Windsock pole - suitable for tv ariel?

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a highgrain tv ariel (rather large) for caravan use. At the moment it sits on top of a 10/12ft pole. I have been looking at windsock poles, would one of those be suitable to put the ariel on, or would the windsock pole be too flimsy? - The tv ariel isn't heavy, just long. I was just wondering as the windsock poles come in various lengths (much longer than 10ft)and thought I might get a better picture in poorer reception areas.

Also, if one of those poles is adequate, how would you attach the tv ariel to it?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If it's anything like the windsock poles I have seen I would say that they would be too flimsey for an ariel. I wouls be tempted to brows B&Q's shelves and see if there is anything you could adapt there. Sorry for the negative answer Lisa, but were stuck with a "status" for the moment!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Lol. I saw them on ebay and thought they might be ok but I agree with you and think they might be too flimsy. I guess I'll stick with the large pole I've got at the moment.

Got a three o'clocker on Friday so hope I'm ok for Sat!!

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Lol. I saw them on ebay and thought they might be ok but I agree with you and think they might be too flimsy. I guess I'll stick with the large pole I've got at the moment.

Lisa
Hope you have a great time away in the van Lisa. I know everywhere is special in the van, but are you going anywhere "special"?

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Lisa
Thanks Lol. Not going too far, my husband has organised it, the child is stopping at her grandmas (not too far to walk to school). So quite looking forward to it. (It's my birthday on Tuesday).

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
lisa check out E bay item No 4615327517.

Tony A.
Thanks Tony, it's similar to what I have already, I got it from Maplins. I just thought if I could get extra height, it might be beneficial in poorer areas.

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alan

Can you tell me where to get exhaust clamps from and what do they look like? At the moment the pole is attached to one of the caravan handles with rope (not ideal). Are the clamps adjustable as the diameter of the pole is quite thick.

Thanks

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Lol. Not going too far, my husband has organised it, the child is stopping at her grandmas (not too far to walk to school). So quite looking forward to it. (It's my birthday on Tuesday).

Lisa
Happy 21st ;o)

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Lisa
OOOOh thank you. (26+something!).

L

Dec 10, 2005
Visit site
Alan

Can you tell me where to get exhaust clamps from and what do they look like? At the moment the pole is attached to one of the caravan handles with rope (not ideal). Are the clamps adjustable as the diameter of the pole is quite thick.

Thanks

Lisa
if you type this into your web browser, it will show you a piccy of how I did mine.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e278/sellingpiccy/DSC00841.jpg
You need to make sure that the clamps will fit round you jockey wheel stem.

You can either slide the pole in between the clamp and jockey wheel (not very stable and can squash the pole) or bolt a couple of brackets onto the clamp like I did. (you will need to drill holes in the clamps)

If you want I can take more piccys and show you step by step if ya unsure (no probs I`m bored cos the kids are a sleep!)

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Lisa

I think you have forgotten about some thick.

The height would stop you going under a lot of braggers with a 10/12ft pole on your caravan so just get a dish put on top of the van.

Mark

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The real question here is, would an ariel pole make a good windsock pole?

Makes you think, don't it?

No, must be me then....

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alan

Thanks

Lisa
Alan

Many thanks. If you could do step by step guide that would be really useful as I'll have to get my 'handiman' to do the job.

Thanks again.

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa

I think you have forgotten about some thick.

The height would stop you going under a lot of braggers with a 10/12ft pole on your caravan so just get a dish put on top of the van.

Mark
Thanks Mark - I think I'd like a new caravan with a status. Oh, only got a couple of years to go on the old mortgage, so who knows!!

Lisa

Dec 10, 2005
Visit site
The real question here is, would an ariel pole make a good windsock pole?

Makes you think, don't it?

No, must be me then....
You dont leave the bu**er on all the time, you take it off when ya leave site! I would be very suprised if anyone would be so stupid as to leave an ariel pole attached to their jockey wheel while travelling at 50mph down the road!!!!

Have ya seen the price of status gear? what a con!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You dont leave the bu**er on all the time, you take it off when ya leave site! I would be very suprised if anyone would be so stupid as to leave an ariel pole attached to their jockey wheel while travelling at 50mph down the road!!!!

Have ya seen the price of status gear? what a con!
Agreed, I bet Clive gets a better reception at an anti 4x4 meeting than the majority of status UFO's do.

Mar 6, 2006
Visit site
Lisa - check out www.satsalesuk and see their listing for caravan accessories - a telescopic pole extending to 11 feet which comes with clamps to fix onto the jockey wheel, you can just buy the clamps if you have a pole already ( bet it won't be telescopic though !! ) and yes, you can get the spares if you break a fastener off ! Owain

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts