Winterisation

May 25, 2024
Visit site
When preparing my caravan for winter do members on here put their caravans on axle stands with legs down ? I thought maybe I should do this to protect the tyres ?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I always did. Lots will say it is unnecessary, but I felt it would be best for the tyres. Also. If a tyre went down, that would put too great a strain on the steadies.

John

May 25, 2024
Visit site
I always did. Lots will say it is unnecessary, but I felt it would be best for the tyres. Also. If a tyre went down, that would put too great a strain on the steadies.

John
Thanks for your reply . Yeah that’s what I was thinking , if you get a flat and don’t visit the storage place for months in the winter the tyre would be ruined

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In all the years we have been caravanning, we have never bothered with axle stands. Do people on seasonal sites use axle stands? I doubt it.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for your reply . Yeah that’s what I was thinking , if you get a flat and don’t visit the storage place for months in the winter the tyre would be ruined

Sorry, but leaving a caravan in storage unchecked for months is a seriously bad idea, tyres aside.

Even if you do not use it a regular check for various ills such as vermin, visible signs of damp etc. can save a bad situation turning a lot worse and a lot more expensive.

Reactions: Steam
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

Not just the tyre but the extra strain on the steadies and floor which is not designed to take.

I knew not many would do this, I think there were only a couple of us on our storage site that did so. But It was an easy enough job with possible benefits and zero negatives, so I considered it best.

I used to use these things, but I had mine made at work. I somehow managed to loose them!

1719779063807.jpeg

In my later years of caravanning I just got two scissor jacks under the chassis, behind the wheels. Dead easy to put in place. Just level the van and put these in last. They only need to just start to lift, not even raise the wheel. My reason for doing this on site was to make the floor feel more solid by taking the bounce out caused by the tyres and suspension.

John

Last edited:
May 25, 2024
Visit site
Not just the tyre but the extra strain on the steadies and floor which is not designed to take.

I knew not many would do this, I think there were only a couple of us on our storage site that did so. But It was an easy enough job with possible benefits and zero negatives, so I considered it best.

I used to use these things, but I had mine made at work. I somehow managed to loose them!

View attachment 7103

In my later years of caravanning I just got two scissor jacks under the chassis, behind the wheels. Dead easy to put in place. Just level the van and put these in last. They only need to just start to lift, not even raise the wheel. My reason for doing this on site was to make the floor feel more solid by taking the bounce out caused by the tyres and suspension.

John
Thanks for all the info I like the scissor Jack idea

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

View attachment 7103

John
Some storage companies for their own unknown reasons do not allow axle stands? I must admit it is the one security device we would never consider as too much hassle.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Some storage companies for their own unknown reasons do not allow axle stands? I must admit it is the one security device we would never consider as too much hassle.

I believe it's to do with avoiding the spread of fire between stored 'vans in the event that one breaks out. Though that of course raises the question of other security devices preventing them being moved.

I guess theoretically some could be removed easier than conjuring up a set of suitable wheels.

Reactions: Steam
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I believe it's to do with avoiding the spread of fire between stored 'vans in the event that one breaks out. Though that of course raises the question of other security devices preventing them being moved.

I guess theoretically some could be removed easier than conjuring up a set of suitable wheels.
With a tractor plus some chains around the A frame anything will move🙈

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Surely you don't just leave your van for months unchecked? We visit at least once a month particularly after strong winds or rain for a quick check for things like tyres, damage from flying debris, damp, hatches that have opened (yes it happened once)...

Reactions: JRT

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Surely you don't just leave your van for months unchecked? We visit at least once a month particularly after strong winds or rain for a quick check for things like tyres, damage from flying debris, damp, hatches that have opened (yes it happened once)...
We don’t leave ours for long; but there are several vans at our storage compound that are a lurid shade of green, overlaid with grey, and look like they haven’t been touched in years, never mind months. Sad.
Mel

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Indeed, but how many storage sites have a tractor available? I don't believe our CAMHC storage site does. Possibly if on a farm operated site, maybe.
I dare say their quadractor used around the site might make a decent fist of it. But anyway I wasn’t stating that all sites would have a tractor. Just making an observation.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Best way to look after a caravan in winter is to use it.

(y)
Might be if you never had to tow on salted roads, we found salt did extensive corrosion damage to lightly galvanised Al-KO chassis componentry.
The rusting and pitting might be just cosmetic if dumping the van after a few years but we look at way longer ownership.

After the once, the following van, from new I treated before it ever ventured out in the winter.

Further, I am not convinced that winter usage with the inevitable odd incidences of condensation from living in it, actually did the vans we had any favours.

• Haha
Reactions: JRT

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
We don’t leave ours for long; but there are several vans at our storage compound that are a lurid shade of green, overlaid with grey, and look like they haven’t been touched in years, never mind months. Sad.
Mel

Same on our site. There are a number that clearly have never been used or moved in yonks. It rather begs the question why they pay around four hundred quid per year for the privilege. Unless of course they may not currently be paying and the site owners are in the process of removing them.

Last edited:

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Might be if you never had to tow on salted roads, we found salt did extensive corrosion damage to lightly galvanised Al-KO chassis componentry.
The rusting and pitting might be just cosmetic if dumping the van after a few years but we look at way longer ownership.

After the once, the following van, from new I treated before it ever ventured out in the winter.

Further, I am not convinced that winter usage with the inevitable odd incidences of condensation from living in it, actually did the vans we had any favours.

They salt the roads so very infrequently these days that I don't honestly believe that to be an issue. And hardly a valid reason not to use your caravan in winter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts