Winter Vanning

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So how many of you have put your vans into winter storage? If you have then please don't! Modern vans are well insulated & heated and can resist the worst of most British winters - so make the most of your substantial investment and keep vanning all year round - that way more sites will stay open all year and facilities will improve. Please respond with your favourite winter sites, both Club, CL & commercial sites that will allow a 2 wheel drive to negotiate as well as 4x4's. For ourselves we love the Bath Marina Park (facilities are naff, but position good) or any CC/C&CC site - great for Xmas shopping.

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Mike

I know its a pain , hate winter. Unfortunatly my favorite site closes after bonfire night until 22 December. Is there some law which dictates this? Possibly something to do with the static brigade not being able to use it as a permanent residence. Info please anybody.

Going to Scotland for Half term to a site which is open 365 days and facilities are good. Can't wait

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike, I am one of the people that your post is aimed at, my 'van will go into storage at the end of October and I will then start wishing my life away until spring.

I would love to use my 'van all year round but the thought of rain, gales, freezing cold, muddy sites etc puts me off.

So I'll set you a challenge Mike and bearing in mind that I'm a single dad and do all my caravaning with my 6 year old daughter, sell it to me.

Roy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree modern caravans are suited to our winter climate but as aready posted with children the logistics are impractical. Assuming you can get away early by leaving when the children finish school you will still be arriving and pitching up in the dark and possibly in the rain. Leaving on a Sunday means unloading the van in the dark and you have to say is it worth it?

Now if i was retired and could leave at any time and return at my leisure sure i'd do it

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike/Big Roy

try cc site at Baltic Wharf Bristol open all year inc xmas hardstandings tv connection(take your own lead)and you can walk into town,pub next door to site

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree modern caravans are suited to our winter climate but as aready posted with children the logistics are impractical. Assuming you can get away early by leaving when the children finish school you will still be arriving and pitching up in the dark and possibly in the rain. Leaving on a Sunday means unloading the van in the dark and you have to say is it worth it?

Now if i was retired and could leave at any time and return at my leisure sure i'd do it
you dont say how old your kids are but if they are old enough get a big torch and involve the in setting up,dont let a little bit of dark put you off

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Mike. Just decided to take the van out of mothballs for another couple of months! Hope it is worth it. Hubby can't stand the cold but personally I'm up for it. Hope we don't have a divorce pending!!!

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
We caravan all year and always have done, We try to find sites with hard standings as grass is completely useless in winter and we do usually return to the same sites each year. we have a portch awning to use instead of the full one as its easier to dry if it rains and only ever use propane as butane tends to freeze in winter. this year we have a site booked every three weeks up to the week before christmas when we are away all week, we will come home christmas eve then go away on the friday before new year coming home again on jan 2nd, we then will use the van every three weeks throughout the year for weekends as well as five full weeks for anuall holidays. winter is a superb time to spend in the van all cosy and warm inside at night with the frost showing the true glory of the british country side in the morning. cant really comment on sites in the bath area as i live so far away but if your in the northwest try peak gateway in ashbourne or three rivers in clitheroe, these two are our favourites as they both have superb walking for the dogs in the countryside, also try holgates in silverdale, a truly superb site but very expensive and i think they shut for a few weeks each year. if you have not tried winter you are missing out on one of the best reasons for owning a caravan, holidays all year.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Me and my good lady can't wait for the winter season! It's our fave time. Empty sites, great time for walking- brilliant. Woke up last year in the Derbyshire Dales with 2 inches of snow over the site- that was fantastic!

Downsides? Our storage site lock up when it gets dark so you need to get back fairly early, and the van always needs a clean both when you arrive on site and when you return as it's usually filthy!

Yes it's windy, dark and visibilty isn't brilliant when towing but not really any problem. Each to their own I guess, one man's meat etc....

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I have to agree with Paul. Last year we were camped up at Moreton in Marsh for Xmas and it was great. You feel so smug sitting in your nice warm van. We don't really have a problem with storage as it is well lit and as for arriving in the dark that is not a problem if you have lanterns or torches. Once you done it once, it becomes a doddle after that!

May 4, 2005
Visit site
We are off to Sandy Balls in the New Forest for Xmas and New year .This will be our second year at this site and about our fifth Xmas away. The kids (4&6)enjoyed it so much last year.All the facilities are open so its swimming,jacuzzi and sauna everyday,meals out and long walks in the forest.Xmas dinner in a local restaurant(booked on the 2nd jan)and New year fireworks in Bournmouth.All the vans are decorated with trees and lights and every one enters into the 'spirit'of the occation. And as for the weather...let it snow,let it snow,let it snow.....Brian (",)

Sep 22, 2005
Visit site
Our last trip of the year is usually the fireworks rally, then it has to be tucked up for the winter, we then can't get at it until the 1st March (Also have to have a concession to get through the storage barrier too after the 1st November!) Storage places are hard to come by round our way, and we don't want a ridiculously long drive to get the van for pre-holiday spruce-ups!

I so think that the caravans are far better insulated than ever they were, so autumn/winter caravanning is a pleasurable experience. Rain does get me down though - especially with a puppy! I'm off to the dog hating forum now....

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Our last trip of the year is usually the fireworks rally, then it has to be tucked up for the winter, we then can't get at it until the 1st March (Also have to have a concession to get through the storage barrier too after the 1st November!) Storage places are hard to come by round our way, and we don't want a ridiculously long drive to get the van for pre-holiday spruce-ups!

I so think that the caravans are far better insulated than ever they were, so autumn/winter caravanning is a pleasurable experience. Rain does get me down though - especially with a puppy! I'm off to the dog hating forum now....
Gigi

What is the 'address'of the doggy website?

Sep 22, 2005
Visit site
Gigi

What is the 'address'of the doggy website?
Sorry Ann, I'm laughing now, it's not a specific website for people who dislike dogs, it was the 'Bothersome Dog' Thread/Forum on here. Some of the comments amused me greatly. Incidentally, I have a Sprocker Spaniel, so am not a doggy-disliker! AND she doesn't bark - ever! (Seriously!!)

Gigi x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Big Roy - we 've always vanned throughout the year, even when our 3 were only 2,3&4 years old, but then there were two of us, so I can understand your point. The great thing though about the autumn/winter is that there's less traffic, the sites are nearly empty and the leaves on the trees are a tremendous colour. What's better than crunching through piles of leaves on a bright & cold winter's day, then back to the van for a good old roast lunch & a couple of glasses of wine? Unbeatable. So what if it get's dark - switch the lights on! Give it a try - you'll never look back.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Big Roy - we 've always vanned throughout the year, even when our 3 were only 2,3&4 years old, but then there were two of us, so I can understand your point. The great thing though about the autumn/winter is that there's less traffic, the sites are nearly empty and the leaves on the trees are a tremendous colour. What's better than crunching through piles of leaves on a bright & cold winter's day, then back to the van for a good old roast lunch & a couple of glasses of wine? Unbeatable. So what if it get's dark - switch the lights on! Give it a try - you'll never look back.
I'm swaying Mike I'm definitely swaying, I hate having to put my caravan away for winter and as I said in my post "wish my life away until spring" I'll definitely give it some thought Mike, thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts