Worst repair job ever!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
12 years on the Wyoming shower needed some TLC. When new only two of the walls were plastic lined . I did the other two from new . Taken me hours to remove my two panels and all the old sealant. Working in confined spaces doesn’t help so off came the door and ‘glass ‘panel. Final clean this morning and just finished resealing with new silicone sealant. More stuck on me! Next time I’ll get someone else to do it like Sproket when I next see him!
Any other horrid job tales??

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not quite on your scale but the darned Powrtouch covers are still rock solid despite applying heat, trying to get penetration oil somewhere in the locale. To be continued after 22 May. Saying that they will probably drop off on trip to Yorkshire.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I may be wrong in my explanation but I’ll try, behind the cover when you do get it off there is a square opening in the plastic behind and there is a box that has a thread into it and it pushes into the opening and when you tighten the bolt up it expands the box so it grips, so I’ve an idea the way to get it off is to loosen the bolt as much as you can but without it coming out, the you push the bolt in, not tightening the threaded bolt just push/tap the bolt and that then loosens the box the bolt screws into, when you’ve tapped the bolt you then carefully pull the cover off and the expandable box comes away with the bolt holding it, I got mine off more by luck than judgement or knowledge but if this makes sense it’s worth a try.

BP

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had to have front and rear panels done on a brand new caravan when it was a month old. The dealer did a disastrous job resulting in us eventually rejecting the caravan. Dealer also caused over £1000 damage to caravan due to incompetent workmanship.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I may be wrong in my explanation but I’ll try, behind the cover when you do get it off there is a square opening in the plastic behind and there is a box that has a thread into it and it pushes into the opening and when you tighten the bolt up it expands the box so it grips, so I’ve an idea the way to get it off is to loosen the bolt as much as you can but without it coming out, the you push the bolt in, not tightening the threaded bolt just push/tap the bolt and that then loosens the box the bolt screws into, when you’ve tapped the bolt you then carefully pull the cover off and the expandable box comes away with the bolt holding it, I got mine off more by luck than judgement or knowledge but if this makes sense it’s worth a try.

BP
Thanks but I tried that when you first posted it, and then tried DDs advice wrt a hair dryer. But whilst I can get them to flex from the sides or top/ bottom they are rock solid around the bolting area. Given we are going away shortly the last thing I needed was a breakage and any delay in receiving replacements. Buts if breakage is required then so be it as I want to carry out the lubrication, and being pragmatic £35 plus pp is cheaper than the cost, and hassle, of replacing any wearing parts. But thank you again fir the advice.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
12 years on the Wyoming shower needed some TLC. When new only two of the walls were plastic lined . I did the other two from new . Taken me hours to remove my two panels and all the old sealant. Working in confined spaces doesn’t help so off came the door and ‘glass ‘panel. Final clean this morning and just finished resealing with new silicone sealant. More stuck on me! Next time I’ll get someone else to do it like Sproket when I next see him!
Any other horrid job tales??
DD it seems like you very handy my skillset is cooking in all areas... you can ask my wife

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Finally finished the worst of all jobs , the dreaded bathroom and shower. Carpet courtesy of DIL off cuts. Roll on Friday👏👏👏👏👏

Attachments

• 2FAE8AED-D27E-43F8-8AEC-3D6D4C924F9A.jpeg
    2FAE8AED-D27E-43F8-8AEC-3D6D4C924F9A.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 5C2D11DF-4A22-4039-B09F-699550C58642.jpeg
    5C2D11DF-4A22-4039-B09F-699550C58642.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 24
  • ADFE25FD-3E47-4AAE-82C6-444E1568D634.jpeg
    ADFE25FD-3E47-4AAE-82C6-444E1568D634.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 25
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Found a small patch of damp on my Old Ace Ambassador. Toyed with the idea of getting Mobil man in to reseal, wanted 3 figure sum to do it . Thought Naw do it my self.

Bought all that was needed, can't remember the name of the sealant, but had 99 in the title, even dragged an old chest of draws out of the garage, to use as a bench.
Resealed the whole side, did everything it said in the book, stainless steel screws awning rails re-drilled etc. Used bags of the sealant, covered everything, everywhere it shouldn't have, including me, used far to much sealant. Spent ages in the shower, just couldn't get it out of my hair. Went to my barber next day, still smelt of terps.
Shortest hair cut I've ever had, the look of horror/laughter on his face was a picture.

Went back and re-sealed the other side, used half the amount sealant (maybe less), half the time cleaning up after, van was tinder dry after.

PS Still smelt of terps days later.

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts