Why Pick on 4x4 Thread,,,,REMOVAL

Oct 19, 2005
Visit site
The full thread has been removed as despite being asked to refrain from personal comments relating to other users, some users have yet again abused the freedom of the forum and dragged the thread down to their level.

Whilst selective moderation may have been appropriate, I am not prepared to spend hours trawling through postings to do it.

Heavy handed,maybe, but then if users thought before engaging the SUBMIT button, and respected the few froum rules, then mods would be unnecessary.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Benny

It has nothing to do with debate. The moderators placed a warning into the thread about personal attacks. it looks like this was ignored so the thread was removed.

G

Once again members personal choice is mocked and made fun of, nothing is done about these attacks until someone has had enough and comes back with a response.

The joke is one of the first insulting comments has still been left on here.

It takes only a few seconds to cut and paste postings and leave out the offending posts, the Mod could cut and paste all the posts into his own post leaving out the offending ones.

That takes seconds, not "hours" trawling through posts and editing.

Wrapping up posts with neat "I am" and "I do" because, so it belittles others choices or position in life is as insulting as so called direct personal comments.

It seems that posts are set to trigger the mods action, I only ask that the mods act earlier.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am surprised as this thread was on the whole good natured. I did not see or post anything that was offensive.

I have noted that whilst Mod 1 seems to be able to handle such debate with flair and fairness - Mod 2 & 3 are rather heavy handed in comparison.

Sadly I have to conclude the same suspicions as benny.

If the thread had degenerated to silliness then for goodness sake just delete the last bits! The whinging comment that Mod 2 would have had to have spent hours trawling through postings is a nonsense. Just delete the offending last few posts and email the offender(s) with a warning!

When you have a popular and sensible discussion it seems heavy-handed in the extreme to delete the lot.

I call into question the supposed lack of bias of Mod 2 and ask that he/she too respects the forum rules and thinks twice before hitting the delete button.

G

I've emailed the Mod ( Mod 1 I guess ) rather than be accused of anything untowards in Public.

I agree with your comments fully CliveV and hope that the mods can edit quickly and easily in the way suggested in future should the need arise again :0)

Jul 4, 2006
Visit site
I have to agree with the rest of the forum members comments.

I too am surprised at the removal of the thread and I did not witness any abuse, true there was some lighthearted banter and leg pulling mainly aimed at me but that was all it was "leg pulling"

Got to go now to pick up my new "sharp suit"

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Mod 2 was completely right in deleting the whole thread.

The suggestion that a moderator would remove a thread becuase of bias towards one side of an argument is completely wrong.

Warnings had been given that some posters were resorting to personal abuse - again.

The trouble is that when threads degenerate into personal abuse, it usually happens gradually, and it can be difficult to decide where to draw the line. To start deleting some posts and not others results in complaints of bias, and can make the resulting responses seem nonsensical.

I concur with Mod 2 about it taking a lot of time to weed out a corrupted thread. The forum admin is as quirky as the rest of the forum and it really is a very time-consuming process to delete a lot of single posts.

I would remind those who have criticised above that the moderators are not employees of Haymarket and are not on duty 24/7.

G

Congratualations Mod 1 on a very PC PC post.

Dare I ask how a mod decides what is accecptable and what is not.

Surely the mod scans through what has been posted, meaning that if they spot a problem they could cut and paste at the same time.

Or are you saying that they just one problem post and can the lot.

By way of example, Ive just edited the above thread in a few seconds.

With the greatest of respect for the volunteer Mods, if you volunteer. Be prepared to spend a little time as others spend a little time making posts be they good or bad.

"Moderator2 Why Pick on 4x4 Thread,,,,REMOVAL

28 Nov 2006 08:14 PM

The full thread has been removed as despite being asked to refrain from personal comments relating to other users, some users have yet again abused the freedom of the forum and dragged the thread down to their level.

Heavy handed,maybe, but then if users thought before engaging the SUBMIT button, and respected the few froum rules, then mods would be unnecessary.

benny

29 Nov 2006 07:54 AM well one of the best topics yet gone and over 120 replys dont you like debates or is it you dont like 4x4s

Sparkes (Steve)

29 Nov 2006 08:17 AM Benny

It has nothing to do with debate. The moderators placed a warning into the thread about personal attacks. it looks like this was ignored so the thread was removed.

euro

29 Nov 2006 08:44 AM Once again members personal choice is mocked and made fun of, nothing is done about these attacks until someone has had enough and comes back with a response.

It takes only a few seconds to cut and paste postings and leave out the offending posts, the Mod could cut and paste all the posts into his own post leaving out the offending ones.

That takes seconds, not "hours" trawling through posts and editing.

Wrapping up posts with neat "I am" and "I do" because, so it belittles others choices or position in life is as insulting as so called direct personal comments.

It seems that posts are set to trigger the mods action, I only ask that the mods act earlier.

CliveV

29 Nov 2006 09:08 AM I am surprised as this thread was on the whole good natured. I did not see or post anything that was offensive.

I have noted that whilst Mod 1 seems to be able to handle such debate with flair and fairness - Mod 2 & 3 are rather heavy handed in comparison.

If the thread had degenerated to silliness then for goodness sake just delete the last bits! The whinging comment that Mod 2 would have had to have spent hours trawling through postings is a nonsense. Just delete the offending last few posts and email the offender(s) with a warning!

When you have a popular and sensible discussion it seems heavy-handed in the extreme to delete the lot.

I call into question the supposed lack of bias of Mod 2 and ask that he/she too respects the forum rules and thinks twice before hitting the delete button.

Ricky Lionheart

29 Nov 2006 09:56 AM I have to agree with the rest of the forum members comments.

I too am surprised at the removal of the thread and I did not witness any abuse, true there was some lighthearted banter and leg pulling mainly aimed at me but that was all it was "leg pulling"

Got to go now to pick up my new "sharp suit"

Moderator1

29 Nov 2006 11:24 AM Mod 2 was completely right in deleting the whole thread.

The suggestion that a moderator would remove a thread becuase of bias towards one side of an argument is completely wrong.

Warnings had been given that some posters were resorting to personal abuse - again.

The trouble is that when threads degenerate into personal abuse, it usually happens gradually, and it can be difficult to decide where to draw the line. To start deleting some posts and not others results in complaints of bias, and can make the resulting responses seem nonsensical.

I concur with Mod 2 about it taking a lot of time to weed out a corrupted thread. The forum admin is as quirky as the rest of the forum and it really is a very time-consuming process to delete a lot of single posts.

I would remind those who have criticised above that the moderators are not employees of Haymarket and are not on duty 24/7. "

Apr 10, 2006
Visit site
Euro

The admin interface for this forum is nothing like the user interface. Mod2 is correct about the editing of posts.

I placed the warning on the thread to try and keep it on subject. It appears that this was ignored and with past history on the site it is better all round to dump the thread.

None of the Moderators are employees, we all give up our own time to try to keep the forum in good order. Mod1 did this for a long time on his own and we joined to help when things got very bad.

None of us, or I believe many of the users want the forum to go back to the way it was, as a user I would rather loose a few threads. As a moderator, I would rather delete a few.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We all step out of line, every now and then. The Mods on this forum do an excellent job sifting through posts and deleting when necessary. The reason we have the freedom to post the way we do, is down to them. So if they say no, it means no. I do detect some ganging up on the mods in this topic, you should be ashamed of yourselves. So, without prejudice or malice, I would like to offer my services as Mod 5.05 (SE) (Return of the), just to back you fellas up.

Man, when I get that delete button, there's going to be a "Delete fest", like no one has ever seen before.

You're not still reading this are you?

Aug 7, 2006
Visit site
We all step out of line, every now and then. The Mods on this forum do an excellent job sifting through posts and deleting when necessary. The reason we have the freedom to post the way we do, is down to them. So if they say no, it means no. I do detect some ganging up on the mods in this topic, you should be ashamed of yourselves. So, without prejudice or malice, I would like to offer my services as Mod 5.05 (SE) (Return of the), just to back you fellas up.

Man, when I get that delete button, there's going to be a "Delete fest", like no one has ever seen before.

You're not still reading this are you?
Lol well i havent laughed so much for a long time and yes i was still reading it but i must say sorry to all the mods 1 2 &3 i just tink it was a good debeate so sorry.

TRENDING THREADS