Won't be stopping there for a holiday.........

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I saw a 'nice' campsite in Kent on UK Campsites and was intending to pop 'home' for a week or two in the summer, it's near the village in which I used to live. I emailed the campsite and asked for the tariff and asked if they accepted dogs as there was nothing on the website to say whether or not dogs are accepted.

Anyway, I've just received a reply and apart from the fact that I think it's rather expensive (£25 a night with just showers and toilets), they attached a list of rules. In the actual email I received, the owner put a really curt request along the lines of 'do not allow your dogs to foul the campsite, we have a dog walk, it goes without saying that it IS YOUR RESPONSIBLITY TO CLEAR UP AFTER YOUR DOGS - FAILURE TO DO THIS MAY RESULT IN YOU BEING ASKED TO LEAVE THE SITE WITH NO REFUND OF YOUR MONIES BEING GIVEN.

I was a bit miffed really, ok, I know they don't know me and they don't know whether or not I am a responsbile dog owner. But the way he worded it prompted my to send an equally curt reply back to him.

Please, let's not start up the dog mess debate again, but I'm a bit miffed and feel like a moan.

Lisa

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Isn't it better that this is made clear from the start.

I am a former dog owner and intend to be again but we stayed at a rally field last year where the dogs were walked along the access path from our field to the main site. Late at night returning with 2 young girls and the grandparents I would wander in front with the torch to warn those behind.

I felt like the guy hanging over the front of a 2nd WW destroyer looking out for mines.

It is not the dogs fault - unfortunately some owners do not care.

I would not find offence in that note - it is more likely to make me want to stay.

I find it a little odd that you made this post without wishing to bring the subject up again.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Garry

The owners had already attached an A4 sheet of paper laying out all the rules. There wasn't any need to re-iterate the dog rules side of things in the actual email.

As stated in my post above, I made the post because I wanted to moan. This particular subject has been covered numerous times in the past, along with unruly children, windbreaks and 4x4's.

Lisa

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa

I agree with you. Why can't site owners send courteous email replies instead of wading in feet first. Unfortunately they don't realise that bad manners can affect their business badly.

Anyway, chin up! You might have attended the site without prior knowledge - which would probably have been worse.

Best wishes

Ann

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ann

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was trying to put across 'courteous email reply' and yes, I did think it was bad manners.

Also, I think

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa, I know what you mean! I always hate it when we check in at a site and they read us a long list of 'thou shalt nots', which are usually things that we would never have dreamt of doing anyway. I'm perfectly happy to be given an information sheet that incorporates rules and regulations,which I am happy to comply with, but when they take one look at me and seem to decide that I am trouble, I begin to have an irrational desire to light a bonfire and hold a party for a single-sex group after three in the morning, while erecting a washing line between the trees! I think if they did this before I had even made a booking, I would do just what you did and give it a miss!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good post!

Another thing which annyoyed me is that he had signed the email 'name of campsite' rather than his name.

I would have been a bit wary of turning up with my dogs as one is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. What if they had decided to ban those before we had arrived!!! I wonder what he thought when he received my polite but firm email.

Lisa

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
LMAO chrissie, you have overstepped the mark now, you might get away with lighting a bonfire or holding a party for single sex groups but did you know that erecting a washing line between trees is punishable by lethal injection on some sites

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
LMAO chrissie, you have overstepped the mark now, you might get away with lighting a bonfire or holding a party for single sex groups but did you know that erecting a washing line between trees is punishable by lethal injection on some sites
The story of my life - a martyr to the laundry!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa, I know what you mean! I always hate it when we check in at a site and they read us a long list of 'thou shalt nots', which are usually things that we would never have dreamt of doing anyway. I'm perfectly happy to be given an information sheet that incorporates rules and regulations,which I am happy to comply with, but when they take one look at me and seem to decide that I am trouble, I begin to have an irrational desire to light a bonfire and hold a party for a single-sex group after three in the morning, while erecting a washing line between the trees! I think if they did this before I had even made a booking, I would do just what you did and give it a miss!
Why a party for single sex?

Just asking........

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
It sounds to me Lisa like the site owner had not long had a face-to-face to with some half wit over their dog's mess and you've caught the ass end of his fury. And you're right, 25 quids silly money.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
It sounds to me Lisa like the site owner had not long had a face-to-face to with some half wit over their dog's mess and you've caught the ass end of his fury. And you're right, 25 quids silly money.
Sorry about the wee sweary, typed without thinking.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Two Questions is the site Commercial or Private ??

If it's Private they could be protecting what may have been a large investment. If it's commercial they don't seem to care if you stay or not. It is YOUR choice and no one elses.

ever thought why it's a "nice" site ???

Val & Frank

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
It sounds like that text was a direct cut and paste from their site rules doc and might sound a little curt in the text of an e-mail, however you asked the question and they provided the answer.

Perhaps they could have said something along the lines of dogs are allowed but please remember to comply with site rules re. dogs as attached.

I still say I would not be put off of the site with or without a dog.

If they are that clear explaining the rules, I can not imagine that they would tolerate most of the issues that can sometimes spoil someones holiday at less well disciplined sites i.e. speeding on site, badly behaved kids and adults and lots of noise late at night.

An anarchist might argue that if everybody lived with respect for themselves and those around them than all rules and laws would be unnecessary anyway.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

It was a private site.

In contrast, I have cut and pasted part of an email I have received from another private site:

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your enquiry. Yes we do take dogs. If you would like to email us your address we will send you a brochure and price list.

Regards (first names and surnames).

You see, a nice email response appeals to me.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Jo

I've had a look at the CC sites but I need to be nearer the Kent/Sussex border, but not as far down as Brighton.

Lisa

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts