Winterhoff Stabiliser

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Carol, I have one fitted to a 1350kg 5 berth. I have had no problems at all towing with it and the van hasn't wavered ( I havn't though towed for any considerable distance without it clamped in the stabaliser position, so I can't really compare the difference). The only problem I have experienced is it releasing when unhitching. I now ensure that the tow hitch is not under tension (pull forward slightly if previously reversed) and I leave the hand brake off when unhitching ( chock the wheels of course). I have a CRV with rear mounted spare wheel and there is no problem hitching or unhitching.

Are you fitting it yourself?

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Carol

I have the winterhoff,no problems,or so the other half says as he is the one that uses it mainly! had some creaking at first but found out that was my towbar !!!(needed to get rid of the laquer)tow a single axle 6 berth, no probs yet (touch wood)!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Carol, I have one fitted to a 1350kg 5 berth. I have had no problems at all towing with it and the van hasn't wavered ( I havn't though towed for any considerable distance without it clamped in the stabaliser position, so I can't really compare the difference). The only problem I have experienced is it releasing when unhitching. I now ensure that the tow hitch is not under tension (pull forward slightly if previously reversed) and I leave the hand brake off when unhitching ( chock the wheels of course). I have a CRV with rear mounted spare wheel and there is no problem hitching or unhitching.

Many thanks Ray for your reply helps a lot

Kind Regards Carol

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Carol

I have the winterhoff,no problems,or so the other half says as he is the one that uses it mainly! had some creaking at first but found out that was my towbar !!!(needed to get rid of the laquer)tow a single axle 6 berth, no probs yet (touch wood)!
Thanks Tina, this is what we have also heard, it's difficult to unlock. Will leave this decission to the other half then I won't get the blame.

Thanks again

Carol

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Ray, yes we are fitting it ourselves, is it straight forward following instructions

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Carol, fitting it is easy but a couple of points.

When removing the redundant hitch make sure that you use the drift supplied to drive out the rear bolt. Do not remove the drift because it retains the hitch damper in position until the Winterhoff bolt is fitted.

There are a number of U shaped shims supplied for various diameter hitch shafts. Make sure you measure accurately. I fitted mine without any shims fitted, when in fact it required the thinest one. When I did fit it a tap with a hammer was required to get it over the shaft.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Tina, this is what we have also heard, it's difficult to unlock. Will leave this decission to the other half then I won't get the blame.

Thanks again

Carol
Carol, the same comment regarding unhitching is also made about alko hitches. Just make sure that if you have reversed that you pull the hitch out so it is no depresed by pulling forward slightly. If I do that and leave the handbrake of it releases easy ever time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Carol, fitting it is easy but a couple of points.

When removing the redundant hitch make sure that you use the drift supplied to drive out the rear bolt. Do not remove the drift because it retains the hitch damper in position until the Winterhoff bolt is fitted.

There are a number of U shaped shims supplied for various diameter hitch shafts. Make sure you measure accurately. I fitted mine without any shims fitted, when in fact it required the thinest one. When I did fit it a tap with a hammer was required to get it over the shaft.
Thanks Ray, have printed this out for the weekend, when we will be buying and fitting. Many thanks for taking the time to answer and for all your advice

Best Wishes

Carol

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Carol,

Very good bit of kit, but like some of the other Forum members did have a bit of trouble unhitching at first. Picked up the Caravan, dealer showed me all about hitching up (nothing on unhitching), went direct to site, backed onto to pitch perfectly....... then very "Red Faced", could not unhitch for the life of me!. After a great deal of help and advice from other Caravaners on site finally managed to free from car.

Towing though is rock solid and even the biggest and fastest trucks only seem to give you a slight "pull", so I would go ahead and invest in one........ rest assured your caravan will not come adrift when towing!!. Seriously though, now I have got used to it and just release that tension out of the draw bar it unhitches easily.

Reagards

Graham F

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Yes likewise to everyone else. Very good stabaliser. I pul a Twin axle Crusader storm. Sits on the road beautifully. And has already been said the largest of HGV's just give a slight tug.

The security on these stabalisers are very good too. Don't just think about it do it

Graham

I am also Graham F but I will stick to Graham

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes likewise to everyone else. Very good stabaliser. I pul a Twin axle Crusader storm. Sits on the road beautifully. And has already been said the largest of HGV's just give a slight tug.

The security on these stabalisers are very good too. Don't just think about it do it

Graham

I am also Graham F but I will stick to Graham
I know, there seems to be quite a lot of us on the Forum...... but at least we use our own names!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts