Women only car parks

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With the high rate of attacks on women in secluded car parks, especially during evening hours, Newcastle City Council has established a "Women Only" parking lot in the. city centre. Even the parking attendants are exclusively female so that a comfortable and safe environment is created for patrons.

Below is the first picture available of this world first women only car park in Newcastle.

carpark.jpg

Feb 5, 2006
Visit site
Sad thing about this picture is that it could so easily be genuine! So many times I have witnessed women using the 'Reversing By Ear' method i.e. slowly reverse backwards while looking forwards, wait for the bump as you hit the bumper of the car behind you, then move forwards 12 inches and stop.Women complain about jibes from men about their driving, but going on what you see on the roads I am sorry to say the criticism is deserved. My mother spent ages teaching me to reverse when I was learning to drive, she was determined I would not be one of those women who seem to have no idea what the car will do once the reverse gear has been selected. And how on earth can anyone reverse a car properly while facing forwards. I would avoid a women only car park at all costs - unless, of course, it had MALE parking attendants to park the cars!! (Yes, I know not all men are better at driving but I have only seen one man reverse in to another car)

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
I heard that Norfolk County Council debated this issue but desided that the area required, to fit roundabouts and crash barriers at each of the ten parking spaces, a rubber wall (for those 'parking by toutch' moments. was in fact too excessive. They desided instead to opt for a low density housing estate, an industrial estate with boating lake and a Country Park.

ttfn

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Thats the french parking method, reversing by ear. Also I witnessed on Parisian squeeze his Citreon XM into a gap for a 2CV by bunting the cars ether way inot the next car to get in.

My own french car has 3 bumper scrapes andthose are from english/welsh parking dodgers.

I agree only a woman could get away with posting the start to this subject, but the preserve of croppy driving/parking is not down to one gender.

Males also hang their ego's on the steering colomn too.!!

Steve.

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
Actually, that's a standard method of parking in Paris, and why I would always park outside & take the metro in. As long as you're on a level road, park in neutral, with the handbrake only lightly on.

I think a lot of the problem arises because many people seem to have no idea how big their car is, or how to select a parking slot and plan their approach to it so as to park easily and smoothly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When I was TM at that large national organisation with red vans, we used to call it parking by braille! The drivers were refered to as cras-test dummies.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When I was TM at that large national organisation with red vans, we used to call it parking by braille! The drivers were refered to as cras-test dummies.
Oops, one glass too many already! that should be "crash-test dummies".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts