Will my tow ball Do??

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello all. I want to pick up a caravan from about 30 miles distance from home.
My car is fitted with the Alko tow ball to suit the Alko stabilising Hitch on our Bailey.
However the van I want to move is what I would call the "old style hitch" the type where a leaf type stabiliser would normally be used.

So my question is will my tow ball be ok for the trip? If ok I am aware that the Tow ball will need a thorough cleaning and de-greasing afterwards, before using it with the Alko hitch on our van.

I'm thinking it could be quite pricey to buy a new tow ball plus obviously new sets of bolts for both just for a one off trip.

I know the other way around would cause issues due To the clearance below the ball.
I'm going to borrow the adaptor for the 2x7 pin. - 13 pin connection from a friend.

Regards to all Brian

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Don't forget to clean any grease off your towball when you've moved the non-Alko hitch caravan Brian ;)

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Parksy said:
Don't forget to clean any grease off your towball when you've moved the non-Alko hitch caravan Brian ;)
absolutely Brian, it can be made a bit easier though by covering the ball with a plastic bag before hitching up this will keep most of the grease off the ball apart from where it clips on.
I used to use a square from the thick plastic rubble sacks on mine when using the box trailer..

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all for your comments and advice.
In the end we got a different Van and it has the Alko Hitch So at least I've learnt something for future..
Thanks to all
Best regards Brian

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
My advice if using with a stabilizer built in, make sure grease is off the tow ball as it will contaminate the pads, and may need replacing, the alko ball has a longer neck, as a standard has a shorter one. Hope this helps

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts