Wild Touring and Off the beaten track

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Hello Guys.

I am new to touring and although we enjoy going to sites around hampshire i still feel that there are a large number of spots that we are missing out on that are off the beaten track. Is there anyway or website to be able to find these secluded spots.

We live in Southsea and we know that by the Eastney ferry (Soon to be reopened) there is an area there where the local council turn a blind eye for an overnight stop, I was wondering if there was a list of other areas such as this or is this an underground topic that cannot be discussed in public :)

Anyway if anyone is able to help it would be very much appreciated.

Jordan

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Where am I allowed to wild camp in the British Isles?

Strictly, all land in England and Wales is owned so you must gain permission before camping. However, wild camping within reasonable limits is often tolerated in many upland and remote areas, particularly in Snowdonia and the Lake District.

One exception is Dartmoor, where camping is allowed for up to two consecutive nights in the same spot or for longer in a permitted camping area, except within 100 metres of a public road or in any enclosure or other restricted area.

Wild camping in Scotland was made legal in 2005 after a campaign by groups such as the Ramblers. You can camp wild on hill land but should respect any nearby dwellings or livestock. The exception is the east part of Loch Lomonds National Park, where wild camping (and alcohol) was banned in 2010 due to antisocial behaviour such as noise, littering and vandalism, with a consultation held in 2012 to discuss extending the ban to four islands in the area.

In Ireland, wild camping is not strictly legal but is tolerated in many upland and remote areas, and the Northern Ireland Forestry Service issues camping permits at some of its sites.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Not wild camping, but if you want smaller quiet spots, have a look at CL's. CS's and independent 5 van sites. Many of these are on roads less travelled.
Mel

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Living in Southsea I am sure you must be familiar with the New Forest wild sites.
Yes you have to pay but they are well off the beaten track.
There are sometimes just a freshwater tap and a chemical disposal point although EHU and full toilet facilities are available on many sites.

New Forest and other UK sites

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts