WIFI Boosters etc

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Just got off a site that had next to no WiFi, along with no Mob signal, so no 4G. Good in a lot of ways, but also bad in others. So, in a situation like this, is there anything out there that gives something to work with? Thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Fithawk said:
Just got off a site that had next to no WiFi, along with no Mob signal, so no 4G. Good in a lot of ways, but also bad in others. So, in a situation like this, is there anything out there that gives something to work with? Thanks.

Could try the local pub, they may have wifi, and if not a good place to spend some time anyway. Guess that you will tell me that the nearest one is miles away. :(

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
A SAT dish Fithawk, I don't know of other alternatives but there are other much more knowledgeable than I on here who may advise.

Been on such a site myself more than once, I resorted to the miserable alternative of talking with my wife, drinking beer and other things requiring less techy solutions ;)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The broadband on some sites that have it tends to be very expensive so I use a mobile dongle. Mine is from EE, but other service providers also sell them. My EE one is on a pay monthly tariff which I can drop in and out of, I simply end the deal in the winter months because we no longer use the caravan in winter, and we renew when we start to tour again in spring.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Fithawk said:

Write a letter or postcard and buy a newspaper. Studying one’s navel can be rewarding if on can still see it. :(

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
I couldn’t agree more !

Phone, ipad and PC dominate my working day, and so they’re the last thing I want to see when I’m enjoying a family break.

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Ok, before we disappear down the rabbit hole of “I don’t want WiFi/phones anyway” :), I really would like some ideas, as per my question :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Fithawk said:
Ok, before we disappear down the rabbit hole of “I don’t want WiFi/phones anyway” :), I really would like some ideas, as per my question :)

If as you say in your original post no WiFi and barely any 4G then there’s not a lot that could be guaranteed to help you other than satellite. But I suspect that would be expensive.

Boosters are about but don’t know their performance. Try this link
https://www.signalboosters.co.uk/

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If as you say there is no wifi then a wifi booster as the thread subject is of no use.
I have an Alfa Networks AWUSH long range antenna plus an omni directional and a Yagi directional aerial and provided you have line of sight to even a weak wifi source it improves things; but if there is nothing there that's it the wifi route. The yagi needs setting up on a tripod, so all a bit of hassle.
If the 4G cell system is poor then as we have two different phone providers, then sometimes one is very much better to use than the other.
Those two failing, then its going to be very expensive being on-line from that site; on my pay scale I dare not even enquire and opt for cycling away a bit seeking a signal to check my emails.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
We have wifi in the caravan courtesy of 3. In our third year and now pay £8 for 10 gig download. We use it for planning purposes, e.g. places to visit, future trips etc. Also download magazines via our home library and books to read. We have 2 phones, one EE, one vodaphone and the 3 device. Never failed to get a signal on at least one of the devices. The position in the caravan determines signal strength . Doesn't work with all blinds down as you are then in a metal box. Don't forget that many proiders use other peoples poles. For example I'm on plusnet mobile, which is EE, wife is on talk mobile who use vodaphone poles Don't forget that you can download films at home and the replay them through the caravan tv. (We don't do that but still use dvds.)

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
With a lot of sites, its not that there is no signal, its that there is no signal from your provider. I find that a simple search online before booking, will provide the required information, then I buy the required sim card for my MiFi.
You can also ascertain the position of the nearest tower to ensure your aerial is pointing in the right direction and try to avoid blocking trees.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts