wind deflectors

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, new to caravanning and just wondered where are the wind deflectors gone? you know the detatchable type you fit to rear of car tro do exactly what it says on the tin. Are they now ont available, no good or just not the in accessory any more? also views on ovens in vans, are they a necessity or could we survive with just hob and grill and other accessories, ther is just myself my girlfriend and 3 yesr old daughter, thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ian, I don't think they are on the market now, but with one unit of a roof rack mounted approx over the rear axle you can make one by putting a piece of ply or similar at an angle and try it. If you get dead flies on the 'van alter the position and or angle. All the best.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Wind deflectors only really work when individually adjusted to suit the actual aerodynamic conditions of each particular outfit. As no-one is able to determine proper adjustment without technical aids and a wind tunnel, the positive (or negative) effect of wind deflectors is more a matter of luck or trial and error than sound engineering principles.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
iam thinking of buying a van

but don't know the first thing about them i drive a renault scenic diesel and would like a four berth van can anyone advise me what to buy in the

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian,brought a caravan last year,hubbie & I disagreed on this point,he thought it unnecessary I won.Unless you can

afford to eat out,or live on B.B.Qs an oven is a must with children.In England when its cold and wet you can throw in jacket potatoes,chicken portions.When we have the long holiday in France,we can buy from the local hyermarche

and cook ready prepared meals

like lasagne(fresh)just bung in the oven,serve with salad

costs about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know where mine is .Its on the top shelf in the garage.I used to think that it made a difference with smaller engined cars in the past but became concerned about effect on stability after reading the ads for the wing type that fitted on the towbar.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For our next 'van I think we will insist on gas rings and grill but no oven. We use a Remoska cooking pan from Lakeland. Has the advantage of being low wattage - handy on some sites with minimal amps. This thing will cook, roast, bake meat, veg, whatever.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian, My advice would be to buy a van with an oven. We bought a van without an oven because the choice was a second hand van with an oven, or a brand new one without. I have never regretted that decision but it is a feature that we would have liked. We went back to the dealer a year later to find out if we could have one fitted retrospectively, but unfortunately this was not possible. We have though, become particularly inventive with hob cooking as a result and in fine weather the bbq rarely cools down. Also, we use a Cobb to roast meat when we want 'fuss free' cooking. However, on those cold/wet evenings I would dearly love to batten down the hatches and use an oven. Best Wishes, George T.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I tow a twenty foot twin axle van of 1982 vintage. this has a semi sloping front and so is not very aerodynamic. The tow car is a 2Ltr Laguna estate. First of all I notice when driving the car solo the back tail gate takes seconds to get plastered in dirt, telling me that thedesign causes back draft at the rear of the car. Put the van behind and I'm down to 55mph flat out and you can visably see the fuel guage moving "way on down". Putting the wind deflector that I bought for

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts