Winterhoff stabiliser pads

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone knows if I can remove my 2 friction pads, clean them, and then refit them. As they appear identical front and back could I also swap them over while in the process as the front pad seems more shiny/worn than the back, although difficult to see either clearly while crawling underneath of from phone photos I attempted! I have tried brake cleaner spray but this is also diff to administer and I use this to keep the towball clean after trips. Done very little towing since last service and was declared still good at that time and the wear indicator still shows good when hitched.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I have printed the instructions on how to remove them for replacement but wondered if doing so the plastic shell would disintegrate thus preventing refitting!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We replaced pads on a Winterhoff hitch with new pads, so didn’t try to put the old ones back in. From memory the old ones came out in one piece, but I am making no promises! I remember the job was easy and we are rubbish at DIY.
mel

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I replaced my pads a few months ago. The front pad was very difficult to remove. In fact, it finally came out in several pieces. I wrote about it in my blog. HERE. You'll need to scroll down to the last chapter to find it.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Thanks so much Jaydug, I enjoyed reading through the blog, picking up some ideas along the way, and found your last chapter very useful.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for your replies - I am aware that the winterhoff is becoming less common than the Alko head - which seems to make the pads rather more expensive - but having googled the pads think I will buy a set and then have them to hand if needed at the next annual service

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I am aware that the winterhoff is becoming less common than the Alko head -

Winterhoff has always been the less popular of the two hitch heads, although that's not to say that the Alko head is better. I've been a caravan owner for 58 years, with the last 12 years having a Winterhoff hitch. I see no reason to change. The Alko Group now owns Winterhoff. Why? For their expertise - or to kill the competition?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts