Winter storing advice!

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
Hi
Whats the best practise for winter outside storage? Apart from draining down and leaving taps open.

Should we leave any windows ajar,or should there be none open?
Is it advisable to use moisture soaking crystals?
Some one mentioned to me about having a couple, of cat litter trays filled with silica litter to obsorb any airbourne moisture.

What do you all do regarding this ?
Many thanks
Pierre

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ventilation is very important to help keep things fresh.Keep all internal doors open including cupboards, and lift the bed bases so air can freely circulate all round.

Some people take all soft furnishings out and store them at home.

Caravans have fixed ventilators built in, which isn't massive but it should be enough. It shouldn't be necessary to keep windows open, after all that would be a security risk.

As for using crystals - no harm but frankly not much use either. If the air is constantly changing becasue of ventilation, any air they dry out will be replaced with damp air from out side, so you'll be waging a battle with no end.

However, if a caravan has been used just before its put into storage, its possible it will have a higher moisture content, so some dehumidification for a few days will help to bring down to ambient levels more quickly, but long term there is little point.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Agree with Prof. Wash van with Fenwicks cleaner. Then apply Fenwicks overwinter. Don’t use Pledge etc on internal surfaces. It develops mould.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
When you drain down, blow through the system to get as much water out as possible.
Yes open all cupboards and fridge, Ventilate the van as often as possible. Leave blinds open.
If your not using the van at all, move soft furnishing out or into the centre of the van.
I stored at home, I personally remove wheels and store then under cover, and place on axle stands to rest suspension,
I think the absorbent crystals are useless, as in a ventilated van they draw water in from the outside.

PS LATE Again must type faster :unsure: :unsure:

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
In addition to above I leave our van nose down to assist the pipe draining process. I'm not sure how much good it does but it can't do any harm. Someone will now tell me otherwise.

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
My caravan has a sloping roof,towards the front.So a low tow hitch should help with water run off.That sounds a sensible idea,i will implememt that.
Many thanks
Pierre

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
otherclive said:
Agree with Prof. Wash van with Fenwicks cleaner. Then apply Fenwicks overwinter. Don’t use Pledge etc on internal surfaces. It develops mould.

What would be best for polishing internal surfaces,that wont cause mould? Is there a particular product you use?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
LG57-UPS. said:
What would be best for polishing internal surfaces,that wont cause mould? Is there a particular product you use?

We’ve only ever used water with mild detergent as even the wood surfaces are lacquered. Polish can attract mould in the stored periods during winter even with the van well ventilated.

Weak solution of Fenwicks Caravan Cleaner or more often than not washing up liquid.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts