Worried about overheating

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have heard that there is a coolant that you can add to your gearbox or engine oil, I am not sure which, or the name or mames of the products. Could anyone help as my car is booked in for a service and I would like to tell them to add this product.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Richard, as far as I know there is NOT an additive which goes in engine oil or gearbox oil, and the additives which are available, like Silk50 etc can do more damage than good as they contain teflon which adheres to oilways and expands with heat and can block the smaller bearing oil feeds, leading to premature failure of bearings.

The only additional engine and gearbox oil cooling that I know of is the addition of a cooler, which is basically the same as your water radiator, but smaller and able to take higher pressure.

To acomplish both extra engine oil and gearbox oil cooling you would have to have 2 quite separate units fitted.

If your car has a turbo, then the additional oil cooler is probably fitted, for engine oil.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I'm a motor engineer and I have never heard of such a thing (thats not to say something dos'nt exist)We use a product in racing cars, when we are in hot countries, that is added to the coolant, effectivly it makes the water wetter thus increasing its ability to cool. That said its not the sort of thing i would suggest putting in a road car.I have always been of the opinion that a balanced match of car and trailor towed correctly should not need any mods unless you are going somewhere very hot.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts