Winter storage?

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
Just a bit of forward planning going on now. Assuming the caravan is not regularly used between October-March for example, I wonder what the best way of keeping the innards dry:
1: On the warmer days, open all cupboards windows, door etc. and allow to air.
2. Keep one window ajar and have an oil filled heater on tick over.
3. Lock it up, and go to Tenerife for 6 months!,
4. A combination of the above.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Keep the windows closed, leave cupboards open,
Use it all year round , find a pub with hardstandings, no reason not to. Lots of us do.
Hutch.

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
Sounds good, thats what we hope to do, but if we do decide to go to our "home in the sun", I am still interested in the best way to leave our pride and joy.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Put a couple of the windows on the night latch setting, draw the curtains to avoid tensioning the roller blind springs, move upholstery cushions away from the walls and stand the seat bases edgeways to allow air to circulate.
These measures should avoid problems with condensation.
Drain all water from the caravan pipework not forgetting the shower head, and drain the toilet header tank.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Dont forget to keep your battery topped up. Leisure batteries, once completely flat can be a nightmare to recover.
I had an electrician put me an outdoor caravan point on a spare RCD and we keep ours permanently plugged in.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If you have access to 230v ehu during storage an oil filled radiator with windows on night latch would keep the condensation away and the leisure battery charged if you feel comfortable leaving electrical appliances switched on while you're out of the country.

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
Luckily we have a good neighbour who would keep an eye in things. I was going to use the caravans external power socket and just plug it into a fused spur in the house. As you say, would keep the battery topped up as well.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Windows shut, curtains closed, blinds open, open all doors and cupboards, no heating necessary. upholstery away from sides or take indoors and store. Solar panel keeps our battery topped up all the time. Avoid moisture collection traps as they just bring in moisture from outside through ventilation holes.

As Hutch says though, the best thing is to just keep using as much as possible all year.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Always done as Martin says, for years. No windows open, and keep the drain covers shut. For a van new to you, check the underside of the van and front locker for any possible entry points by small furry passengers.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
And if you have a nice sunny day, as it is here today, open every thing and let the fresh air drift through.
I agree with not using dehumidifiers, power better used to power a small heater.

pmb

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget to leave the taps open to stop the heads cracking with frosty weather. Yes , I have learnt the hard way.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is my view that you do not need to use a heater. Condensation is the result of warm moisture laden air coming into contact with a cold surface, as the air cools it can't hold as much moisture so it condenses out .

If you raise the temperature of the air a little by using a heater it will be ready to absorb more moisture. It will collect it from the small but necessary air exchange through the caravan's fixed ventilation. This means the warm air inside the caravan may actually have more moisture than the external ambient, especially during the night certain parts of the caravan will cool more readily (corners and cupboards) and the air in that area will drop its condensation. If you are going to use a heater it needs to be run at more than just a frost watch setting.

It better just to make sure the caravan can ventilate properly, and open cupboards and bed lockers.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
It is my view that you do not need to use a heater. Condensation is the result of warm moisture laden air coming into contact with a cold surface, as the air cools it can't hold as much moisture so it condenses out .

As the Prof knows, I had this experience only last week. On heating the van, and then checking the wardrobe, the rear wall was absolutely dripping. Everything has dried out fine, but once bitten

I will always leave the seat squabs up and cupboards open from now on, though I dont feel it does any harm to heat it up if there is enough ventilation and flow.

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
We leave the 'van on charge, the cupboards unlatched, everything drained and taps slightly open. The 'van is also under a full cover to protect it from gaining green algae as it's kept at the side of the house.
We do open the door for some air on nicer days too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts