Winter Thoughts

Jun 17, 2018
Visit site
Just wondered what you on here do with your caravan seating whilst it’s on a winter break ? My mate said he takes all his upholstery indoors through the shut down period , another guy says he stands his in upright so it’s not touching the caravan sides as not to cause condensation,what are your thoughts on this

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Batman1957 said:
Just wondered what you on here do with your caravan seating whilst it’s on a winter break ? My mate said he takes all his upholstery indoors through the shut down period , another guy says he stands his in upright so it’s not touching the caravan sides as not to cause condensation,what are your thoughts on this

We lift all the upholstery away from the walls and off of its bases. All cupboards and lockers and doors are opened. Never had any problems with mould, except like Parksy Mrs Sheen went round the work surfaces and surface mould appeared. When ready for winter the van resembles an explosion in a furniture store. Although at present it’s used for storage of household stuff while we await the sale of our house. Could be a long wait as the market is dead.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
When we first started storing it for a few months we would usually take ours out over winter taking it home and store it , but since then we are out every 5 weeks in ours so everything just stays in place ready for the next trip now

Jun 17, 2018
Visit site
Also guys what should I do with the gas bottles can I leave them connected just turn them off or should I put them in the garage where to be honest the temperature in there is a cold as outside anyway

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Batman1957 said:
Also guys what should I do with the gas bottles can I leave them connected just turn them off or should I put them in the garage where to be honest the temperature in there is a cold as outside anyway

Depends on where you keep the van. When it was in store I removed the bottles as a precaution against theft. Now do the same at home. But it’s okay to turn the gas off at the cylinder and leave connected.

Do not store in the garage. A big NO NO. Could invalidate home insurance in event of fire Open air storage if not in van locker.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Only time I have dis connected mine is as when they have needed changing when empty ! Always left at the van connected ready but obviously switched off .
Don't know about your van but each time we leave ours make sure the TV booster is disconnected and off & that the radio source power is switched off also so that there's no chance of battery drain , the other way is to take the battery out ;)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Best thing is to keep using the van all year. Last February we were in Buxton in the snow. Toasty in the van and an excuse for mulled wine. :cheer:
Mel

Jun 17, 2018
Visit site
We have just come back from a site in Blackpool last week it was beautiful weather a little frosty in mornings but can’t complain at this time of year can we, mulled wine sounds cosy

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
Batman1957 said:

We lift all the upholstery away from the walls and off of its bases. All cupboards and lockers and doors are opened. Never had any problems with mould, except like Parksy Mrs Sheen went round the work surfaces and surface mould appeared. When ready for winter the van resembles an explosion in a furniture store. Although at present it’s used for storage of household stuff while we await the sale of our house. Could be a long wait as the market is dead.
Oh dear :eek:hmy:
Now we know why you have a relaxed axle :evil: :woohoo: :kiss:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
otherclive said:
Batman1957 said:

Oh dear :eek:hmy:
Now we know why you have a relaxed axle :evil: :woohoo: :kiss:

Well may as well get my penny worth out of the existing axle. While the housing market may be moribund I suspect that we could be in a new house before Alko supply the new axle. Third delivery estimate missed :-(

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you have room in the house to store the seating it does make sense to bring it in to keep it warm an dry but it also acts as a deterrent to thieves as without it the caravan is almost useless to them.
If you cannot remove the upholstery then lifting it does help with ventilation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts