Wind Speed

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Is there such a thing as a chart recommending you not to tow a van in certain windspeeds?
Would assume it would be different for a lighter or heavier van If there is such a thing.
Or is it just down to common sense?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Sprocket but what I was actually trying to say was should I tow if say wind speeds are over 30 mph/40mph/50mph???
Its just that a construction site crane cannot operate if the wind is over 33mph and I worked on the Tamar Bridge when it was widened and we had a limit of 35mph mind you it was great fun trying to walk across it at 75mph winds.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings,
Slightly Off Topic but the one difference we have noticed when travelling on the Continent is the number of 'Windsocks' placed at or near bridges or exposed sections of roads. It really helps in understanding what the prevelent wind conditions are.
The worst type of wind is when it is hitting the sides of the 'van. I don't have any trouble dealing with a headwind (other than watching the fuel guage drop at an alaming rate
smiley-frown.gif
) and just sometimes we have been blessed with a strong following wind that has given us remarkable fuel figures.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Kev
Firstly common sense must prevail. If there is a wind warning or obvious signs of high winds change the time of your journey.
The real problem is the "gusts" .
These can be substantially higher than the recorded wind speed. It's these gusts that cause the biggest problems. .

The giveaway signs that the wind is dangerous is when you see the curtains pulled back on artics to avoid being blown over. IMO towing should not be done in these conditions.

So you are on your journey and the weather changes . Well you'll soon feel a change in the handling. Slow right down or better still pull off at the next available safe place and rest awhile.
Towing in high wiinds is foolhardy.
However you wanted to know what wind speed makes towing unsafe?
I don't know the exact mph but in all honesty even you my valiant knight will know when it is just too windy to be safe!!
smiley-laughing.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Kev,

As previous contributors have said, towing in high wind speeds must be done with extreme caution, and if conditions are bad enough don't tow.

No one can give an exact wind speed figure that will cause problems, it will be different for each outfit, and it will also depend on wind direction, gusting etc.

If the authorities are warning lorries and high sided vehicles about wind conditions, then I would suggest you don't tow, but because of the axle arrangements of caravans they are inherently less stable than most lorries in windy conditions. Consequently
lesser conditions can be a problem for caravans and high sided trailers, but unfortunately there is no clear guidance that can be given.

Ultimately its your own decision, and you perhaps need to try out towing in different conditions and note when the average wind speed begins to make you thing things become slightly unsettled.

I think that your comments about crane limits are probably quite sensible, and if nothing else may be a starting point - but do be careful.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Yesterday when on the M62 just past J32 where it goes into 4 lanes I was doing aprox 55mph with the van on the back when the artic behind me decided to pull out into the middle lane to pass me (no problem) I checked my left mirror & another one pulled into the near side lane to head north up the A1, & for a period of time I was in the middle of two artics, while they both passed me, I was not expecting that to happen & my a342 nipped ....... The van did not budge a bit, ........... am so glad that it was not very windy..........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts