Why does our alarm keep going off???

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Help! Why does our alarm keep going off on our 2010 Swift Challenger 570? Changed it from all alarm to just motion sensor and it went off for apparently no reason at 9.40 pm last night. It wasn't windy and our cat, who has been known to leap onto the roof, was fast asleep in her basket! We have noticed lately that it does go off for no reason, should we get it looked at or is there a battery that needs replacing. All new to us, so any advice gratefully received. Thanks. Lisa and John.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi, I don't know if this is of help as I have no idea which system you are using but if it is a stand alone unit it may be worth changing the battery, also somewhere on the unit there should be a sensitiivity control you could try turning this down a tad so it only sees large objects like people then the cat would not set it off. last summer my car alarm would go off for no reason everthing seemed fine and just as it got dark the thing would go off again turned out to be a moth that was in the car once the system was turned down a bit it was ok.

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi Soldlisa
If your alarm is a Nordelectric one, contact your dealer and get him to change it under waranty for a sargent stinger. there is a known issue with Nordelectric and they have gone out of business anyway.. before our present van we had the 2010 Challenger 570 and had exacaltey the same issue. and swift changed our alarm with no fuss or bother.
If it is a Sargent Stinger alarm contact Ian or Clive at sargent customer services on 01482 881655
there customer service is second to non

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
If it is any comfort to you I have a sterling elite searcher 2010 model and yes we had the same problem this was put right by the dealer Nord alarm gone Stinger now in place Do speak to to Sargent they are the most helpul guys you will come across. Here is a tip for you when you reset your alarm after it has gone off count how many bleeps you get when you come to reset you should I think have two beeps my guess is you will get three its the tilt sensor in the nordel gone .I hope this helps you
Sir Roger

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
I have known an alarm to be triggered by someone nearby using a motor mover remote control - though at 9.40 that seems unlikely. Maybe a car locking remote control might be to blame ?

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi - it's definitely the Nord alarm and it hasn't been right since we took delivery at end of Jan so I think we'll be calling the dealer today to request that when they fit the mover, they change the alarm as we live in a pretty built up residential area and don't fancy annoying the neighbours constantly and OH doesn't fancy running outside late at night to disable alarm! Will keep you posted. LIsa.

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
We were parked on a site near another Bailey and when we returned at the end of the first day the owner told us that our alarm had gone off a short while after we had driven away. It went off for a few minutes and then stopped. It happened twice. We rang Tracker and they said it was because the two Bailey systems were "talking" to each other. Strange but true. Not sure if it has happened since on a site as no-one has mentioned it. When we first moved to our house it turned out that every time my husband used the motor mover it rang the doorbell of the house opposite. The man kept coming out because he thought someone was playing "knock down ginger". He eventually came and asked my husband if he was using a remote. He adjusted the frequency of his doorbell and all has been quiet since.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Update: OH currently as I type picking up van from dealer who has re-set the alarm and suggested that we ensure that the van is as level as possible as the alarm has tilt sensor and gust of wind may set it off. (It was as level as you can get it) Or "just turn it off" which I am not happy to do for obvious reasons. Can't have new other alarm fitted (i.e. Sargent) until this one proved faulty and unrepairable. Oh well, let's hope it doesn't go off at 2am for ours and the neighbours sake else I will be pushing for replacement alarm!

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
hi lisa
have challenger 530 2009 had same problems with nord alarm
changed by dealer under warrenty at first service
now got sargent had no problems since
george

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks George - am keeping an eye on it (or ear!) as the van was just over a year old when we bought and our warranty with the dealer is only valid for a year so don't want to be fobbed off until warranty expires and then have to fork out for new alarm - it was put on last night and as of now it hasn't gone off although I am at work as is OH so the neighbours will be getting an earful if it is screeching merrily away!

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Lisa Dont be fobbed off over your alarm the problem you have is probably the reason Nord are no longer trading sadly there is no repair for that alarm.I contacted Swifts over mine and they would not do anything about it until dealer had confirmed it was going off of its own accord Our van sat with dealer for 3 days on flat ground dealer was just about to ring me to say collect you van alarm is working ok ,phone in hand and alarm went off for no reason.
It would seem even if the caravan is slightly on the tilt . the sensor should compensate for that.

Any way good luck and I hope all goes well for you
Sir Roger

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks - won't be fobbed off and it's already gone off 3 times since it was 'repaired' on Weds!!!!!!!! Watch this space.
smiley-yell.gif

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi Lisa
I think your dealer is being to be a bit of an idiot... Sorry!! but to tell you to keep the caravan level or just turn the alarm off is nuts. Check your insurance as most companys insist on an alarm being active as part of the policy... I would then ask your dealer, if, because of their inactions, they are prepared to underwrite your insurance policy, as because of faulty equipment you are unable to fully comply with the terms of your insurance policy.
I would be going back to your dealer and insisting on a replacement.. why don't you register on Swift talk and look at all the issues they have had with the Nord system, it seems common practice to swap them out with no fuss...You could also drop Andy Spacey (Swift Director and Moderator of Swift Talk) an e-mail and ask him to intervene.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi TonyG - my sentiments exactly, what I've been telling my Husband as he keeps turning off alarm, that insurance will be invalid! His argument, you get up at 2am and turn off - OK I will as it's a better option that not being able to claim £18k for replacement caravan! Good point and I will be going back to them after week away next week (keeping log of it going off). I am registered on Swift Talk and will be printing off posts and taking them with me to dealer, any problems will then contact Andy Spacey at Swift. I only spoke to engineer who fitted mover at dealers, who said that, not the two lovely men at dealers who we've always dealt with and have been absolutely first class but they were away at shows, so will give them benefit of doubt and talk to them in person on our return, but I am not happy at being fobbed off with an alarm that has a life of its own!!! Thanks - Lisa. (I even blamed our poor cat at one point!).

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Latest update - just had a call from my next door neighbour to inform me caravan alarm going off yet again!!! One phone call to fed up Husband who now has to cycle all the way back home from work to disable alarm. Called the dealer who we bought the caravan from and we have been told to contact Swift direct, ask them to transfer the Swift warranty over to us (will need our Cris number which is at home so can't do at this moment in time). Once warranty transferred we can then arrange to replace the alarm through nearest Swift dealer which luckily is only a few miles away from us. Seems to me that we are being told to do all the work ourselves - is this the norm? Does anyone else on this forum have experience of this? Thoughts please. Lisa. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
smiley-yell.gif
not happy at all.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Lisa
From what I gather your caravan was a used pre 2012 model bought from a caravan dealer who has supplied a 12 month parts warranty with the caravan.
I don't want to worry you but the Swift warranty terms & conditions states amongst other things that the warranty should have been transferred as soon as was practical after you bought the caravan, Click Here to see the T&C's
Your supplying dealer ought to have seen to this when they sold the caravan if they advertised the caravan as being under warranty from Swift.
I hope that the Swift warranty transfer goes through ok, but the contract of sale only exists between yourselves and the supplying dealer so they are responsible for honouring the terms of any warranty that they have offered to you.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Oh no Parksy ... at no point were we advised to transfer the Swift warranty over to ourselves. It's only from reading on here and the Swift Caravan owners forum that this has come to my attention. Am I right then in thinking that Swift could quite easily refuse to transfer the warranty over to us ... where would that leave us with regard to getting the alarm replaced????
smiley-frown.gif
Lisa.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The transfer of the warranty would depend on the Terms and Conditions having been met Lisa.
The Super Sure parts warranty lasts for 3 years from the date when the caravan was first sold and the Body Shell warranty for six years. This would depend on the caravan having only one previous owner and the annual service having been carried out by a Swift Group Approved Service Centre within the specified time frames.
If these conditions have been met, and you have proof that this is so, then you should be able to transfer the warranty, but it seems to me as though your supplying dealer is hoping that you can transfer the warranty so that they don't have to meet the cost of a replacement alarm because they have provided a warranty to you.
Andy or Ash from Swift Talk Forum will be happy to advise you on the warranty transfer and how to go about obtaining a replacement alarm, they are Swift employees and they will give you the correct information.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
As far as we were made aware, only one previous owner. Caravan serviced before it was delivered to us on 26th Jan (although not stamped in book). Can't access my hotmail account on school server as it's filtered so can't get to Swift Talk until later on tonight. Thanks for all your help. Hopefully we will get this resolved (am not one to give up easily lol). Thanks again. Lisa.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Whatever happens Lisa the supplying dealer has provided a warranty and you also have statutory rights under the sale of goods act so it's up to the dealer who sold the caravan to arrange to have your alarm replaced.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
soldlisa04 said:
Can't access my hotmail account on school server as it's filtered so can't get to Swift Talk until later on tonight. .
It's just occured to me that you may not have realised that the blue text in my earlier post is a url link to the Swift Talk forum.
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts