wifi in france

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi can anyone tell me is it possible to use my lap top on site in France that provides wifi connection and recive bbc or itv when away in june when the world cup is on .Or is there a way round anyproblems.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Get yourself a sat kit. You can buy a dish and associated bits in France (yes, it will work over here as well) for about _30. Look at www.humax-direct.co.uk and get a Manager's special Freesat receiver (assuming of course you don't have a Sky box which you can take with you.) You will of course also need a TV - if a 19" is suitable look for a Sharp L19D1EBK which you should be able to get for about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You will be able to use the site WiFi if your laptop is wireless enabled. I assume you mean via the BBC News website or iPlayer? Sporting events are a different matter and are often blocked outside of the UK. Not sure about football but certainly F1 Grand Prixs are. Its all to do with the licensing arrangements.

I would have thought a lot of campsites will be screening the games in their bars as a way of drumming up custom. Alternatively why not think about satellite receiver and dish. If you have a digital TV you should be able to get a good picture on local channels via the Status Aerial.

David

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
David

Wi-fi on sites in France is generally expensive, as it is in England, compared to other European countries.

You may be able to find some "free" ones, but the broadband speed will almost certainly be insufficient for watching television.

Much better to go down the satelite route as others have said, or watch it in French on the local terrestial service - if the English games are on!!

Keith

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Cheapest option for france is to use a digital TV, if you have one. It is easy to set up using the TV set up menu, and you will be able to view the various French Channels, as these modern TV's are set up for varies countries.

WiFi is not an option on the BBC, as reported, the channels are blocked, and you can only get newscasts.

satellite is the other option, but it is expensive, and you have to 'lug' the equipment around.

Last time the football was on we were in France, we used the camp site TV room and joined in the atmosphere with the rest of the campers. France playing Holland, great game and it's what being 'european and camping' is all about.

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
We prefer to watch the matches in the bar as you get the full atmosphere. The main site we use Bois Soleil near Royan has WIFI and charges 8 euro for 24 hours use. We were there for 3 weeks and I could get on for 18 days with the one ticket.

Les

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On site wifi in France seems to be very expensive for short stays. If you have good battery time in your laptop try the local McDonalds. At some you can sit in the car and use it if you park up close; others it seems to be screened to get you inside although to be fair there seems no compulsion to buy anything - but a cup of coffee may soothe the frustration of having to wade through all the McD advertising that will come up first.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ray

I am not sure what people call expensive in terms of WiFi costs. It does vary a lot but even if you have to pay _4 for an hour that hour can often last several days depending on what you use it for. I did try a McD's once but felt it was a bit of a pain and certainly outside the building not a very strong signal.

David

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts