Will you carry on wearing a mask?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On the 26th the necessity to wear a mask inside buildings will be removed. Will you continue to wear yours or are you looking forward to your new found freedom from masks.
For the first month although we are fully vaccinated I think we will continue to wear masks in supermarkets as we are both regarded as extremely vulnerable. If the infection rate continues to drop, then we may reconsider, but until then we will be wearing our masks inside supermarkets.
It seems that in supermarkets it is one of the few places where you constanly come into close proximity with many other people in the aisles as many aisles in supermarkets are very narrow. At least in a pub you can choose a quiet not so busy pub and sit in a corner away from other people.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We will be doing the same as you. But remember, we wear masks primarily for the benefit of others . I predict that by the middle of next week we will be in the minority.

John

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
I would have said yes but my wife, daughter and myself and currently 5 days into having covid. To be fair, for us, it's been no worse than a heavy cold. We are all triple jabbed.
Hopefully my antibodies are built up now.

Kev

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We will be doing the same as you. But remember, we wear masks primarily for the benefit of others . I predict that by the middle of next week we will be in the minority.

John
We're both with you - we never stopped wearing masks in shops before and won't now - on Friday we were already the minority as many thought the de-restriction already applied.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
In Scotland it will still be necessary to wear a mask in public indoor settings and on public transport.

Regardless we would still wear them in those settings for some time even if the rules changed soon.

Reactions: Broxmeister

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, we will carry on wearing masks especially in supermarkets and other places where a lot of people gather.

Seems only sensible whilst the numbers rise.
I dont take much notice of the death figures as they put out the number of those who died within 28 days of a positive covid test where probably quite a lot actually died from something else and the test strips re not 100% accurate.

You can be carrying the virus but not have any symptoms.

Reactions: ProfJohnL

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Yes in shops and public transport. It is more for the benefit of others than me. We have continued to wear masks in Church throughout the various rule changes, so imagine we will keep them on for a while..
Also, there are plenty of the usual coughs and colds circulating as is usual at this time of year. Not spreading those will help keep pressure off the NHS. I agree that mask wearers will quickly become a minority.
Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Despite reading sometimes conflicting reports on the benefits or otherwise of mask wearing I take the real world experience of Japan and Korea as a guide. Mask wearing has been a part of their lifestyle for many years. Yet even though they don’t have such an intense flu vaccination programme as we do their incidence of flu each winter is less than ours, and their population density is above ours. So I do think masks are beneficial, to whom I’m not sure. But we continue to wear ours in similar places to other posts above. Yet last Friday we went out with friends and despite the pub getting busy mainly with “ oldies” we were the only party who wore masks on entering or leaving. The staff didn’t wear masks, yet where our granddaughter works it is predominantly a young persons restaurant and staff masks are compulsory and will be for the foreseeable future, and she says quite a few of the customers continue to wear them on arrival, moving around or leaving.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Despite reading sometimes conflicting reports on the benefits or otherwise of mask wearing I take the real world experience of Japan and Korea as a guide. Mask wearing has been a part of their lifestyle for many years. Yet even though they don’t have such an intense flu vaccination programme as we do their incidence of flu each winter is less than ours, and their population density is above ours. So I do think masks are beneficial, to whom I’m not sure. But we continue to wear ours in similar places to other posts above. Yet last Friday we went out with friends and despite the pub getting busy mainly with “ oldies” we were the only party who wore masks on entering or leaving. The staff didn’t wear masks, yet where our granddaughter works it is predominantly a young persons restaurant and staff masks are compulsory and will be for the foreseeable future, and she says quite a few of the customers continue to wear them on arrival, moving around or leaving.
When going to the toilet in the pub always put on my mask. If it is a pub new to use or we have not been for a long time mask on when entering or leaving.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Fully jabbed I shouldn’t be concerned. However sister fully jabbed now has it. Masks will continue with us in supermarkets , too many strangers. Public places and transport yes.Local pub , well no.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Even if masks aren't 100% effective, anything that helps to prevent the transmission or acquisition of a virus like Covid is some benefit, and if it makes the difference between staying well or becoming ill or even life and death then erring on the safe side has to be something worth considering.

As it seems likely the restrictions will be eased further, I continue to predict we will have more waves of Covid varieties in the coming months. We cannot predict whether new strains will be more or less infectious or cause more or less severe symptoms, though historically viruses tend loose their worst symptoms or the populating becomes better able to fight the infections but there are no guarantees.

Just spare a thought for the most vulnerable.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
We will also continue to wear masks for the time being and also refrain, as much as possible, from going anywhere where there are gatherings of people. So trips to the supermarket will only take place during off-peak hours and there will be no visits to the pub or to a restaurant until this is all over.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
As said above, like others we will continue mask wearing in supermarkets etc. But I see the WHO are still very concerned, particularly for the more vulnerable and elderly. But anecdotally at least, those who are affected seem to be much milder than in the past. My immediate family has 15 members in ages ranging from nearly 1 to nearly 74 (me ☹). All have stayed covid free up until the new year. Two grandchildren came down with it, then a little later two great grand children followed by their father. But their mother has stayed completely free despite nursing 3 of them. So 33% of us. All of them have had very mild symptoms.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Yes you should !!!
Just because you have had 3 jabs does not guarantee that you will not catch it.

It does not pay to be complacent.

You have taken Dustdogs post out of context Damian, when the whole post is read. I certainly did not get a hint of complacency.

John

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You have taken Dustdogs post out of context Damian, when the whole post is read. I certainly did not get a hint of complacency.

John

If it seems that is the case, then apologies to all, it was not meant to be just a reply toDD's post, but a lot of folk do seem to think that just because they have had 3 jabs they are immune, when they are not.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If it seems that is the case, then apologies to all, it was not meant to be just a reply toDD's post, but a lot of folk do seem to think that just because they have had 3 jabs they are immune, when they are not.

Which is true. Out of the 5 family members I mentioned in #14. Two are small children so not eligible. But the other 3 are fully jabbed.

John

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I don't want to see a society shopping in masks. I'll do what the shop or Venue says. If a mask is preferred I will if not then no. I don't want to see a masked society I want to be able to interact wit people properly. I may base my wearing on covid levels too though.

Reactions: Kevin M and Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thank you John and Damian. Spot on John. I missed out the ? Mark after “shouldn’t”. But my sole intention was to explain first hand even with 3 jabs we are still at risk.
This week alone sil and big and grand daughter 250 miles away have all caught it. They tell me it is like a flu bug so hopefully the 3 jabs may have reduced the severity.
Masks will remain available and be used by us for the foreseeable future

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My cousin and her husband caught covid in early 2020, and fortunately were not hospitalise, particularly as her husband was still receiving treatment for Hodgkinsons. Then this Christmas they caught it again even after having their three jabs, and taking what they thought were all the correct precautions and keeping within guidelines. They think it was caught from a grandchild who was too young for vaccination. This time though the effects were more akin to a mild cold. But covid seems to be the “ gift” that keeps on giving.

Jan 21, 2022
Visit site
We wear masks for others benefit, so it's not so much about us, we can win this virus only sticking together and if everyone will make at leas one little step for covid treatment, we will win this virus very soon

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I have COPD so wearing a mask is not new to me as I have to wear one one using spray cleaning products, the fumes choke me . The Tesco one really chokes me. I will carry on wearing outside for bus and shopping.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts