Windy weather forecast

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm after some advice on towing in windy weather. We have a BMW X5 and tow a bailey unicorn twin axle. I towed it a couple of weeks ago in pretty windy weather and although I could feel it I never felt unstable at any point, just felt like it normally does when just in the car, those winds didn't have a weather warning like the forecast for Sunday and I'm just wondering if I should be considering cancelling my trip, I'm going about 90 mile mainly on A19. With our weather the winds may never materialise and it could be a weekend ruined if I cancel hence why I'm after some advice.

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
We're in the north east forecast is for 22 mph on Sunday, it's just our journey home though so can go as steady away as I need to, I could look for a more sheltered route off the A19 if it is very windy. Think I'll plan an alternative route just in case as I can't claim to be an experienced tower just yet!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
As always, check your tyre pressures on both the towing vehicle and the caravan, don't overload the caravan and place heavier items on the floor over the axle, and try to get your noseweight as close as possible to the upper limit for your towcar and this will give a more stable tow.
Avoid overtaking manoeuvers when going downhill and take your time.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Given the forecast we've now dropped the awning and wifey is busy buying pressies in Hawes so we migrate south on Saturday instead of Sunday. We've had 18 days away between Seahouses and Hawes which we have had good weather except for two wet days, so packing up one day early isn't a penalty as I can still savour a beer or two tonight at the local inn beer festival. 2013 has been so much better than 2011-12 I've almost forgotten how to extricate a van from a flooded field :)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Published weather forecasts usually quote average wind speeds - gusts can easily double the average, or more.
I'm facing a 19-22 mph headwind on Monday - that'll decimate the fuel consumption !
I only make two concessions to high winds when towing - the obvious is "driving to the conditions" which means reduced speed - the other is to treat official warnings/bans on "high-side vehicles" as applying to caravans.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Around Worcestershire we are supposed to be having gusts up to 37mph which could make the M5 near Droitwich interesting for any one towing a caravan.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The predicted 50 and 60 mph gusts are the problem if they do in fact happen. I do find that the weather forecast tends to take the worst view, we were supposed tpo be facing very heavy rain on Friday last week but on driving to Chester with the caravan we had very little more than drizzle so we have got a bit more likely to chance it these days.
Having said that we were caught out by some severe gusts in April this year and took the safe option of stopping at a nearby site when things got hairy. My plan would be to risk travelling but be aware of sites along the way where you could stop if you were having problems. If things get bad it is better to stop and take cover than risk everything going on.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Surfer said:
Around Worcestershire we are supposed to be having gusts up to 37mph which could make the M5 near Droitwich interesting for any one towing a caravan.

Surfer were you on the M6 in Safford services around 1300 ish today, or has your outfit got a Doppleganger?
Yours very dirty XC70 which drew funny look from owner of pristine S60 parked next to me!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We're in Scotland at the moment, where they take a more pragmatic approach to things - the biggest danger from this current forecast of high winds is the risk of trees falling, because they're still in full leaf and likely to be blown over more easily - so check your caravan is pitched far enough away from trees to avoid being hit - DON'T pitch near trees expecting shelter !!

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
otherclive said:
Surfer said:

Surfer were you on the M6 in Safford services around 1300 ish today, or has your outfit got a Doppleganger?
Yours very dirty XC70 which drew funny look from owner of pristine S60 parked next to me!

For once, I enter a plea of "Not guilty" as my Jeep is blue in colour.
smiley-laughing.gif

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
So pleased we still went thank you all for your advice. We're home safe and sound and to be honest didn't really notice the wind that much, the rain and lack of visibility was more of an issue but luckily it was just short bursts. Thanks again all.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
Prof John L said:
Surfer said:
For once, I enter a plea of "Not guilty" as my Jeep is blue in colour.
smiley-laughing.gif

But how can you be sure under all that mud?
smiley-undecided.gif
Prof
sorry for my badly worded post it was my XC70 that was muddy the Jeep and its Delta were absolutely immaculate:))
SUVs are meant to be dirty !
We can't have vanners posing as Wags in Chelsea tractors.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts