Wiring replacement harness - Swift Challenger SE 480 1996

Jul 1, 2021
Visit site
Was hoping some one could help with an issue. Recently bought an old caravan to do up. On initial inspection it didnt seem too bad. The caravan didnt have a battery or ability to test on on mains so i took chance on the BASICS being ok. Needless to say... it wasnt!

It seems that a previous owner has removed 2 wiring harness connections and wires (i think thats what they are called!) from the caravan. These went from just inside the wheel arch on the right hand side, under where the fridge is, to the seat area. It would seem that these wires serviced the 12v supply for the water pump and something else that would have been placed under the seat.

Is it possible that there is either another 1996 Swift Challenger SE 480 owner who might be able to send me some pictures of the wiring under the seat on the right hand side, or even someone who might be in the know, that could point me in the right direction. Ive tried contacting some Caravan breakers but they seem to be unhelpful in this regard.

Thanks

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Harnesses are specific for each make of van and could be formed from many parts. A lot more info is needed to even begin to know. I guess your electrical knowledge is perhaps limited. I can only suggest you get hold of wiring diagrams and an electrical engineer. Particularly one who is used to caravans.

John

Reactions: Stespurs1972
Jul 1, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

After looking at the state of the current wiring I have decided its not that serious and there are some basic components missing that just need replacing. I am going to go for a "replace what i can" approach, then engage an auto electrical engineer for the important bits, like service and testing (ultimately the switch on, which i might try hire the services of a minor celebrity to cut a ribbon or something because that's how I will inevitably feel once Iget to that point!!)

Although, I am happy for any veteran (or equally competent) caravaners (in the Stafford area!) who has experience in basic caravan electrics to oversee my handy work.. please feel free to shout out and we can exchange numbers :) :) :)

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 1, 2021
Visit site
Latest update: Discovered the issues went deeper and the issues were due to a partially failed PMS7 unit, being mostly FUBAR so decided to replace all 240V and 12V electrics in the caravan. So I ripped out the PSM7, used what wires were in place (ie those that were connected to appliances) and installed a new SARGENT Control Unit and wired up to a new battery. Was able to repair and test both the Carver Cascade GE2 and the 12v fridge. All works a treat on 240V and 12V. Just need to get it all signed off by an expert before we head off for a weekend, hopefully soon!

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts