Why penalise our Doctors and Nurses?

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 25, 2008
Visit site
Health Care assistant or porter will earn, then look at the starting salaries for newly qualified Nurses or Radiographers- nobody here is getting rich fast.

That is the same as staff at Asda or Tesco. Not everyone can be at the top of the tree, sorry Nurses, Care Assistants, Porters are not special cases they are state employees that's all.

The reverse of the statement regarding vacancies applies if you don't like the Profession you choose you can always leave, retrain and get a job that you want to do.

Nurses make the choice when they leave school to train as a Nurse, don't tell me they haven't looked at the pay struture and the hassle that goes with the job ???.

The Council workers will not have a rise either, our son took a drop in the private sector, note not a freeze but a drop.

Nurses and Dr's are not a Special Case they are State Employees along with the rest.

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Gumbo,

Where in my post did I say that we were a special case? If you READ my post you will find we actually agree-no one should be a special case! I did'nt intend to suggest that care assistants or porters were special cases, I was attempting to identify that the NHS is not only staffed by Nurses and Doctors.

Again, if you READ my post, you will see that I am actually happy with my job, and purposefully made no mention of the "hassle" that goes with it! If I was, I would leave and retrain.

I did'nt leave school to become a nurse, I was employed in industry, lost my job and retrained, taking three years to qualify to the "basic" level that you have previously suggested we are trained to. To do this again would'nt be insurmountable for me.

I am sorry that your son, or others like him have taken a pay drop or even lost their jobs in these tough times.My brother was made redundant two weeks previously on the same day he found out his partner was expecting. I am worried for him. What would make you happy? If you want us all to work for free/drop our pay/or resign in sympathy, I am afraid you may be taking your own "Bp, temps, and pulse" when you are next in hospital. No problem though, you've already told us it's not difficult and you don't have to be highly skilled!!

May 25, 2008
Visit site
What would make you happy? If you want us all to work for free/drop our pay/or resign in sympathy, I am afraid you may be taking your own "Bp, temps, and pulse" when you are next in hospital. No problem though, you've already told us it's not difficult and you don't have to be highly skilled!!

Correct with regards to Bp Temps and Pulse most people do at home on a regular basis.

No I don't want anyone to take a pay cut.

What would I like to see is for some in the Nursing Profession to be up graded to a really high salary, reflecting the skill level required to do a very specific job ICUs and the likes.

What happened when they started to hand out degrees for nurses was they became over qualified for what they do. It really is as simple as that, an NVQ HNC/HND for basic nursing/caring would have been more than sufficient. I think someone has twigged to what has occured and they are starting to do something about it.

I post this as an Honest Opinion of what I see has gone wrong, it is not to say I am right it is just a view.

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Gumbo,

I respect your opinion and can honestly understand why many people may share your viewpoint.

In truth what you would like to see has partly happened.Traditional elements of "Nursing care" has been dissipated through the profession. Health care assistants now frequently work at NVQ 2 and 3 levels and undertake many of the traditional jobs that were previously associated with Nurses. Many Registered Nurses have evolved into "Advanced Practitioners" or "Nurses Practitioners". These often do skilled jobs that were previously the preserve of the medical profession, such as Prescribing, clinical examinations or interpretation of diagnostics (blood tests, ECGs, Xrays etc).Nursing in 2009, compared to many people's perceptions or understanding of the profession is very difficult to describe,and I dont intend to do so, particularly on a caravan forum!!

I can assure you, Nurse training is not easy (I did'nt think so anyway)and degrees or qualifications are not "handed out".My three year course involved assessments on over ten different clinical placements, including ED, ICU, CCU and theatres as well as submission of academic work, all of which we were required to pass to a high standard, resit or leave the course.

As part of our registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council we are also expected to update and validate our knowledge and skills, and can be asked to submit proof to the NMC at any time.

Without wishing to patronise you, you are correct, many people do take their own BP, pulse and temperature:- the skill lies within interpreting normal values and differentiating between diagnoses.To use a very simple comparison:I know nothing about cars. If my car's oil pressure drops-I know something is wrong, but thats about it-I dont know how to fix it, whether to stop immediately and call the AA or how long I can safely wait to tootle my way to the garage! :)

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Health care/service is an emotive subject, so there is going to be some flackflying around. And some returned.

We all have our own ideas about how we want our doctors and nurses to behave/treat us. But some of those doctors and nurses have their own ideas .... and some agree with us.

Money does not make them better at their job. I would argue that it would be better to cut medical wages in half, and employ twice as many. But I bet that would go down like a lead balloon. So they would rather work long hours in a stressful job? OK, so reduce their salary by 10% and employ 10% more people. Or cut their salary by 20%, employ 20% more people, and reduce their week to four days. Naw! That won't achieve anything ....apart from maybe improve their quality of life, maybe let them live longer. Hang on, that extra 20% staff will come off the unemployment list, so less taxes to pay their benefits, so we will all be better off. Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm talking thru my zorst, so I'll get my coat.

They reckon the French Health Srvice is better than ours. Did I read that a French surgeon gets paid less than a plumber? ???

602 (looking for somewhere to hide)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts