Why is it?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We go away on a long holiday in two weeks time and now the lounge suite has given up the ghost on us as now have a big split on one of the chairs. As it is now over 12 years old and sagging in places, we were thinking of retiring it after our holiday, but it seems that it has decided to hurry us along.

We could live with ti until after the holidays, but we have guests from SA visiting us shortly after our return. Looks like we will be spending today and the next few days running around furniture shops to decide a replacement and of course checking reviews on those shops as some have some real horror stories.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We use a store called Leekes who have a small number of branches in England and Wales. When we moved into this house we bought a Lazy Boy recliner for my wife, and a large Ercol settee. Having matching items didn’t matter as I’ve got a custom made recliner, but all had to be grey (ish). The Ercol settee was from the area of the store where furniture was put at discounted prices as they were not part of a matched set. When the Lazy boy arrived its mechanism failed on day one, so we retained it until Leekes had obtained a brand new replacement. No repairing it. Took a while as at that time Covid was hitting supplies. But no hassle from them. Also they supplied doors and windows to this house and our son’s house. Again excellent service.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Are you anywhere near Sheffield and Rotherham? We got a Lazy boy recliner leather sofa for our son at a bargain price from S2 sofas. They are also on line

They do overrun stock from major manufacturers and so the sofa you pick is the one you get. It restricts you to what they have in stock and in the configuration they have it; but delivery is quite speedy.
Mel

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Things happen in threes.......

We are off to Spain in two days.

Two weeks ago our seven year old built in microwave decided it didn't want to be a microwave any more so replaced that.

Then last week our lawn mower also decided it had had mowed enough grass so replaced that too.

Hopefully we can get to Tuesday without a third thing giving up.

When parts and labour repair costs come very close to replacing for new (with a two year guarantee in both cases) it's no wonder we have become a 'throw away' society.

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
More on Lazyboy. We have a Lazyboy 3 piece. About 11 years old. The two most used seats have collapsed and are now uncomfortable. We looked to replace it. Current prices are £5,000 plus. So I looked at repair. An upholster will take away the two offending seats and replace the guts plus a couple of other bits and pieces, while we are away in Tuscany next week. £750.

Strangly, as I wrote this, I recieved a text to say he will be here tomorrow to make a start.

John

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
More on Lazyboy. We have a Lazyboy 3 piece. About 11 years old. The two most used seats have collapsed and are now uncomfortably. We looked to replace it. Current prices are £5,000 plus. So I looked at repair. An upholster will take away the two offending seats and replace the guts plus a couple of other bits and pieces, while we are away in Tuscany next week. £750.

Strangly, as I wrote this, I recieved a text to say he will be here tomorrow to make a start.

John
We have a 2 seater and two singles. The seats on the two seater have collapsed and also on the recliner single seat. The other single is hardly ever sued except when guests come around so is in good condition. The recliner was repaired three times under the 12 month warranty due to collapsed seats.

Taking into consideration the original price paid, that it was an import from a distant Asian country and lastly being told it was leather when it was not I think an new one is in order rather than recovering, but can understanding recovering etc a Lazy-boy. We will probably be looking at Ercol, Parker Knoll and maybe G-plan. I think Himolla or Stressless may be out of our budget.

However why do these things always seem to happen at the wrong time? LOL!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Have a look at HSL, as if you have a disability, you can claim VAT exemption, which was over £1900 on our riser recliners.
My wife's disability is COPD breathing.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We have a 2 seater and two singles. The seats on the two seater have collapsed and also on the recliner single seat. The other single is hardly ever sued except when guests come around so is in good condition. The recliner was repaired three times under the 12 month warranty due to collapsed seats.

Taking into consideration the original price paid, that it was an import from a distant Asian country and lastly being told it was leather when it was not I think an new one is in order rather than recovering, but can understanding recovering etc a Lazy-boy. We will probably be looking at Ercol, Parker Knoll and maybe G-plan. I think Himolla or Stressless may be out of our budget.

However why do these things always seem to happen at the wrong time? LOL!
Mine is leather, I am not having it recovered. That would be silly money. Just two seats re packed with foam to bring them back to near new. We just use both ends of the settee, the other 3 seats are fine. But the leather has a few bits of damage and there is a seem splitting a bit. So he is doing these as well. When he visited to inspect, he took a sample of the leather from underneath so he could get some matched dye ordered.

John

Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
Sorry I couldn't resist this open invitation, My family run a furniture business in Lancashire with deliveries all over the uk, we are currently clearing a load of ex display branded sofas and chairs at half the actual retail price worth a look you may find what you need. Business is called Worthington Brougham Furniture in Chorley, website is www.wbfurniture.co.uk We do a lot of high quality brands like G Plan, Parker Knoll, and a lot of the genuine Italian leather sofas as sold by Barker & Stonehouse and Doorway to Value group - also us. The Lazyboy brand isn't the same as it was 10 years ago sadly.

Reactions: Hutch and Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Have a look at HSL, as if you have a disability, you can claim VAT exemption, which was over £1900 on our riser recliners.
My wife's disability is COPD breathing.
Thanks for the input and advcie regarding VAT exemption. I have looked at HSL previously, but I have been advised by my physio person to avoid a riser / recliner as long as possible. Something to do with helping leg and arm muscles etc as much as possible?

At present i do have a power recliner, but have hardly used the functions in the past 12 years as I find it very uncomfortable with my legs stretched out however I do need lumbar support.

At present the idea is to replace the two seater which is a manual recliner and the recliner, but instead of a power recliner to get a normal non reclining seat. At a later stage depending on how I am coping, to get the power recliner.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When I bought a new recliner to replace my old manual one it was neigh impossible to find one without power functions. So in the end I opted for a riser/ recliner custom made. In three years I’ve never had to use the riser function apart from periodic test. The recline function gets used between eating or reading or tv where I prefer a slightly sloping back. But in March this year I had an operation and was told to sleep upright for four nights. So rather than trying it in bed I used the chair. Quite comfortable given the circumstances but even then I only had the back reclined and the leg support was down.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
When I bought a new recliner to replace my old manual one it was neigh impossible to find one without power functions. So in the end I opted for a riser/ recliner custom made. In three years I’ve never had to use the riser function apart from periodic test. The recline function gets used between eating or reading or tv where I prefer a slightly sloping back. But in March this year I had an operation and was told to sleep upright for four nights. So rather than trying it in bed I used the chair. Quite comfortable given the circumstances but even then I only had the back reclined and the leg support was down.
Put recliners do not give a choice. The back reclines as the foot rest comes up.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Upholsterer came this morning, here for 1 hour. Sofa well in bits. Stacked both ends of the living room and then there are the parts he has taken to his workshop.

Worked out well. He will come back the day after we get back from holiday to put it back together.

IMG_2742.jpeg

IMG_2741.jpeg

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We been around and have decided on a Himolla recliner suite or OH has decided on it. LOL! It is an extremely comfortable chair for me and seat is nice and firm and there is a 5 year warranty on the foam plus the normal +10 years on frame.

However cannot decide whether to go for the manual recliner or electric. The electric has two separate functions one for foot rest and the other for back rest and are independent of one another.

The manual recliner you grab the arm rest and push back and it then reclines fairly easily. However as we get older pushing back may not be so easy.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We been around and have decided on a Himolla recliner suite or OH has decided on it. LOL! It is an extremely comfortable chair for me and seat is nice and firm and there is a 5 year warranty on the foam plus the normal +10 years on frame.

However cannot decide whether to go for the manual recliner or electric. The electric has two separate functions one for foot rest and the other for back rest and are independent of one another.

The manual recliner you grab the arm rest and push back and it then reclines fairly easily. However as we get older pushing back may not be so easy.
Trust me. Go electric, you’ll never be happy with manual. You keep,spilling the G&T when trying to recline🤪

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Does the manual one have a lever for raising/lowering the leg support to compliment the back recliner?

I was reluctant to buy an electric recliner but the company that was going to make it did not produce manual options. So I went for electric and don’t regret it one jot.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. We have decided to go electric as we both like the idea for being able to move the back and foot rests independently plus we are not getting any younger.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts