Windbreak and awning skirt?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have a new 8 month old terrier who is an escape artist. With our previous dogs we have used the awning with windbreak up against the awning wall so not issue there.

However this year we would like to start using the sunshade instead of the awning. The problem here is although we can peg the windbreak pole up against the side of the caravan the issue is the awning skirt and not sure how to get it up against the windbreak pole to prevent him sneaking out. We do not want to impale the awning skirt due to the hole it will leave. Another problem is that all pitches vary so height of awning skirt will vary. the awning skirt has two sets of holes. One at the bottom of the skirt and the other about halfway up.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Yes, dog training classes !
Treat the cause, NOT the symptoms

Sorry if that seems harsh but if you don't n i p this in the bud now you will have similar problems forever.

(I had to add the spaces because the auto censor removed the three letter word starting with N finishing with P and I in the middle for some bizarre reason)

Reactions: Niall_McIntosh
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You could use a ground screw and lead, a crate, or a lightweight fold up pen. But I guess your main concern will be when he’s unrestrained and you are not keeping a watch 100% of the time. At 8 months he’s bound to be inquisitive and want to explore. All I can add is good luck.

Reactions: Raywood
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Our Springer is, for a spaniel, pretty well trained and his recall is very good. However, we wouldn't dream of leaving him outside unrestrained. We use a long lead (one of the metail cored ones that came with a groundscrew) which we loop around one of the caravan wheels. This gives him plenty of space to explore the pitch, but not stray any further.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yes, dog training classes !
Treat the cause, NOT the symptoms

Sorry if that seems harsh but if you don't n i p this in the bud now you will have similar problems forever.

(I had to add the spaces because the auto censor removed the three letter word starting with N finishing with P and I in the middle for some bizarre reason)
You are correct. He has been to dog training classes, but we have not been out in the caravan since he was an 8 months old puppy and then it was for 4 days end of August. We are unsure if he will try and escape, but would like to take precautions anyway.

If at home the front door is opened to take i.e. a delivery and you are not careful he is out like a flash as he wants to say "Hello". Trying to get him back can be difficult. Weirdly if there is no one around there is no issue with the recall.

We do have ground screws and have used them in past with our other dogs who have passed on. The only hassle is them getting tangle around every possible chair leg they could find! :D

I came across these which we may consider after out first outing to a CL with him at Easter. https://www.jormaxwindbreaks.co.uk/draught-skirt

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Derogatory slang for people of Japanese ethnicity? (It's about time these robotic sensors looked for context as well as individual words).

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Derogatory slang for people of Japanese ethnicity? (It's about time these robotic sensors looked for context as well as individual words).
Nippon actually means the Land of the Rising Sun. Shortening should not be offensive except to those that do not come from Japan, don't know the culture but decide that the word is offensive like in mamy other instances?

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
You are correct. He has been to dog training classes, but we have not been out in the caravan since he was an 8 months old puppy and then it was for 4 days end of August. We are unsure if he will try and escape, but would like to take precautions anyway.

If at home the front door is opened to take i.e. a delivery and you are not careful he is out like a flash as he wants to say "Hello". Trying to get him back can be difficult. Weirdly if there is no one around there is no issue with the recall.

We do have ground screws and have used them in past with our other dogs who have passed on. The only hassle is them getting tangle around every possible chair leg they could find! :D

I came across these which we may consider after out first outing to a CL with him at Easter. https://www.jormaxwindbreaks.co.uk/draught-skirt
Then he needs further training so that when instructed to sit he does exactly that, and doesn't move until told he can.
Not an easy one to achieve, but possible.

I DO understand the issue you have having had dogs of my own, but it's essential to address the cause of any behaviour rather than trying to treat the symptoms. It takes a lot of persistence, but worth it in the end.

My son in law is what I would describe as a "dog whisperer" he achieves miracles with badly behaved dogs in 20-30 minutes. Just incredible to see what he can do with supposedly out of control dogs.

Sorry, but he is currently doing rodent detection work on cruise ships calling at the Falklands before heading to South Georgia, and drug detection work at Mount Pleasant airfield. (Private individual not military) .

In your current situation I think the interim course of action is a screw in peg and a short lead.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Then he needs further training so that when instructed to sit he does exactly that, and doesn't move until told he can.
Not an easy one to achieve, but possible.

I DO understand the issue you have having had dogs of my own, but it's essential to address the cause of any behaviour rather than trying to treat the symptoms. It takes a lot of persistence, but worth it in the end.

My son in law is what I would describe as a "dog whisperer" he achieves miracles with badly behaved dogs in 20-30 minutes. Just incredible to see what he can do with supposedly out of control dogs.

Sorry, but he is currently doing rodent detection work on cruise ships calling at the Falklands before heading to South Georgia, and drug detection work at Mount Pleasant airfield. (Private individual not military) .

In your current situation I think the interim course of action is a screw in peg and a short lead.
You are correct again. No issue with sit command and recall if there is no one else around. During the puppy training classes he was as good as gold even though there were other people and dogs around.

Being a terrier he knows how to twist OH and get away with some things and i know the short lead will be one of them when he whimpers. I ignore him and then get an earful from OH. LOL!

However the expanding lead can be restricted and fits nicely over the screw peg. I think we are NOT going to be having a quiet boring Easter weekend. LOL! Rory 03.02.2024.jpg:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think that for a change I may have a bright idea and use wooden expanding garden trellis either side. A lot cheaper and when he is trained we can use them in the garden. We can place them between the windbreak where it comes up to the side of the caravan. He is very scared of them since one fell on him when he was a puppy. Problem solved.

However dog training classes are still on the horizon!

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Our yorkie goes on a screw peg and coated wire which we loop around one of the van legs, yes she can get a bit tangled but most of the time she just lays in the shade under the van and is in all other respects is as good as gold
Our son has a year old black Cocker spaniel who is completely bonkers but will return instantly from any situation on the word "come" but if you add any other word such as "come here" she will not take a blind bit of notice this is so reliable that he has no qualms about letting her run and it is a wonder to watch
Those who say a labradore is born half trained and a spaniel dies half trained should see this.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
At home I have a real problem with our 18 month Sprocker. She thinks the flower borders are her happy hunting ground. So I’ve had to line all of the borders with barrier fencing held in place with long metal stakes, and held down with tent pegs. Even then she found the three hedgehog cut outs and endeavoured to push and shove her way through. So they are now obstructed by 18 inch by 12 inch small fence pieces. One evening she even jumped over with ease when a neighbours cat was there. Fortunately the cat got away unarmed. She’s continually on the look out for something to grab. I go out with my grandson who has a 3 year old Visla. When he uses the ball thrower every time she beats the Visla in retrieving his ball and returns it to me.

IMG_3342.jpeg

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have the garden folding trellis which has stopped him from invading the flower garden. Need to get some more for the veggie patch as he likes to dig up flowers. Never had this issue with our previous Yorkies.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts