avtex has outlasted both the Vision Plus TVs, fingers crossed that continues as it is now out of its 5 year JL warranty.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To answer the headline, Avatex TV's are expensive (compared to most domestic TV's of the same size) because enough people are prepared to pay more for them, in the belief they are more suited to being used in caravans.

From a manufacturing point of view, they will be more expensive to produce than most sets, becasue they are produced in smaller numbers, and the cost benefits of quantity cannot be gained.

There is also the possibility that a smaller company might not be able to afford to fully develop a technical product to be as reliable as mass producer, but by contrast they might be in a better position to design for a niche market. Swings and roundabouts.

Given most of the major manufacturers are straying away from little tv's .....!

It's almost certain the mass market manufacturers are responding to the buying trends of the public. This has been driven by capability to produce larger screens, which the public seem to have flocked to, (and I'm one of them!). The first television I remember watching was a monochrome 12" 4:3 ratio which gave a viewing area of about 9" x 7".

There are guidelines for distance to TV based on the size of the TV. Bearing in mind the confines of a caravan, going beyond 21" is a little pointless, and also the bigger the TV (of the same technology) the more power it will use.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
To answer the headline, Avatex TV's are expensive (compared to most domestic TV's of the same size) because enough people are prepared to pay more for them, in the belief they are more suited to being used in caravans.

From a manufacturing point of view, they will be more expensive to produce than most sets, becasue they are produced in smaller numbers, and the cost benefits of quantity cannot be gained.

There is also the possibility that a smaller company might not be able to afford to fully develop a technical product to be as reliable as mass producer, but by contrast they might be in a better position to design for a niche market. Swings and roundabouts.

It's almost certain the mass market manufacturers are responding to the buying trends of the public. This has been driven by capability to produce larger screens, which the public seem to have flocked to, (and I'm one of them!). The first television I remember watching was a monochrome 12" 4:3 ratio which gave a viewing area of about 9" x 7".

There are guidelines for distance to TV based on the size of the TV. Bearing in mind the confines of a caravan, going beyond 21" is a little pointless, and also the bigger the TV (of the same technology) the more power it will use.

Our first TV was a Vidor used by us and the street to watch the Coronation. I think both of our cars have larger info screens than did the Vidor, and it was a brute of a thing size wise sitting there in the front room. but at least when it failed Dad could take the back off and look at" things called valves" made by Mullard which lit up when working or did not light up when failed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What about using a laptop with a tuner attachment ? Screen size could be 15 or 17inch - sound may be a bit poor but a small bluetooth speaker would fix that.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site

Quite.

On an evening walk around the caravan site, I will often see a van lit-up by a humongous TV. From about 30' away I can clearly see them watching Eastenders or whatever.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have the Avtex 21" and you cannot beat Avtex for service. The Tv went faulty after 18 months and they simply replaced it with another. No issue with viewing angle but more importantly I am sure that the screen has an anti glare on it so no issue viewing it on a bright day. the other TV in the caravan is a Technika from Tesco and the viewing angle is terrible.

However we are going to try moving the Avtex to the bedroom and try a 32" LG Smart HD TV on the chest of drawers in the front of the caravan to see if there is any effect on the picture during the day. Of course we will need to wait until the lockdown is lifted.

Before any one asks why we are watching TV during the day sometimes we do pop into the caravan at lunch time and as OH suffers from Tinnitus the sound from the TV helps cover the noise she hears. :D

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Buckman,

I sympathise with your wife and her tinitus.

But importantly how you decide to spend your time on holiday is entirely up to you , and no one should get involved with that, unless what you are doing is illegal or causing a nuisance, and i'm sure neither of those would apply.

Each to their own ;)

Reactions: Beachball

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts